“Intimate Luxury”

Ranked #647 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Odiham, United Kingdom
“Intimate Luxury”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

I found this Gordon Ramsay owned hotel via Mr & Mrs Smith, who Hand-pick the best boutique hotels and luxury hotels to ensure one can find the perfect romantic getaway. And what a pick this was.Superbly located to get to the West end, right next to Regents Park and walking distance from the bustling Camden Market. Described as a Town house - I would suggest converted pub. - The ambience is relaxed, yet refined - with a high level of service. I stayed in a Deluxe Room - with a 4 poster bed! The only thing to say about this room is 'WOW', but it is not an idea to stay in this room, if you intend to have too much to drink, or if you have mobility issues as there is a number of steps down to the bathroom and a step up into the bath/shower. Yummy thick cotton bathrobes, luxurious toiletries, even nail file. Wonderful touches, such as a map showing you a number of jogging circuits round Regents park in the Welcome pack are really thoughtful. Free welll working WiFi - however if you wish an Ipod dock in your room you need to request this - understandable, as some guests seem to have thought that they are there to be taken with them. I was spending the evening out (attending the European Hospitality awards) - and was pleasently suprised to return to my room with the curtains closed, soft lighting on and a card on the bed telling me what the weather was supposed to do the following day.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012 via mobile

We stayed one night at the "York and Albany" with 2 adults and 3 children. We enjoyed it. We had 2 really cosy interconnected rooms (antic furniture ...). Service was very kind and helpful. The situation is almost ideal: near Camden market and Regent's park, 10' from St Pancras Station.
Breakfast at the restaurant is really excellent. The best americano in a hotel.

• Stayed September 2012
1 Thank mimar_10
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2012

Myself and husband treated ourself to a nights stay and where very impressed. The room was beautifully done, and hotel reception staff were very pleasant. The only negative was the bar staff. They weren't very attentive and a bit slow. We had a great English breakfast in our room but had to ask for toast. Would defently go back.

• Stayed August 2012
Sussex
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2012

I stayed at the Y&A as I had a work summer party at Regents Park Zoo (great venue) and I'd heard of it by reputation.
Greeting was friendly and relaxed and room 5 was really nice- great combination of styles, really comfortable four poster bed, lots of light coming in and a beautiful bathroom (though water pressure from the show wasn't amazing). Particularly likeable was the combination of monochrome music photos with small, old, hand-drawn & painted pieces.
The room had a high quality iPod dock and a good supply of bottled water (far too often missing from far too many rooms).

After the work do, some colleagues and I had some drinks sitting outside and nibbled on fat chips and salt & pepper squid, both of which were yummy; good drinks list, reasonable prices.
(A Kiwi Sauvignon Blanc and a Blanton's Bourbon went down very well).

In the morning, breakfast was served in the main pub area, with low key but well picked music; I only had scrambled eggs & bacon, plus orange juice and coffee, but all of it was well executed and neatly presented. The coffee (a major point for me) was good to very good but not great- I still stopped at one of my favourite cafes for a Flat White on the way into the office.

Overall, high points out of ten, but probably for business or couples: I'm not completely sure how I (or the A&Y management) would feel about my 5 year old running around..!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2012

We recently stayed in a deluxe room for one night. The room was quiet and charming - a mix of traditional decor with modern touches such as iPod dock etc. The breakfast was delicious and room service was prompt and efficient. Nice touches such as bathrobes, slippers, fruit and bottled water were available. Although the hotel is only a short walk from Camden, Regents park is opposite the hotel and the nearest underground and overground stations are only a 5 minute walk away. The staff were friendly and eager to please. I would happily stay at this hotel again in the future.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Buzzing222
york
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2012

As per previous comments, the reception staff were very friendly and helpful. The same cannot be said for the restaurant, whislt they were not unhelpful, the service and food were average. the place is trendy and has a good atmosphere and the suite (room 4) was spacious. The main drawback for me was that it was very noisy due to traffic and street noise, not something the hotel can avoid, but not great for a restful night. the locality is ok, nothing close by of noteworthiness but not run down. Nice boutique hotel, but not outstanding. Slightly bitter taste left by charging me for the postage of a t-shirt left behind, but hey,times are tough!

Room Tip: splash out and go for a suite
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank kate234
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 29, 2012

I booked a deluxe room for 1 night for my partner's 30th Birthday. The receptionist couldn't have been more helpful & patient with my numerous questions and I was able to specify which room I wanted. However, on arrival we found that we had been upgraded to a suite (no idea why) which was simply gorgeous. It had it's own entrance at the side of the hotel with a small, private terrace, a large living area with a leather swivel chair & 2 seater sofa, a beautiful desk & wardrobe & a large flat screen tv. The decor was elegant and not too feminine. I had booked room 5 originally as it had a bath in it and although the suite didn't have one, the double shower was lovely and the glass ceiling flooded the bathroom with light, The bed was huge & probably the most comfortable I have ever slept in. There were a few niggles which just came down to attention to detail (at those prices I think it's not too much to expect) such as no slippers, the telephone in the room didn't work, not enough toilet roll left in the bathroom. However, the staff were extremely prompt with any request and Jackson was particularly attentive when the lights on the terrace didn't work & he very kindly brought us candles instead.
I had read mixed reviews about the restaurant, regarding both the food & service, but decided to book a table anyway and we're glad we did. Although the food wasn't the best I've ever tasted (the main of pork belly was delicious but the salmon starter & creme brulee desert were underwhelming), the overall experience was great. The service was friendly & attentive and at £21 for 3 courses, the value of the set menu was superb. With a bottle of wine, water & service, the bill came to just over £80 for 2.
I can't comment on the rest of the rooms but if the suite is anything to go by then I'd recommend this for a special occasion. It's a slice of tranquillity 5 minutes from bustling Camden & if I could I'd treat myself to a stay every month!

Room Tip: Room 5 has a bath as well as a shower but no view of Regents Park. Book the suite (number 4) if you...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple