“Excellent - as ever...”

Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: St. James's
Transit: Piccadilly Circus (Bakerloo & Piccadilly lines)and Green Park (Jubilee, Victoria & Piccadilly lines) Bus no. 9, 14, 19, 22, 38
Description: The Fountain Restaurant provides a deluxe brasserie atmosphere for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Eclectic menus bring together the finest food and drink, featuring established favourites such as Fortnum's Welsh Rarebit, HM The Queen Mother's favourite midnight snack, Oeufs Drumkilbo, and the long-adored Knickerbocker Glory.
Cambridge
“Excellent - as ever...”
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

A quick catch up with a friend meant we needed a good, efficient restaurant which was not too expensive.

Fortnums was perfect - two courses for around £20 and a reasonably good bottle of wine for £26. Lovely soup and slow cooked beef for me, and cheese souffle for my guest.

Service excellent and very friendly, and lots of advice and help given on the post prandial brandys (the catch up wasn't so quick after all)

• Korean first
  • Turkish first
Singapore, Singapore
“Freezing Cold near the window, average food”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

I entered this restaurant yesterday at 9 am in search of a full English breakfast. Fortnum and Mason is part of the British Heritage, it is indeed like the Mecca of English tradition, a sort of Downton Abbey of british food. The first thing that strikes you when you enter this place is that staff are not British so do not expect Mr Carson to take your order. I had asked for an Earl Grey tea but was served a Standard Morning tea. Food was average. No one refilled by tea pot so I mainly drank cold tea. I asked to be seated near the window but could feel freezing air down my back. I was indeed freezing. Overall it was average, it was not as good as I was expecting and certainly not as good as it could be. A 12,5% service charged is added, I would very much like to know if it goes to the owner (just like the French Service Fee) or if it is tip for the staff.

• Visited January 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Perfect”
Reviewed January 10, 2013

I had a late snack lunch here and my husband joined me afterwards to take tea.

Everything was brilliant - the service was delightful, caring and friendly but not obtrusive. The prices were high but I think worth it. One word of warning - they add a 12.5% gratuity to your bill so watch out for that!

• Visited January 2013
Brighton
“Enjoyable lunch but service was poor”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

When we arrived our table wasn't ready and the waiter invited us to enjoy a complimentary glass of champagne at the bar which was much appreciated. We were there for brunch on Sunday a couple of weeks prior to Christmas and it was very busy. I would suspect at most times advance booking would be essential. The room was noisey but had a good atmosphere and seemed popular with families with children which worked as the dining is fairly informal. As soon as we sat down the waitress explained they were very short staffed and apologised in advance for any delays. I am a little surprised a high profile organisation like Fortnum's does not have back up staff for such eventualities as the staff who were working seemed very stressed. The food however was very good and there were some excellent wines at sensible prices on offer. Even though lunch took rather longer than expected we thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and would certainly go there again.

• Visited December 2012
Hong Kong, China
“Poor service and is very noisy”
Reviewed January 6, 2013

The restaurant can get very noisy and the waiters are sometimes very impolite.

Quality of scones is poor, as you might expect it to be the same scone as the Fortnum tea parlour upstairs-ITS NOT!

Visited March 2012