“Lovely Morning Ride”

Ranked #42 of 199 Outdoor Activities in London
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Hyde Park Stables is dedicated to providing a high standard of horse riding and horse riding instruction for adults and children, from five years of age and older.Hyde Park Stables, built around 1835 is the oldest public stables in Central London. Bathurst Mews, where we are located, is the last remaining working mews. We offer group horse riding for all levels, semi-private riding for couples or small private groups or private one to one tuition.We cater for visitors who want to improve their horse riding ability as well as for regular riders who want to learn from the beginning, or for those who are coming back to the sport to re-learn their skills and regain their fitness levels.We also offer one-off rides for visitors who want to experience beautiful Hyde Park from the back of a horse.Hyde Park Stables have a dedicated team of staff who escort and teach riders on lesson-rides in Hyde Park as well as lessons in our outdoor arena. We teach all levels from complete beginners to advanced dressage and will teach parents and children from five years and older, together in Hyde Park on lesson-rides.The safety of all riders is our highest priority and we will therefore take all reasonable precautions to ensure an enjoyable and safe ride. Please state your experience when making a booking so we can allocate a suitable horse for you.Hyde Park Stables provide horses that are as safe as possible while maintaining an enjoyable and fun attitude to riding and learning equestrianism at all levels.Our weight limit for all riders is 75kg / 12 ½ stone / 175 lbs.We hope all our customers understand that this weight limit is to maintain our horses’ welfare.Horse Riding in Hyde Park is a wonderful experience and we hope you enjoy riding with us.
Malaysia
47 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“Lovely Morning Ride”
Reviewed September 15, 2013

I made the booking through the internet, and the booking was confirmed almost immediately.

When the day arrived, I got to the stable 30 minutes early and found the staff very busy and not particularly friendly (they kinda ignored me). It made me a bit apprehensive as this is a very expensive riding session and I really wanted it to be an enjoyable experience.

FInally, I managed to speak to a guy who was very friendly (sorry, didn't catch his name). He gave me a form to fill up.

When my riding slot arrived (I signed up for an individual session), I was given the boots and helmet, and my instructor was Barbara. She led my horse on a leisure walk across the road to the park. That itself was quite an experience! Barbara explained the temperament of my horse to me (which I felt was an important thing to do) and how the session would be conducted. After assessing my skill level(I trotted twice, on lead), I was given the green light to trot on my own. Yeah!

Barbara was such a fantastic and friendly instructor and I think she made all the difference for my ride. We had so much fun chit chatting and walking / trotting round the park, that I felt like I was out riding with an old friend. She was careful and gave me pointers every now and then, but at the same time, allowed me the opportunity to fully experience the ride as independently as possible.

I wished our session didn't have to end so quick and the price was a bit more affordable. I would very much like to sign up for a few lessons, so that I may be given the chance to canter the next time.

note: they have strict rules that no one canters on their 1st ride. They will need to assess the rider's riding ability, by having at least one lesson in the arena first.

This experience was the highlight of my trip!

Visited September 2013

• Arabic first
  • Korean first
Adelaide, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“what fun”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

this experience was the highlight of my stay in London made even more enjoyable having Liz as my private instructor
a leisurely walk and then trot through hyde park on horseback was fun and exciting and another tick off my bucket list !( although I will probably do it again next visit !)

London, United Kingdom
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“just for tourists”
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Poor costumer services, Poor explanation, far from saying the true. I can't believe this "attraction" is a member of the British Horse Society and the British Riding Schools. Very expensive for what they call lessons.

4 Thank michel m
richard b, Manager at Hyde Park Stables, responded to this review, August 26, 2013
We have no idea what this customer is complaining about,as they give very little information.
As you can see from other reviews most of our cusiomers have a great time,and the horses have the best of care in air conditioned comfort, even if the stables were built in 1835.
We try very hard to give people the best experience possible, without putting them or the
public at risk.Hyde Park is a busy unique venue and one of the few places left in the
world where you can ride in the centre of the Capitol City.
Vancouver, Canada
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“One of my best ride”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

The staff at the stable were very friendly, well organized and professional. It was a perfect summer morning for a ride through Hyde Park. Cloudy and cool. The guide was friendly, helpful and professional. We have to ride through city streets before we get to the park which was a wonderful experience. The price was a little steep, but you only get what you paid for. A very "British" day for me as I had the Sunday roast at Hix in Browns Hotel for lunch and dinner at Heston overlooking Hyde Park reflecting on the morning ride. Bravo !!!!!

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Disorganized booking process, avoid!”
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Despite communicating with Hyde Park Stables for 3 days and arranging our schedule to accommodate the availability, on the day on a ride we received a message that they were fully booked. This was after completing the online booking process and paying bia credit card . We followed all their instructions and despite a telephone call couldn't resolve the issue.

Don't plan on actually being able to ride here despite what their employees tell you in email.

Thank you Hyde Park Stables for very disappointing experience in London.

3 Thank Connie B
richard b, General Manager at Hyde Park Stables, responded to this review, July 30, 2013
The day this client wanted to ride with us nothing was confirmed. We told her what we had available when she enquired about riding. But when she decided to book we were already full. She was very upset that we didn't save the space but she didn't book until the day she wanted to ride. Unfortunately we cannot hold any booking until the client has booked and paid. This would be to the disadvantage of other clients who would also like to book a ride with us but are blocked by reservations of others. When clients get in touch with us we always recommend that bookings are made in advance if a preferred date and time as we are generally busy and book up fast. To make a booking we require rider’s height and weight, riding ability, preferred date and time for ride. We have a secure booking form available on our website at www.hydeparkstables.com or you can contact us and book directly on 020 7723 2813. We are a small busy stable in the centre of London and we try to give as many people as possible (children, adults, tourists) the possibility to join us for a ride in beautiful Hyde Park. Many of our clients are only here for a few days so we try to squeeze them in if we can. But we are limited to the amount of horses we have and when the weather in London is nice we have to be strict on our booking policy which is also published on our website. When booking with us especially weekends we can get booked up early and you usually need to book at least a week in advance to get the time you want. All rides must be pre-paid. You can reschedule bookings with 7 days clear notice.
We are sorry that the client missed the possibility to ride with us and we hope she will contact us earlier next time. But this system is put in place for the benefit of everyone not just for one person who cannot make up their mind.