“Enjoyable”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Kiln House

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Kiln House
Ranked #314 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Enjoyable”
Reviewed October 25, 2010

Lee Bender's mews house is a lovely place to call home for a few days in London. It's situation in the quiet upscale neighborhood of Holland Park, with bus service nearby that takes you to railway stations, concert halls, Soho, the museums and the parks. It is possible to completely avoid using the Underground here. The facilities are excellent...good bed, good bathroom, free wifi, pleasant and quiet street outside your bedroom window. The BnB also includes an old brick kiln that was one the site when the home was built in the mid-1970s, so there is historical interest. Lee Bender, a designer, is an interesting host too. She designed clothes that were sold in her own boutiques in England, and in stores in Canada and the United States in the 1970s. Since I was not feeling well, suffering from an infection that caused us to cut short our vacation, her help in finding things to do that did not tax my limited energies was valuable. There are excellent restaurants in the neighborhood--Julies, and E&O come directly to mind, but also an excellent coffee shop, Paul's, and lovely parks. A gem of a place where we will stay again.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2010

As a regular visitor to London, for both business and leisure purposes, this is the best B&B I have ever encountered. With a quirky kiln in the middle of the house, a peaceful location in a little mews street and a few minutes walk from the tube station/bus stops it is a perfect base to stay whilst in London. Also being close to the excellent shopping/restaurant areas of Westbourne Grove and Portobello, it is a girl's therapy delight.

The owner, Lee, has always been extremely welcoming as well as being a fascinating character with enthralling tales of London fashion, culture and styles, and some of her interesting fashion art adorning the walls .

I've stayed on a number of occasions in both the rooms and found them always to be clean, well maintained and secure.

Breakfast is a very homely affairs in Lee's kitchen where guests are able to have a chat or be left to themselves.

Located in a very safe area of London, I have enjoyed the opportunity to return to the B&B after an evening out with no worry.

I will certainly be returning to this lovely gem of a dwelling when I next return to London and would recommend anyone looking for a charming, hospitable B&B to do likewise.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Spain
Reviewed March 29, 2010

My husband and I had a lovely stay in this charming B and B in a cobbled street (a mews) in Holland Park, just less than 10 minutes walk from the colourful, trendy Portobello Road market an its beautiful streets.
The house was very stylishly decorated as was the en suite bedroom (with TV, coffee, tea). We were in a wonderful location in Central London and at the same time woken up only by birds every morning as we were surrounded by parks. The breakfast was served at a lovely kitchen overlooking to a leafy patio.
The lady that run this pretty B and B was very helpful and gave us a lot of good advise on sightseeing London.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Brisbane
Reviewed October 31, 2009

My wife and I arrived in London at the conclusion of a european holiday with Insight Tours. We had met wonderful people and were disappointed to leave the group. We eventually found the Kiln House B&B after much trouble as the taxi driver had never heard of the address. After knocking at the door at 4:30pm in the afternoon, we were met by the female owner and the following statement. and introduction to London..."You didn't tell me when you were coming. I've been waiting here all day". I apologised as profusely as I could, as I was under the understanding that our arrival was expected between 4 and 6 pm. The owner was extremely curt and unwelcoming, expecting us to wipe our feet on a mat inside the front door when the flooring inside was old dark bricks. Now I don't mind wiping my feet, but the manner in which we were asked especially after the introduction took us back.
Further instructions followed...don't make any noise when decending the stairs from our first floor room as the guest in the room below ours might be disturbed. We were asked what time we would like breakfast, and before we could formulate and deliver an answer, we were told that the other guest has requested 9am and the owner was not going to prepare breakfast for two differing times...so 9am it was.
We had planned to stay at this B&B for three nights. My wife would have none of this and insisted to me that we find alternate accommodation in the morning for the two remaining nights. We booked in that evening at a hotel near Hyde Park (and it turned out to be a wonderful decision).
Knowing that the owner wanted us to have breakfast at 9am we waited in our room until that time. We actually came down the stairs, being careful not to make any noise lest we disturb the other guest, at 10 minutes to 9. We thougjht that we'd sit in the breakfast area for a few minuts and discuss our days plans. Our host walked into the breakfast room at 5 to 9 and asked..."Didn't I say breakfast would be ready at 9?". To say that we were shocked and surprised at this question is an understatement. I have never been so embarrased, and my wife was doing all she could not to let the tears flow.
It was then that I firmly believed that making plans to leave the B&B after one night and move to a hotel was the correct thing to do. I explained to the host what we had planned to do and she didn't even 'bat an eyelid'.
I ask myself, why is this person hosting guests at her home? She is cold, unwelcoming and impolite. My recommendation to all planning to stay at this B&B - is don't.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Kangaroo_Springbok

Travelers are raving about these London hotels