“Still charming”

Bedales of Borough
Ranked #3,788 of 24,429 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Southwark
Description: Our original wine bar and shop is a tribute to Bedale Street, Borough Market and corner of London past. Not to be overshadowed by its neighbour, The Shard, Bedales is filled with personality wine; food; tastings; we'll let you discover the rest.
Reviewed July 8, 2012

One of my favourite places to relax with a bottle of wine and a platter of cold cuts and cheese - ideally sitting at one of the tables on the footpath watching the Borough market shoppers go by. Service can be patchy but has improved a great deal in the last few months. A new menu has been introduced although the focus is still on platters to share. To be honest, although the quality is very good, I'm not sure they're the best value for money - but this is Borough market.

Reviewed May 20, 2012

A group of us were there to have a drink and a light bite to eat and were appalled. I have been before but for their extensive wine list. This time when we tried to order food they had to go away twice because they did not have any more left and very little choice was left...why not tell us at the beginning what was available!!! Then, they tried to tell us the kitchen was closed before finishing serving what we had ordered....It took half an hour to deliver nachos, poured out of a packet, 2 small dollops of "guacamole" and tomato no cheese, and a panini that is no different to a sandwich bar that can give you at half the price and a fraction of the time. The fact that we had ordered 2 of each of these which took another 20 mins to be delivered, more concerned with kitchen cleaning! Go for a drink but nothing else!

1  Thank Oakleyto
Reviewed December 23, 2011

Scruffy, an odd assortment of tables and chairs. The food preparation area llooks as though its been hastily assembled by an incompetent boy scout. It will take them thirty minutes to produce a plate of toasted French bread and cheese. But its super. Friendly staff, good wines, no music. A place to meet a close friend and gossip. I love it to bits.

Reviewed December 15, 2011

I visited here for the first time this December and the wine was beautiful all though pricey but I was aware of that before going.
We had a selection of Meat and Vegetarian Canapes which I found very tasty and just enough at lunch time as we had a big dinner planned that evening.
Unfortunately the service was such a disappointment for a very cultured place,at first the waiter was very quick and helpful,we had the choice of paying then or setting up a tab which I found good but after we had our first glass of wine and our food we were ignored when trying to ask for another drink,in the end we had to call out to one of the staff which I find a very awkward moment also the whole time we sat there a member of staff was moving boxes of wine around and I understand they have to set up for the evening but in the lunchtime rush when the place was full it didnt seem it was appropriate.
Worth a visit if you enjoy wine.

Reviewed July 5, 2011

My friend and I had both been to Bedales before. However, last night's visit was terrible. We ordered the mixed cheese and charcuterie pate, £16.....we'd both had it before and had enjoyed it. Last night, we got a few slivers of emmental, some cold roast beef and a bit of spam. It was TERRIBLE. Sadly, the staff didn't seem to care. Given the quality of food/tapas/snacks in the Borough Market area, there is DEFINITELY NO NEED TO VISIT BEDALES FOR FOOD.

1  Thank Cafelito