“For people on a budget”

Ranked #834 of 1,064 Hotels in London
Portugal
“For people on a budget”
Reviewed June 12, 2011

I choose this hotel based on other reviews I read on Trip Advisor.

When we arrived at the hotel we were given a room at the lower ground, which scared us a bit, because we imagined that it would be dark. We were relieved to find that the room was not that bad at all. We asked at the front desk if there was another room available, they said that probably on the following days we could move to another room, but we got used to it and never changed. Actually, having a room on the lower ground had its advantages: it was closer to the breakfast room and to toilets we could use.

They asked us if we wanted to pay for all the nights we had booked when we arrived and hadn't even unpacked, but we chose to pay only at the end of our stay. I found this attitude a bit unpleasant.

We booked a twin room, but the room we stayed in looked like a single room where another bed was added. This other bed was simply not as comfortable as the "main" bed.
I found the place very clean and the staff polite.

Near the hotel you have the Earl's Court station that can take you directly to the main attractions in London, without having to change lines.
Yes, you can hear noise from the trains at the hotel, so if you are easily disturbed by this, don't stay there. For me it was a bit of a problem because I could only rest when the trains stopped (half past midnight), but for the other person that I travelled with this was not an issue at all.

The toilets are very small... I managed to use the shower, even though I am above my ideal weight. Perhaps the toilet is the most negative point on this hotel.
The area is safe and full of tourists. You have several restaurants on the main street and also supermarkets for all your needs.

If you want to avoid the line at the breakfast room arrive there before 8:20. When we were leaving for our day out in London, we noticed that it was around this time that a line began to form.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed May 26, 2011

I booked a double room at this hotel six weeks prior to our arrival in London. Since we were going to celebrate our anniversary I wanted to make sure we got a nice room, and I e-mailed the hotel. I was promised a room on top floor and not on ground or lower ground floor. However, upon check-in, we were given a room on first floor (at first they tried to put us on lower ground floor but I refused). My e-mail conversation was completely lost/forgotten. Disappointed, we went to the room on first floor, and that was by far the smallest "room" I've ever seen. I've been to boat cabins that are larger, and I'm not exaggerating. This room was a closet. In the so called "bathroom" there wasn't even space enough to sit on the toilet and keep the door closed - and I'm 156 cm. The flushing device was broken so we literally had to stick our fingers into the wall to be able to flush. When showering, you couldn't turn around without bumping into the walls - this was minute! Day 2 we got to change rooms, and were given a room on top floor, as promised from the beginning. This was also small, but with a decent bathroom and a proper shower and sink. Much better, and with a view over Earl's Court Tube Station where trains kept coming and going.

Staff were friendly enough and helped us chill our festive Champagne, but they had no proper wine glasses to lend us. Since we thought drinking Champagne from really weak white plastic cups felt a bit mediocre we were lent two juice glasses from the kitchen - one large and one small. Breakfast was very sugary, with creamy yoghurt, toast, jam, orange juice, a croissant and coffee/tea. It would have been nice to get eggs or something salty to compensate for all the sugar, even if you had to pay extra.

In all, a clean hotel with a good location, but with tiny, tiny rooms. I've stayed in a number of hotels in the area, and this one is more expensive than many of them. I'm not convinced these extra pounds are worth what you get, and certainly not if you end up in the cupboard-like room we did on the first night. I'm not unhappy, but I'm not convinced either.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a proper bathroom!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 11, 2011

I booked my stay with Trevidor on the the 25th of April with my Cheque card. When I arrived the next day to book in they asked me how I was going to pay even after my confirmation. I said I had already paid and they said NO, it's only pre-authorization and that my money would be paid back after 10 working days. I paid AGAIN in CASH - 388 British Sterling Pounds. I stayed 7 nights and 8 days and it is now exactly 12 working days after I have paid on my cheque account and they tell me I have to speak to my bank!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My bank has advised me to get the money from Trevidor and now they do not even get BACK to me!!!! They just keep on telling me to speak to my bank!!!!!! I believe it is fraud as I have read on tripadisor that other hotels do the same!!!!! WHAT NOW - NEARLY R5000-00 GONE!!!!!

Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
Mark0brien, General Manager at Trebovir Hotel, responded to this review, May 23, 2011
Thank you 'denisesinden' for your review.
It is not often I disagree with guest reviews as the majority of them are honest and constructive. I do how ever take great offence at the accusation of fraud.
It is common practise in the majority of small hotels that a pre-authorisation is taken prior to arival. This is done to check the validity of the card.
A pre-authorisation is not a debit. The money remains in your account but the amount we pre-authorise is blocked for a period of 3 to 7 working days. After this period if a 'completion' hasn't taken place the funds are automtically released.
As you decided to pay in cash we didn't complete the sale using the pre-authorised card.
Due to the Data Protection Act we are not allowed to ask the bank to release the pre-authorised amount. This has to be done by the account holder which is you 'denisesinden'.
I know my receptionist spent over 15 minutes explaining this to you and also gave you a copy of the pre-authorisation slip for your records.
I take great offence at your comments and will be asking Triipadvisor to remove your review.

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed April 9, 2011

I stayed there one night and I was quite happy with almost everything. The location of the hotel is fantastic ... a few minutes walk from Earl's Court Station. Every member of the hotel I met was pleasant and helpful. The hotel was clean and my room was spotless. The breakfast was simple, but tasty enough.

My only negative comment would be concerning the washroom in my room. It was speckless, but it wasn't much larger than one found in an airplane. I literally have bruises on my arm from bumping into its walls.

Overall, I enjoyed thoroughly staying at the Trebovir Hotel.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more to secure a double bed.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 7, 2011

I don't know where all the good reviews I read stayed but WOW. Worst bed ever. Single room is 5ftX12, including the toilet/shower cubicle (don't even think about having a shower if you're overweight, you won't fit). If you have ever seen a crew cabin on a cruise ship, you've seen this room, except the bed here was even worse. No TV remote. Trains right outside the window. Clean, though, and staff were pleasant.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
, General Manager at Trebovir Hotel, responded to this review, May 18, 2011
Thank you 'otto010' for reviewing our hotel.
I am sorry you had a less than enjoyable experience at our hotel.
We have installed modular bathrooms in some of our bedrooms as a space saving measure. All our bedrooms are well appointed and are very comfortable. The majority of our guests leave very satisifed and often return.
We buy our beds from a reputable supplier. The vast majority of people who stay with us enjoy a good nights sleep. I can find no record of a complaint regarding your bed during your stay.
Earls Court Underground station is a mere 200 metres away therefore there is some noise from the trains. However, most guests feel this is a small price to pay for being so close to the tube.
singapore
Reviewed April 1, 2011

Easy to find, just turn left coming up from Earls Court station and left again into a lane chock full of B&B hotels.

Checking in was prompt and they have a tiny lift that will take you up to all 3 floors of the property.

The single room with ensuite was small but of a good standard. Bright coloured walls, lcd tv, firm pillows. One nigle was the bed, which was strangely much softer on one side than the other.

The bathroom was of a capsule type. The shower curtain was good, and prevented most of the backsplash from getting out of the shower area, if you are a tall broad person, you might find the shower area a little too tiny.

The room had a nice view of the quiet street.

The breakfast was served in a small dining area, so if you came late, you would have to wait for a table. Toast, croissant, tea/coffee/juice and a yoghurt was what you got. Not bad for the price.

The surrounding area has a couple of good eateries (try the Gourmet burger kitchen) and supermarkets (including M&S)...oh, and of course, McDonalds.

Overall, I would return if I was looking for a budget hotel with rooms that are of a high enough standard and were exceptionally clean.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Siilinjarvi, Finland
Reviewed March 30, 2011

The Trebovir Hotel is conveniently situated close to the Earl's Cross tube station, many pubs and restaurants, supermarkets, shops and a post office. Yet, it's on a quiet residential street.

The staff members were all friendly and helpful, both at the reception and the breakfast room. The room was big enough (for London) and very clean. The toilet/shower closet (not really a bathroom) could be bigger but it was ok as it was clean and tidy.

The beds were more comfortable than I expected. The room was nicely appointed. Both tv and wifi worked well. The wardrobe was big enough and had proper wooden hangers.

The breakfast was continental with coffee/tea, orange juice, milk, cereals, toast, croissants, ham, cheese, yoghurt, jam. There weren't any fruit or vegetables - that would have been a nice addition.

One of my reasons to choose this hotel was that they do not allow pets.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family