“Sadly disappointing...”

1901 Restaurant
Ranked #2,959 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: British, European
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Breakfast, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City of London
Transit: Liverpool Street Station, Conveniently located for the main financial institutions of the city, Andaz Liverpool Street is easily accessible from Stansted and London City Airports, and is a short taxi ride from central London.
Description: 1901 Restaurant at Andaz Liverpool Street, in the heart of the City of London, will delight your taste buds without stuffy service - but with all the lavish trimmings. Offering a Full English Breakfast Buffet unlike any other, 1901 provides, to quote a guest, "unpretentious luxury for when you are feeling decadent". So, unwind in one of the capital's most magnificent breakfast venues and soak up some splendour. Bask in a dramatic grade II-listed interior of grand proportions, featuring a huge stained glass, domed atrium. Seating 86 in well-spaced, luxurious comfort, 1901 is ideal for those looking for a new experience.
london
“Sadly disappointing...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2014

Hmmmm.... £24 for three course may be relatively inexpensive, but considering the great deals available in London at present, the food should still be able to compete. Extremely poor starter of artichoke mousse (congealed texture, little taste), the goats cheese/spinach parcel main was satisfactory (a la Greggs) served on a bed of pulses reminiscent of hospital food. The dessert (chocolate praline concoction) was surprisingly delicious, however by this point we had all but lost hope. Great service, beautiful surrounds, severely let down by the food.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank lailani

• Korean first
London, United Kingdom
“Awesome”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

I have been at the 1901 on a Groupon deal and went with no major expectations only because in other places with similar taster menu deals I was let down. Well, the experience turned out to be brilliant.

The restaurant has a great decor and the layout is very good. Tables are well spread out (a good metre table to table) so if you want an intimate meal you do not feel someone else is intruding the conversation.

Service was really good. Helpful, corteous, friendly and attentive (but not smothering).

Now let's get to the food.... possibly one of the best eating experiences I had.

We had a starter with three variation of crab. It was delicate and ridiculously tasty. The stage was set. Sea bass followed served with langostine foam... Yum Yum Yum.

Sorbetto and then we went to a steak fillet dish with many little tasty bits accompanying it.

There were a couple of things (super delicious) on the menu we did not know and at the end the chef happily came to the table to explain you they were made.

As far as I am concerned a must try and I will certainly be visiting again.

London, United Kingdom
“The Worst afternoon tea I've had in London”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2014

I don't know where to start. We had afternoon tea here because we were staying at the hotel and wanted to have a relaxing weekend. If I had known the whole experience would have been as bad as it was I would gone elsewhere or gone home and had beans on toast. On entering 1901 the staff were still in their meeting, we were an interruption and they sure made us feel that way. Six people we having tea occupying two tables so you would expect the staff to be overbearing, but it was the opposite they were inattentive, sultry and poorly organised. Worse still they were preparing for the evenings meal which is clearly where the priority lies. The table we had was right by the door, chipped and dirty. We asked to be moved, and it was like we were making a fuss. There was a limited tea range with the white tea off the menu. The sandwiches were just ok and were quickly removed and replaced with flat scones and 4 small cakes as the next course. That was it. No refills, no would you like anymore.. No sorry we were asked if we wanted more tea. The cost £29. We did have a discount but it was overpriced by at least £20. Save up some more cash and look at the tea guilds best places for afternoon tea, I have been to many and they are worth the extra by a long way for both the experience and the food. A dreadful experience and one that will NEVER be repeated at this place.

• Visited June 2014
St. Albans, United Kingdom
“Lovely meal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2014 via mobile

Had the 6 course taster menu on a Groupon voucher. Food was very well presented; although we did feel some dishes lacked in taste. Service was very good and the restaurant itself is very impressive. Overall very good value.

Visited June 2014
Croydon, Surrey
“GroupOn deal”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2014

Had the 6 course GroupOn deal with a bottle of Verve Clicquot on Friday. The food and service were great to begin with, I have a shellfish allergy and they were fine about replacing the shellfish elements of the meal. Agree with the other comments that the dessert is the least impressive part of the meal, but everything else was really lovely.

Only gripe was that the staff mentioned the word "GroupOn" about ten times which I thought was unnecessary. I had bought the deal as a gift for my friend and although it wasn't a secret that it was a GroupOn, I would have preferred the staff to be more discrete about it. I had already given the voucher number over the phone when I booked, but when I arrived and gave my name the host said "Oh yes, the GroupOn table" then the waiter mentioned the GroupOn when he introduced himself, then again when he collected the voucher from me, then again when he brought our drinks, then he referred to the menu as the "GroupOn Tasting Menu" when actually it's the same menu that appears on their website.

At the end of the meal the staff disappeared and we could't catch anyone's eye to order some more drinks and coffee. After 40 minutes without any drinks we gave up and decided that perhaps because it was a pre-paid GroupOn deal they were not going to bring us a bill and therefore weren't planning to come over again. We decided to get ready to leave slowly in the hope that someone would see us and come over, a couple of waiters saw us getting our coats on and didn't come over so we assumed it was ok to leave, I even waved to our waiter to catch his attention and he just smiled and let me go. We left the hotel and walked halfway down the road and then the waiter came running out with the bill saying it had not been paid and asked us to come back. I was mortified and explained that I had been trying to catch his attention for 40 mins and had thought the bill was pre-paid. When we got back to the hotel and looked at the bill it turned out they only thing that wasn't paid for was the £16 service charge!! I should have refused to pay it since service charge is optional and he hadn't brought us the bill for so long, but I was so embarrassed I just handed over my card and left as quickly as possible.

It was a shame because it ruined an otherwise lovely evening. In summary, I would say it's a nice place to visit with great food, but I wouldn't expect a 5* service if you are there on a GroupOn deal.

• Visited June 2014