“Great little cafe”

Ranked #51 of 23,211 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: South Kensington
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I visited this cafe because of the reviews on this site. The owner has given up a well paid job to do something he loves. It is obvious he puts his heart and soul into this place, as the welcome and food were excellent. You'll find it down a little side street near West Kensington tube station, which you would normally ignore. Isn't that the way with so many gems though.

There are newer reviews for Raison D'etre

Reviewed February 18, 2013

A lovely little cafe with the most delicious panini! Really popular - there always seems to be a line - this cafe has a great range of bread, sandwiches and salad. Basil chicken panini is awesome!!! The host/owner made us feel very welcome. We felt immediately at home. Highly recommended!!! From Russia with love :)

Reviewed February 4, 2013

We visited this restaurant for a late breakfast on a Saturday morning, and it was so relaxed. The street is closed to traffic on a Saturday morning and there is a great farmers' market that made us think about cancelling our dinner reservation for that night and picking up some ingredients to cook for ourselves. Anyway, the host is so welcoming, moved us to a larger table rather than 2 squished together which we had put ourselves on. I had the hangover remedy, really crispy bacon, avocado, rocket, Parmesan, a little bit of lemon, fantastic! The other sandwiches I had a nibble of were great too. And delicious earl gray tea with lemon, just perfect. This place isn't posh, each sandwich comes as it is ready rather than the whole order together, but it is absolutely perfect at doing what it sets out to do: fresh delicious food served with care and a warm welcome. And the host is humiliatingly good at switching between perfect french and english, how are some people so good at languages?! Lovely the way he greets so many customers by name, always a good sign.

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I'm an American living in London for the past 10 years. Although there are sandwich shops all around the city, this is by far my favorite. The ingredients are not only fresh, but the staff take some time and effort in preparing them. The baguettes are the best I've had in London. They have grilled onions and nice cheeses. The atmosphere of the cafe is warm and welcoming. Really, I hate to say it, but everyone knows that the food is better in Paris than in London. This is the closest you are going to get to that in London in terms of a sandwich cafe. Enjoy! I have!

Reviewed January 29, 2013

Even if i had a very good breakfast at my hotel i wanted to taste and something else so i visited Raison D'etre... What a great choice!!!! The food and the service were excellent!! A really value for money!!