“Underwhelming ”

Reserve a Table
Mon, 9/23
8:00 PM
Ranked #5,981 of 28,485 Restaurants in London
Description: GREAT GUNS SOCIAL is the new culinary jewel in the crown of Borough, helping to further the area’s long association with fine cuisine by offering a series of kitchen residencies in a programme curated by celebrity chef, Maria Elia. Hidden behind the unassuming facade of a public house on Southwark Bridge Road, our restaurant and bar have been designed to champion talented chefs through residencies, ensuring an ever-changing menu from the country’s established and upcoming talents.
Reviewed July 20, 2019 via mobile

Booked on the back of Sunday Brunch.

On arrival was not aware that we were on a communal table but fully accept that not being a member of the supper club fraternity that was our fault. That said, the people on our communal table were brilliant and added to our night.

The interaction with the guest chef was an unexpected surprise and appreciated.

Food was good if not mind blowing. I would definitely encourage you to give it a try.

Then we get to the bill. To be on a communal table of the venue’s choice, I did not expect to have to scrutinise the bill. It turned out our bill included 5-6 drinks from my cohorts which became a bit embarrassing. I am far more in the camp of it looks about right, pay, tip, smile and leave.

A decent experience, perhaps not to be repeated until the glitches are ironed out.

Date of visit: July 2019
Write a reviewReviews (27)

Reviewed June 24, 2019

while my choice on their rather limited menu for me since I am Vegetarian but I have a feeling this is done on purpose. This is not your average bar or pub or restaurant but somewhere different from the norm who make you feel very comfortable. I forgot about the limited menu(another reason it may be thus is that the menu is changed every couple of weeks as also the chefs so I believe. It is well worth a visit as although my comments about the food may be negative this was because I could have done with a larger portion and not necessarily the chefs fault. Call it similar to nouveau cuisine served with a style that is second to none in service presentation style and taste.

Date of visit: May 2019
Reviewed June 14, 2019

found Maria Elia in this friendly neighbourhood pub. off the beaten track it was cosy friendly and has popup chefs throughout the year. reading about Maria i think i got the golden ticket. the food was sensational. seriously awesome. i spotted Jose Pizarro eating with his friend too. i am going back before i head home. staff were friendly and explained the menu with a smile on their faces.

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed April 28, 2019

attended a 40th birthday here a couple of weeks ago, whilst I may not be a big drinker any more I was salivating at the shere stock and quality of the stock of the alcohol behind the bar.

The whiskey collection alone covers some of the very best rated whiskey and the rums were equal to this too.

The decor is bang on trendy, taking in the best of british music artists with the urban industrial look. loved it and the historic architecture of the venue is there for all to see if you look a bit further than the people you are there with.

The staff well, the staff make a place and this lot were amazing, I can't say I was waiting for service any more than a couple of minutes and there were about 50 people in the venue.

Having oggled up the harder liquor, I can't thank the the head barman more than my rating. You truley have a great place and it would be a pleasure to return in the future.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed March 2, 2019 via mobile

went with work friends for the samosa pop up as they had already been here and loved it. unfortunately the normal chef was not here on the day we visited but still enjoyed selection of samosas and a jerk chicken and paneer lasagne between us. as some of the drinks were included as part of the meal deal it wasn’t too expensive. liked the decor and not too far from work so sure will be back soon.

Date of visit: March 2019