“Fabulous!”
Review of Vanilla Black

Vanilla Black
Reserve with OpenTable
Vanilla Black is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #1,092 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: City of London
Description: Your mother's mantra of "eat your vegetables" probably never brought to mind dishes quite like this. Vanilla Black restaurant, originally from York but now located in the City of London near Chancery Lane, smashes the stereotype of bland, lentil-laden hippie dishes. Instead, Vanilla Black takes a modern, imaginative and ambitious approach to vegetarian cuisine. Result? It is the only vegetarian restaurant in London that's recommended in the Michelin Guide. At Vanilla Black, it's not "vegetarian cooking", it's "vegetable cuisine". The dining areas are spacious and done with art deco-esque flair, Vanilla Black's cool and comfortable dining room sets the stage for its innovative cuisine. Dishes such as hickory smoked duck egg and Ducketts Caerphilly pudding and sweet potato vindaloo with saffron risotto are sure to make an impression on even the most diehard carnivore. Vanilla Black's desserts like carrot cake and orange sorbet with crystallised coriander delight the palate.
Gloucestershire, United Kingdom
“Fabulous!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I loved this restaurant. It made such a change to be able to look at a menu and be able to eat anything from it, rather than be relegated to a risotto or pasta. If you are looking for a vegetarian restaurant that just serves straightforward vege food this is not the place for you. However if you are adventurous and able to appreciate very clever cooking, all the while enjoying amazing flavours and generous portions, you need to visit Vanilla Black. My husband is a committed meat eater and he loved it. We will definitely be back.

4 Thank PhysioDevon

bristol
“Superb!!”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

In London for just 2 nights, we soooo wished we had visited Vanilla Black the first evening, cos we would have definitely been back the second. This meal made our trip! This is stunning imaginative, skillfully prepared food. From the amusee bouche, wow! violet yoghourt, everything that followed was better and better. Amazing flavours, detail and presentation, with lovely knowledgeable friendly staff. Absolutel faultless. I will tell everyone I know to try and go there, and I wish I lived nearer, cos I would just love to work my way through the menu. Just GO.

3 Thank choosyBristol
UK country bumpkin
“Not just the best veggie restaurant - the best restaurant!”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

I am a committed carnivore and not at all keen on vegetables. Not only is Vanilla Black the best veggie restaurant I've visited, it is one of the best restaurants I've ever eaten in. (My partner is veggie, so I have experience, mostly bad!) but the fact there's no meat is simply irrelevant.
It started off with the smoked butter on fabulous home-baked rolls which was utterly amazing, and then just got better. My whipped potato started was a revelation. Everything beautifully presented with attentive and friendly staff. Lovely surroundings. I have recommended it to all my friends. Also, the special lunch menu consisted of dishes that were on the a la carte, which made it fantastic value, and the range of options spoiled us for choice.

5 Thank IguanaPhile
“Disappointing.”
Reviewed January 28, 2013

Vanilla black, despite its reputation and michelin recommendation - is a disappointment. Attentive and friendly staff, who are happy to help, and always nearby. Yet it is the food that lets it down. un-usual is an under-statement. This quirky and odd combination of food is horrid. When we had our bread bought to our table accompanied by a smoked butter- after the novelty of opening the jar and smoke rising out wore off, the butter and all that it touched tasted like ash. It was not at all enjoyable, and left a lingering smokiness that took over your whole palate. Then at main course and starter there was far too much salt on the food, so much so that when my meal was delivered there was a thick layer of salt on top that you could cut off with your knife, it seemed to be the only taste on the whole plate. We then asked fro the desert menu - an assemble of weird and wacky combinations of sweet and savour things like green pepper cheese cake. We did not order a dessert. More than anything Vanilla Black is a dissapointment.

• Visited January 2013
2 Thank Rowanhinder
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Fabulous”
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

We went to Vanilla Black as a belated Xmas present. We have been before and were delighted with the food. This time was equally as good. The quality of the food is exceptional. The staff are friendly and with the right amount of attentiveness. This restaurant is a must, especially if you are a vegetarian or just love food.

4 Thank MartynR61