“Average food, dated feel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Il Borgo

Il Borgo
Ranked #12,616 of 22,373 Restaurants in London
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: South Kensington
London, United Kingdom
“Average food, dated feel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

This was a one-off for me: I haven't eaten here before, and I doubt whether I will choose it again. Looking for somewhere near to my hotel where I hadn't eaten before, I decided to try this restaurant as I fancied a pizza.

The food itself was ok but nothing special; the menu is worryingly long, and I always get a bit scared when the menu has pictures of the food (as the pudding menu does). A starter of gamberoni alla diavola comprised four or five average-sized prawns with some salad; it was certainly spicy - there were lots of bits of chilli in it. On to a main course of a pizza which was again average at best; it had the taste and feel of a reasonably good-quality, supermarket-bought pizza rather than a restaurant pizza; there was nothing to suggest that it was cooked in a proper pizza oven, with no nice burnt edges of pizza base, but the taste was ok.

So, average food, but the prices are reasonable so it's hard to complain when the food was perfectly edible. The ambience was cool in every sense - the restaurant was chilly (I was seated near the door though) and the service perfunctory, with a sense of "going through the motions". Combine this with a very dated decor, cheesy Italian music and a lack of "buzz", and it all points to a rather gloomy eating experience. Having said that, there were one or two diners who seemed to be regulars, so clearly some people are happy with what's on offer.

If you choose this restaurant you'll get a reasonable meal at better than average prices for the area. However, I have to say that there are better options in the locality, at similar or slightly higher prices.

• Visited February 2013
1 Thank Richard P

Little Rock, Arkansas
“Nice Restaurant with a Relaxing Atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

We were staying in an apartment just up the road and had passed by several times before deciding to give Il Borgo a try.

We weren't out for anything exotic so just had good Italian comfort food, Spaghetti & meatballs for me and penne with chicken and red pepper in a creamy tomato sauce for the wife. Along with a glass of the house red it made for an enjoyable tasty meal.

A good place to eat that we recommend.

• Visited September 2012
Shefford, United Kingdom
“Nice Meal, Huge Menu, Good Service from Waiter But Miserable Waitress”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We had our evening meal in this restaurant on Saturday as we were staying in a hotel just around the corner. When we arrived there were only 2 other tables with diners but they left fairly soon after so it was just us for the remainder of the evening. The service was good from the two waiters (one possibly the owner ?) but the young lady behind the counter looked totally bored and disinterested which didn't give a good impression.
There is a good, varied menu; we both had avocado stuffed with crab and prawns in a cheese sauce which was tasty then for mains I had tagliatelle in a tomato, prawns and chilli sauce which was really nice. Hubby had a decent sized fillet steak which was cooked as requested (med rare) with a brandy and pepper sauce but the best bit was their cauliflower cheese - really yummy as they use parmesan cheese. There isn't a cover charge but we asked for an extra flatbread to dip in the sauce and were charged £1.50. I think the service charge was 12½% but it should be up to the customer what they want to pay but as we had good service (there wasn't anyone else there to serve) we didn't query it. It came to around £75, inc service charge, for 2 starters, bread, 2 mains, one side order (which are not included in the main meals), , extra bread, a bottle of house wine and an Amaretto...
I liked the Italian scenes on the wall and the artwork on the ceiling with part of the restaurant feeling like you were sitting outside under a grape vine. Gentle Italian music played in the background.
When we left at 11pm I joked to the young lady that I bet she was glad she could go home now and she didn't even smile...

• Visited August 2012
Denver
“Empty, huge menu that all tastes the same, terrible waitress”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2012

We went on a Wednesday night, rainy--no surprise. We arrived around 8 and we were the only table besides what appeared to be the owner. Our waitress could not communicate at all. Not only was her English poor, she had no ability to communicate any emotion, appreciation, direction or anything. The menu was huge, but it all seemed to taste the same when we shared our dishes (two couples). We left very disappointed we wasted an eating experience in London. Find someplace else to eat Italian.

• Visited July 2012
london
“Little Italy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 20, 2012

We were not sure when our concert would finish, but the very helpful waiter gave us his card so we could text or phone him from the concert hall to tell him our timing. A great little restaurant...delicious reasonably priced food, amazing murals all over the walls and ceilings.
It is only a few minutes from Gloucester Rd. Tube .station or The Albert Hall, I would definitely go back.

• Visited July 2012