“Best fresh ingredients in London”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Raison D'etre

Raison D'etre
Ranked #36 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, Cafe, European
Good for: Dining on a budget, Families with children, Kids, Local cuisine
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: South Kensington
London, United Kingdom
“Best fresh ingredients in London”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I was in the area and stopped in to check out the menu. The variety was tempting and I returned the next day. I chose the crayfish salad and was served a generous portion, which was perfectly dressed and exquisitely fresh. The prices here, and the quality and of food, are unbeatable. The cafe is always packed, and the owner and staff take an interest in their customers. It is a lively, inviting atmosphere. I've been back since and am working my way down the menu. Raison D'etre is simply the best.

• Visited October 2013

• Finnish first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Portsmouth, New Hampshire
“Disappointed”
Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

We went to this cafe due to TA reviews. The first time we tried it was Sunday, but it was closed. We tried again today and arrived about 3 which is, I suspect not a very busy time for them. They were just changing over the foods in the display case. The owner was very helpful and friendly. Alas we were looking for something other than a sandwich and this may have been a mistake. My husband had lasagna and he felt it was very un tasty and bland...was the tomato sauce from a can? Or do the French like their lasagna that way? I had the chicken Caesar salad with their chicken, avocado, combo. The salad was way overloaded with dressing as was the chicken mix. I could hardly eat it. The owner did notice this and brought me some plain romaine.. But I'd already almost finished so it was too late. He recognized that and offered us a cookie gratis to make up for the icky salad.

Also,the place has no atmosphere... It's a hole in the wall and the furniture is a bit run down. The chair I sat in was broken and my silk scarf got snagged on the break.

And it doesn't have a bathroom. We were told to go the dingy pub down the street with its tiny filthy bathroom.

We will not be going back.

Visited October 2013
6 Thank PortsmouthJola
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A feeling of France”
Reviewed September 29, 2013

Very friendly, had lunch, pasta very nice, coffee great over all a pleasant place to chill, the music playing was not to loud, the owner is very pleasant staff very friendly, we felt that it was like having lunch in a French city and not London, with a lot of French being spoken, sure to go again.

• Visited September 2013
Colchester
“Must go”
Reviewed September 27, 2013

The friendly service added to the experience. The food was well presented and very good. Choose the seeded baguette, well worth the extra charge. Lively atmosphere. Overall a pleasurable experience.

• Visited September 2013
Orlando, Florida
“Unique and exquisite in the sea of plastic chains”
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I are on holiday from the US and are staying at a hotel around the corner from this cafe. We go there for breakfast, they make an excellent greek yogurt with berries and granola and the croissants are wonderful. There is an extensive menu with inventive baguette sandwiches. There are thought provoking statements posted on one wall that encourage you to ponder life's mysteries while enjoying the delicious coffees with your meal. The owner, Matt is warm and engaging. He has a passion for making people happy with his culinary skill and his friendliness. It is refreshing to find a sole proprietor in a city full of impersonal chain restaurants that can provide a different and personal experience. We wish him well in his business and thank him for an enjoyable time. Your friends, Jill and Larry from Florida

Visited September 2013