Tripadvisor
London
Open today: 10:45 AM - 8:00 PM

Recommended experiences in and around London
from $32.55
from $17.76
from $111.80
from $46.17
More Info
All reviews immersive experience level of difficulty great fun problem solving story line set the scene game master alfie puzzles spooky storyline hints bermondsey teamwork tension mysterious adventure
Selected filters
Reviewed January 5, 2020

We tried two of the escape rooms here (The Escapist and Hypersomnia) and enjoyed both of them immensely; they were among the best escape rooms we've experienced. I particularly enjoyed the immersion of the game start: there is no front desk, you just show up to your designated room at exactly the start time and you're given an introduction by an actor in character. The two games were very different from each other, so it was well worth doing both. My wife is a game designer and says these were the most narratively compelling escape rooms she's experienced.

One thing: we came as a couple, and the online booking for some of the rooms (including Hypersomnia) won't let you book for groups of less than three. They did let us book the Escapist online for two; once we finished it we asked in person whether we could book Hypersomnia as well, and they let us and it was fine. If you are in a group of less than three and it doesn't allow you to book, you might want to call them.

The last escape challenge you'll face is getting out of the building after you're done! Opening the door out is tricky and if you can't figure it out you're pretty much stuck inside. (On this one I'll give you a spoiler: you have to go to the door beside the gate and hold the "open door" button while you open the door yourself. If you just push the button nothing will happen.)

Date of experience: January 2020
1  Thank BostonHoser
Jay H, Owner at Modern Fables Escape Rooms, responded to this reviewResponded January 14, 2020

Thanks for a top-notch review! We spend a lot of time working on our narratives so it's great to hear you enjoyed them so much!

For others reading this review: we now have The Oracles and The Escapist available as two-player games. Hypersomnia is a little different as it's designed for 3+ people but call ahead and we'll see what we can do!

Reviewed December 16, 2019

Can't recommend Modern Fables enough - the Escapist was fantastic. We had so much fun and were very impressed with the ingenuity of the set, the plot, and the 'behind the scenes' interaction (ie the subtle and not so subtle hints when we were going in the wrong direction!)
Highly recommend

1  Thank dannistyles

So glad you had so much fun! Our main aim is to make you feel like you've stepped into the pages of a story so it's great to hear all the elements you mentioned reflect this!

Reviewed December 9, 2019

Visited last Saturday to do the escapist. Have done a few escape rooms before but this was my favorite. Group of 6, did the escapist. Thought it was a good level of difficulty and spooky. Good value for money. "Alfie" was a great addition.

1  Thank 56beccah

We're honoured to be your favourite! I'll send your love on to Alfie... once he's stopped creeping people out of course...

Reviewed December 7, 2019 via mobile

We had a really great time - highly recommend. It was like being in your own Dr Who episode! We did the Hypersomnia room.

1  Thank EmmaA512

Hypersomnia are very pleased you enjoyed your inter-dimensional getaway despite the dangers incurred.

We feel it is important you are able to experience different versions of Yourself through inter-dimensional travel so that you may be the very best version of You.

Reviewed December 1, 2019

My boyfriend, parents & I did the Escapist room for my dad’s birthday; whilst we are both experienced ‘Escapers’, this was my parents first time... and they loved it! Great, eerie (but not too eerie!) atmosphere, creative, varied puzzles, and whilst it was challenging overall, I would highly recommend this room both for teams of first timers and experienced gamers (my boyfriend, for example, has escaped from 20+ rooms & loved this challenge!!).
I also would like to highly commend the staff, Jay and ‘Alfie’, for being so wonderful and kind; they made the entire experience so memorable.

1  Thank 151lizziel

Thanks! I'm so glad we were able to make your Dad's birthday so memorable!