“Fun atmosphere, average food, terrific service!”
Review of Bocca di Lupo

Bocca di Lupo
Ranked #1,218 of 24,437 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Soho
Description: Tucked away on Archer Street in the heart of London's Theatreland, Bocca di Lupo is a vibrant Italian trattoria restaurant catering to Soho socialites and luvvies alike. Ex-Moro chef Jacob Kenedy and his partner, general manager Victor Hugo, have created this chic restaurant renowned for its regional Italian dishes. As soon as Bocca di Lupo opened, it began earning enormous critical acclaim and ever since, this buzzy and highly accessible restaurant has continued to receive numerous awards and accolades for its simple, well-executed Italian cuisine and casual ambiance. The dining room at Bocca di Lupo is dressed with canvases by Haidee Becker, or if you���re seeking art in motion, curious culinarians may dine at the chef's counter with views of the kitchen at work. Signature dishes include the rustic pork and foie gras sausage with faro and porcini; and the burnt almond granita with bitter chocolate sorbet.
Reviewed May 5, 2013

We arrived at 10pm after seeing The Book of Mormon (fabulous show btw!). Our table was reserved for 10:15pm.

The restaurant was packed and crowded. The premises are small but attractive. We were greeted cheerily and professionally by the lovely hostess.

Our table was not ready but would be by the time of our reservation; the previous guests were on their desserts, we were told. Unfortunately there wasn't really anywhere suitable to wait, still less have a drink. No matter; within 10 mins we were seated.

The Sardinian red wine at about £30/bottle (£6.50/glass) is very good.

The menu is varied but in very small print making it difficult to read, especially in the low light. There's a good variety of interesting sounding dishes.

For our starters, I had the very pea-heavy minestrone. It lacked colour and interest. No parmesan was offered and I would have welcomed some! Christine had an exquisite buffalo mozzarella appetizer. A dollop of the cheese in my soup added much-required taste!

For our mains, Christine had the clam stew in breadcrumbs and I had the sea bream. The fish came unfilleted with head which I never like; but our server cheerfully filleted it for me. We shared a spicy courgettes-based side dish which added much-needed interest to otherwise lacklustre dishes.

The tables are packed together so we easily slipped into conversation with the diners next to us. We would not have been able to have a private conversation.

The service was prompt, caring and very friendly. Full marks for service!

The bill came to just short of £100 including a 12.5% automatic service charge. I thought that was expensive for 2 courses and wine in a casual restaurant.

It was a fun atmosphere and a great place to go for dinner when you're visiting one of the many nearby theatres.

2  Thank Tony C
Write a ReviewReviews (1,866)

Reviewed May 3, 2013

I was entertained to lunch yesterday. The atmosphere was frenetic. The waitress pestered us to take the order explaining that we might have to wait a long time if we didn't do as she suggested. We were not in a hurry. The food came fairly quickly and was good. We had a nice dessert also and coffee. My companion went to the loo and the maitre d' asked if we could leave as someone waiting had difficulty standing. We saw no such person when we left although there were people waiting. This episode could explain why the waitress was interested in our ordering speedily.
Generally I would classify the restaurant as middle of the road and like one of the very recent reviewers I will not be visiting again.

Reviewed May 2, 2013

As a New Yorker, I have made 20 some odd trips to London and certainly have acquired my favorites over the years. I always try to find at least one new restaurant on my trip and this time it was Bocca di Lupo. I would call this restaurant Nuveau Italian and not classic by any means. The food is all good if not spectacular.......fried things are on the edge of greasy, grilled foods slightly underflavored. Only the buratta starter was quite spot on. The service is good, with servers running about amid cramped tables. I do not feel the need to return.

Reviewed April 30, 2013

It's been years since my taste buds were so tenderly caressed. Food perfection. Attentive service. Lovely atmosphere. Do not miss it if in London.

3  Thank Lihit
Reviewed April 28, 2013

I wouldn't know where to begin!! I wish it were more in covent garden or in SW I'd eat there every chance I got....Lots of little plates sort of like Ottolenghi, but Italian, and every one was so delicious I wouldn't know how to put it into words! very busy and crowded, but who cares!

2  Thank estherwilliams