“Good, but not super amazing!”

Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester
Ranked #214 of 22,674 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester offers contemporary French cuisine in the sleek Jouin Manku designed dining-room along with a professional, bespoke and friendly service orchestrated by Restaurant Director Damien Pepin and his energetic team. Executive Chef, Jean-Philippe Blondet interprets Alain Ducasse's cuisine with a modern and refined approach, consistently championing and enhancing current seasonal produce, much of which is sourced from British and French suppliers. Signature dishes include "Saute gourmand" of lobster, truffled chicken quenelles and homemade pasta; Dry aged beef, artichokes and bone marrow, and the delicate Baba like in 'Monte-Carlo'. A perfect place for a savvy lunch, the restaurant offers a 3 course set menu including wine, water and coffee. Private dining is also a must-try experience with the stunning Table Lumiere where guests can create their bespoke dining experience by choosing from specially selected sets of china by Hermes; the spacious Salon Park Lane bathed in natural light and the cosy Salon Prive.
London, United Kingdom
“Good, but not super amazing!”
Reviewed August 19, 2014

My wife and I went for our anniversary. The interior is well decorated, but the approach is odd as you have to go through the promenade to reach the restaurant. Both service and food were great, but not 3 star standard. The tomatoes, though, were fantastic!

Visited July 2014

• Chinese (Traditional) first
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
“Excellent meal”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

The two of us went for lunch on a weekday visit to London and chose the set £55pp menu which included two glasses of wine, bottled water and coffee for each guest. The food was excellent, as was the service, and the wines (two reds and two whites to choose from) delightful too. we'd have rated the lunch 5 but for three irritating niggles; 1. bottled water is included in the price of the menu, but when the first bottle is finished one is asked if one would like another, which then appears as an extra charge on the bill; 2. service at 12.5% is added to the bill but then there is a space on the bill for a gratuity - this cheap stunt is unbecoming of a 3 Michelin star restaurant; 3. the filter coffee was awful - barely coloured hot water and when that was sent back the next batch was only a little stronger - surely a top class French restaurant can serve a decent cup of coffee

• Visited August 2014
“What an experience”
Reviewed August 12, 2014

We were there to celebrate our best friends' special anniversary. From the moment we walked in - we were made to feel special. The service was faultless. Mr Damien Pepin himself took the order as we were the fussy bunch with different dietary requirement. We opted for 7-course tasting menu with some minor adjustment as per dietary requirement. Mr Pastorello was also very helpful with wine selection throughout the dinner. The crab, and lobster dishes were really delicious. Not so sure about the heritage tomatoes.. the wild seabass was cooked to perfection, but not so keen on the veal. the dessert and cheese board were really good. take-home sweets at the end was a lovely touch! overall - a lovely culinary experience with impeccable service! But if i were to choose between Alain Ducasse or Joel Robuchon's L'Atelier - I would probably pick the latter with some hesitation.

Visited August 2014
“Excellent lunch”
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I took my mom for lunch and had an amazing time. We had the set menu which comes with two glasses of wine and a half bottle of water each. The wine was lovely and we both tried the two white wines on offer.

My favorite dish was plaice with Paimpol coco beans and chorizo.

What isn't appartent from the menu is that you also are offered an amouse bouche (standard, I know for a michelin star restaurant) and petit fours. The petit fours are nearly a meal in themselves - 6 chocolates, nougat and salted caramel sweets, choclate almonds and I don't know how many macaroons. I've never seen anything like this amount of sweets before. My mother who has a very sweet tooth was delighted.

The serve was great; really attentive without feeling that our conversation was interupetted.

I'd definitely go back.

• Visited August 2014
Sussex
“Not what it should of been...”
Reviewed August 10, 2014

We had a nice and very expensive evening, the food and service were good .....but was it a 3 star experience ? Was it worth it ? Did it go that bit further, sadly, no has to be the answer to all these questions.

We were expecting something that made it that extra bit differant and special from the many 1 and 2 star establishments we have been lucky enough to visit in the UK and beyond. There was no wow factor around any of the courses and we both had the superior tatsting menu.

I did find myself having to attract staff attention..and I felt that tryng to upsell truffle was a bit cheep and tacky.

Im very glad I have done it, I would not revisit and there are alot better places in London to eat.

My question remains ...Im not sure why it has 3 stars ?

• Visited July 2014