“A disappointing Christmas present”

Bloomsbury Club Bar
Ranked #1,186 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Bar scene, Business meetings, Families with children, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Bloomsbury
Transit: Tottenham Court Road tube station is a 2 minute walk (Central & Northern line)
Description: THE BLOOMSBURY CLUB BAR Set in the heart of literary Bloomsbury, The Bloomsbury Club Bar takes inspiration from the lives of the famously hedonistic Bloomsbury Set. Taking influence from the 1920's and 1930's, The Bloomsbury Club Bar menu celebrates the golden age of cocktails with a strong, seductive mix of forgotten classics and innovative new creations inspired by the Bloomsbury Set's infamous members, set against a backdrop of luxurious decadence. The bar is split into two areas, the walls in the main bar area are adorned with artwork and books synonymous with the Bloomsbury Set, with a subtle subtly English colonial influence. The secluded, heated outside bar resembles a bohemian space with booths lining the exposed brickwork and a canvas of fairy lights covering the ceiling.
Sleaford, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A disappointing Christmas present”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2013

I had booked the meal at the Landseer as part of my husband's Christmas present of a trip to see 'We Will Rock You' and pre theatre lunch. We were very much looking forward to it. We arrived just before 1pm. No staff were present to greet us and the restaurant was empty. We stood waiting for ten minutes but still no-one arrived. As we only had an hour before we needed to leave for the theatre, having heard a couple of staff clearing away breakfast, I found them at the end of the restaurant. They seemed surprised to see me but said they would get someone. A polite woman arrived, she did not seem aware of our reservation and unsure of the voucher we had. However, we were taken to a table. Her service throughout was quite good. The restaurant itself was ver stylish. However, the food which followed was very disappointing. We were told the soup was not available, only an alternative. I ordered this having checked it was vegetarian. My husband chose the Caesar salad, this was also advertised as vegetarian. While my soup was fine, I was very pleased I had not ordered the salad, as it had an anchovy on the top. Luckily, my husband is not vegetarian but he did not eat a great deal as it was very boring. For main course, I had the asparagus risotto, no asparagus in sight and I can only describe it as cheesy rice pudding, so much so, I was offered a spoon! My husband had chicken, some of which he could not eat as it was too pink.

This was a disappointing start to a special trip, luckily we had a fantastic time at the theatre.

1 Thank Jo M

London, United Kingdom
“Fab meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2013

Was an excellent choice for a pre theatre meal, food was lovely and price was good as they accepted our taste card in December!!

3 Thank Mimionhertravels
Ashdod, HaMerkaz, Israel
“very nice place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2013

very tasty food and good service as well. we booked dinner with a show "Will will rock you". it is really near the Theater , located in hotel near by.

3 Thank Rooslana Z
London, United Kingdom
“A Hidden Gem”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

If this was my restaurant, I would be making sure that more people knew about it. Booked a table for 10 for Saturday night, was pleasantly surprised to be told that they would accept a Tastecard on a Saturday.

The staff were not clingy, but you didn't have to wait too long either. The quality of food was great, not stingy portions, and brilliant flavours. The whole party were happy and in fact two are already planning return visits.

Great food and drinks in a West End location for about £40 a head....can't be bad.

3 Thank Glen G
Bergen, Hordaland, Norway
“Very good for pre-theater food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2013

Nice restaurant with good food and good service They manage a 2 course dinner well within 1 hour before the musical,Queen, started

• Visited November 2013