“A level higher than Ottolenghi”
Review of Scully St James's

Scully St James's
Ranked #244 of 28,473 Restaurants in London
Neighborhood: St. James's
Description: Scully St James's is Ramael Scully's first solo venture. Born in Malaysia and brought up in Sydney, with a Mother of Chinese/Indian descent and an Irish Balinese Father, you can almost guarantee your experience will be based on a wide range of culinary traditions from his family heritage. Having had the benefit of such a diverse cultural upbringing, not to mention his vast experiences from traveling the world; you can expect an explosion of flavours using sustainable, locally sourced ingredients where possible, created and served in an informal yet refined setting. Scully has amassed a range of ingredients from homemade spices, pickles, and preserves through to programmes of oils, animal fats, dairy and sprouts, most of which can be seen on our working display as you enter the restaurant. Chef's former boss, Yotam Ottolenghi says, "He has an insatiable appetite for bold and vibrant colours and irreverent blends of ingredients, his kitchen is an exciting and unexpected place to be.
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I am an unashamed fan of Yotam Ottolenghi. His restaurants, his cook books, and his television programs have raised food to new heights all over the world.

Recently, some of his former head chefs have opened their own restaurants, including Ramael Scully, formerly of Nopi. Nopi is a superlative restaurant, and all credit to Ottolenghi for what he has achieved there. Nevertheless, I think that Scully used the experience of his eight years at Nopi to take food to an even higher level.

First, the flavors that Scully has created are truly remarkable; I have never tasted food like that. Second, whenever we've eaten at Nopi, the various share plates we ordered seemed to arrive in a random order, whereas Scully served our meal one share plate at a time, in an order chosen by him. He timed the meal to perfection; the interval between each course was just right.

Sir Isaac Newton once said, “If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.” Yotam Ottolenghi is undoubtedly a giant, and Ramael Scully has equally undoubtedly “seen further.”

1  Thank DerAlteBach
Write a reviewReviews (200)

Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

My wife and I dine out regularly in London. We visited Scully’s for a late lunch having stumbled across it in a Time Out review. We were not disappointed. We sat at the bar top by the open kitchen which gave the advantage of seeing food being served and chatting the to the chefs. We didn’t even choose, we just chatted to the head chef about likes, dislikes and allergies and then he brought food.

We recently visited both NOPI and Rovi (by Ottolenghi) and were not disappointed by either so I was intrigued that Scully had been involved in the opening of Nopi.

The menu is sharing plates with an emphasis on vegetables. We had 6 dishes (4 vegetable based and 2 meat). The standouts for me were a beef short rib and some dipping crackers with Kilpatrick sauce but it was ALL good. Note that it is anything but classic and you need to be prepared for tastes you didn’t try before.

Then we got to desert and had 2 chocolate choices of which the the chocolate sorbet was AMAZING.

It’s not cheap but then what is in London and we did hang around for nearly 3 hours.

It has gone straight to the top of my favourite restaurants in London.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Was really looking forward to visiting Scully as one of Time Out’s top restaurants in London. Overall, the food was brilliant with some real highlights, but one or two dishes were a little more average than expected for the prices. The service let the restaurant down though, there were very large gaps between dishes, particularly towards the end of the evening, which left a slight bad taste in our month. Would I go back? Yes, I would - but would pray for slightly better service to warrant the price tags!

Reviewed August 14, 2019

The most open kitchen I ever had the pleasure to view. The servers make you aware from the beginning that this is a small plate restaurant. That gave the 4 of us to many plates. All were wonderful. Scully was in full view the whole time!

Reviewed August 11, 2019

We were a party of 5 for a business dinner, our organiser wasn't aware of the sharing concept, therefore I would recommend you take this into consideration if you are taking clients. I didn't mind, however I could see this being uncomfortable depending on how well you know each other. With that said, a great concept, interesting food. We had the chefs menu at seventy pounds a head. Some of the dishes were spectacular and some were okay, all in all a great experience and love their no waste pledge. Staff were nice and knowledgeable, it was busy, so sometimes we felt we were waiting a little too between serves. Glad to have experienced it.