“no imagination or skill creating vegetarian alternatives”

York & Albany Hotel
Ranked #672 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I'm sure this won't come a surprise to vegetarians out there. This restaurant was chosen for a bithday by my sister, so here goes with the overview of the vegetarian meal. The menu for the group was set and the veggie choices were shared in advance and they were pasta, pasta or risotto... we chose a rigatoni with tomatoes and aubergines which on the night turned out to be tagliatelle. It over cooked and clumped together on the plate and unattractively presented in a dollop with no garnish or cheese. The sauce was bland and I couldn't find any aubergine. After a starter of 6 slices of tomato, 5 plum tomato halves with just 3 miniscule bits of goat curd we were somewhat peckish but totally put off by the appearance of the main. At 45 pounds a head (excluding wine) we expected more. The eton mess had no meringue in it, which was strange. On the plus side we had a private, if draughty dining room which is very tasteful and chic. Our waiter was attentive and his ability to refold strewn napkins without us even noticing was impressive!! Glasses were filled regularly but a small basket of bread for 5 people that was not filled despite being asked several times and no decaf coffee seemed unreasonable to me. I run a vegetarian B&B in France and these sorts of things come as standard and we don't charge 45 pounds a head!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed November 18, 2012

This was our second visit to the hotel and third to the restaurant. On arrival there was a confusion over our reservation however given ten minutes the fabulously cool and professional receptionist had organised our room with an upgrade too! The room (8) was a good size and beautifully presented the bathroom however has a huge cracked tile and at one stage a foul drainage smell which I have to say was dealt with swiftly with lots of bleach and apologises. On arrival to dinner we were offered a complimentary bottle of champagne and further offered more sincere apologises. When I'd booked the restaurant I'd requested a table away from the large glass doors as there is a cold breeze, however the table we were given was slap bang in front of the doors! We were further compensated with glasses of well chosen wine by the restaurants fantastic sommelier Nigel who really couldnt have been more helpful and personable. Overall we had a good stay and the hiccups were managed to the best possible outcome but the reality is there should not be any hiccups! However we will be back soon.

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 4, 2012

I found this Gordon Ramsay owned hotel via Mr & Mrs Smith, who Hand-pick the best boutique hotels and luxury hotels to ensure one can find the perfect romantic getaway. And what a pick this was.Superbly located to get to the West end, right next to Regents Park and walking distance from the bustling Camden Market. Described as a Town house - I would suggest converted pub. - The ambience is relaxed, yet refined - with a high level of service. I stayed in a Deluxe Room - with a 4 poster bed! The only thing to say about this room is 'WOW', but it is not an idea to stay in this room, if you intend to have too much to drink, or if you have mobility issues as there is a number of steps down to the bathroom and a step up into the bath/shower. Yummy thick cotton bathrobes, luxurious toiletries, even nail file. Wonderful touches, such as a map showing you a number of jogging circuits round Regents park in the Welcome pack are really thoughtful. Free welll working WiFi - however if you wish an Ipod dock in your room you need to request this - understandable, as some guests seem to have thought that they are there to be taken with them. I was spending the evening out (attending the European Hospitality awards) - and was pleasently suprised to return to my room with the curtains closed, soft lighting on and a card on the bed telling me what the weather was supposed to do the following day.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night at the "York and Albany" with 2 adults and 3 children. We enjoyed it. We had 2 really cosy interconnected rooms (antic furniture ...). Service was very kind and helpful. The situation is almost ideal: near Camden market and Regent's park, 10' from St Pancras Station.
Breakfast at the restaurant is really excellent. The best americano in a hotel.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank mimar_10
Reviewed August 17, 2012

Myself and husband treated ourself to a nights stay and where very impressed. The room was beautifully done, and hotel reception staff were very pleasant. The only negative was the bar staff. They weren't very attentive and a bit slow. We had a great English breakfast in our room but had to ask for toast. Would defently go back.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at the Y&A as I had a work summer party at Regents Park Zoo (great venue) and I'd heard of it by reputation.
Greeting was friendly and relaxed and room 5 was really nice- great combination of styles, really comfortable four poster bed, lots of light coming in and a beautiful bathroom (though water pressure from the show wasn't amazing). Particularly likeable was the combination of monochrome music photos with small, old, hand-drawn & painted pieces.
The room had a high quality iPod dock and a good supply of bottled water (far too often missing from far too many rooms).

After the work do, some colleagues and I had some drinks sitting outside and nibbled on fat chips and salt & pepper squid, both of which were yummy; good drinks list, reasonable prices.
(A Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc and a Blanton's Bourbon went down very well).

In the morning, breakfast was served in the main pub area, with low key but well picked music; I only had scrambled eggs & bacon, plus orange juice and coffee, but all of it was well executed and neatly presented. The coffee (a major point for me) was good to very good but not great- I still stopped at one of my favourite cafes for a Flat White on the way into the office.

Overall, high points out of ten, but probably for business or couples: I'm not completely sure how I (or the A&Y management) would feel about my 5 year old running around..!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 11, 2012

We recently stayed in a deluxe room for one night. The room was quiet and charming - a mix of traditional decor with modern touches such as iPod dock etc. The breakfast was delicious and room service was prompt and efficient. Nice touches such as bathrobes, slippers, fruit and bottled water were available. Although the hotel is only a short walk from Camden, Regents park is opposite the hotel and the nearest underground and overground stations are only a 5 minute walk away. The staff were friendly and eager to please. I would happily stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple