“It isn't worth a penny”

Ranked #213 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
Preston, UK
“It isn't worth a penny”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2013

If you want a good nights sleep and peace of mind, stay away from Marlin Apartments in Stratford . It is so ridiculous that they can build a Hotel on top of a train line with little insulation or double glazing . i couldn't sleep at night , trains where passing every few seconds. Decided to change apartment it was 20 pounds extra a night and was told to pay upfront before i was allowed to move.
Move in to the other apartment and nothing works, radiators, microwave, etc.
Give this place a miss !

Room Tip: you need to be on the north side of the building but still will not recommend this place .
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank preston blue

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Storrington, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

I do not have an issue with the apartments, although you need to be on the north side to avoid the noisy trains. Reception staff are friendly, and the studio was of good quality, clean and modern. The water was lukewarm only in the morning.
My issue was with the price. `We booked through Hotels.com, my email confirmed a price of £80 including all taxes and fees. When I checked in, I was asked to pay £102 to cover VAT and booking fee of £6. The guy on the desk had no authority to waive this, and the girl I spoke to on the phone was quite intransigent. So, there I was in the east end with my wife, it's getting dark and we have nowhere else to go. We had to pay up. I was furious. Hotels.com have agreed to credit me with £22, but that is hardly the point. Our evening was spoiled. I am reviewing this here as Hotels.com hasn't published my review there.

Room Tip: Rooms on south side are for trainspotters only. Get up early if you want a hot shower.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Manas0taman
Budapest, Hungary
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Those who work at the reception are really, really helpful and friendly, but this is the ONLY positive thing I can tell about this "hotel". When peak time, there is no hot water in the apartment!!! The WIFI doesn't work, the furnishing is dirty... These apartments are very far from a 4-star accommodation. Avoid!

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Anita Z
DeclanCS, General Manager at Marlin Apartments Stratford London, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear Anita,

Thank you for your feedback, we very much regret that you did not have adequate hot water for your stay. It is certainly true that we have faced challenges in this area due to some technical difficulties with one of our hot water tanks, this lead to one of them running at 50% rather than full capacity. Only a minority of our guests have had similar experiences during peak demand periods; however we recognize that this would be frustrating to have to go through.

I would like to apologize for your experience and I would welcome an opportunity to discuss this with you.

Yours sincerely

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Terrible noise as a whole side of the building sits right next to the train tracks... passenger and freight running ALL night which was a total disaster when it came to sleeping. Also the vibrations shook the room to the extent the kettle in the kitchen would turn itself on when a train went past.. during the night, again not great so leave it unplugged! Stained furnishings, sofa, rug, chairs and curtains - looked pretty suspect and the room stank of stale takeaway curry when we got there. The plus was that the kitchen area was mostly clean.
Management really unhelpful regarding problems and only offered a 10% discount off next stay.. and I would clearly NEVER stay there again!

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank lizuk88
Dear lizuk88,

It was with disappointment that I read your review and please accept my sincerest apologies for any upset and inconvenience caused during your stay.

I am surprised that the trains were running all night as they are not permitted to operate during certain hours. I will however take these issues up with the concerning parties.

Again, thank you for your time in writing your review and I sincerely hope that you would give the hotel a future opportunity to restore your faith in us.

Yours sincerely

Wickford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2013

I paid £60 for a night (Sunday) and was generally very impressed with the facilities. However found the reception not that helpful and much further than the advertised "5 minute walk" from Stratford station.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Dear Owajon,

Thank you for taking the time out to review your stay.

I am delighted that you found the apartment to be of good value. I am concerned that you found the staff to be unhelpful. I have passed your comments on to the manager and instructed them to carry out further customer service training.

If you would like to make a return visit, please contact me directly and I will ensure that we will deliver a full Marlin experience.

Yours sincerely,

Vilafranca del Penedès, Catalonia, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

"Completely over-rated and a total rip off. Apart from the cold showers, uncomfortable beds,the managers don't care about the hotel conditions when you complain. A long way out of the city centre and in a dodgy area. Clean but next to the noisy train traffic."

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Brett H
Dear Brett,

Thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to review us. I apologise that your experience was anything less than satisfying. Our goal is to not only meet the needs of each and every guest we serve, but to exceed your expectations to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible.

It is our hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve you. Again, I apologise for the inconvenience during your stay and hope to see you during your next visit.

Kind regards,

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

I would not use Marlin apartments again. I have complained and have been told it will take 5-8 days to get back to me. It did not take 5-8 days for them to process the money from my account that paid for a service I did not receive but there you go!
There were various problems. The main three were: 1: We arrived back late from our son's wedding on night 2, the sofa bed we had paid for (and reminded staff about on the previous day) was not made up. We were finally brought bedding, a single duvet with no cover, a pillow and some sheets. The way the room was arranged meant a full furniture move was needed before the sofa bed could be pulled out ( something I had already mentioned the day before) so our guest just slept on the sofa. I felt sorry for the concierge to be honest. He was dealing with a incident involving a broken bottle in the hall (!) an aggressive guest, trying to cope with booking people in and move their car from our pre paid for space. He was clearly very very stressed. A definate lack of staffing! 2.Earlier the receptionist failed to book the taxi she offered to book to take us to wedding. This meant we were cutting it so fine we had to drive were incredibly anxious, and also incurred a parking fine. 3.The second room we booked for a guest had windows that slid open but could not be locked, the concierge did not have a key, and our guest felt rather insecure in an unlocked room alone and could not sleep. I felt very embarassed that both our guests stay was so spoilt. The place is adequate but my advice is not to rely on the service, and don't book if it's really important that it all works.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family