“Definitely three stars”

Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester
Ranked #188 of 22,367 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, Contemporary
Good for: Special occasions, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester offers contemporary French cuisine in the sleek Patrick Jouin designed dining-room along with a professional, bespoke and friendly service orchestrated by Restaurant Director Damien Pepin and his energetic team.Executive Chef, Jocelyn Herland, interprets Alain Ducasse's cuisine with a modern and refined approach, consistently championing and enhancing current seasonal produce, much of which is sourced from British and French suppliers.Signature dishes include "Saute gourmand" of lobster, truffled chicken quenelles and homemade pasta; Fillet of beef Rossini, crunchy cos lettuce, "sacristain" potatoes and the decadent Baba like in 'Monte-Carlo'.A perfect place for a savvy lunch, the restaurant offers a 3 course set menu including wine, water and coffee. Private dining is also a must-try experience with the stunning Table Lumiere where guests can create their bespoke dining experience by choosing from specially selected sets of china by Hermes; the spacious Salon Park Lane bathed in natural light and the cosy Salon Prive.
London
“Definitely three stars”
Reviewed July 16, 2014

I treated my wife to a dinner at in the Lumiere section of Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester.

It was one of the best dining experiences of our life. We have eaten at many Michelin starred restaurants but for me it is obvious why this is a three star restaurant.

I spent a long time with the restaurant organising the meal so that it would be special for my wife. At all times, the restaurant was very accomadating, allowing me to tailor the tasting menu to suit the tastes of my wife (e.g. having no meat dishes, choosing which fish dishes they could do from their menu, having specific desserts that they didn't orginallly have on their tasting menu but was on their menu). At all times the restaurant were very understanding and helped me.

On the actual evening, my wife was made to feel special. The waiters were attentive without being intrusive and were lovely and funny.

The food was amazing.

For prestarters we had choux bread balls which were delightfully soft with cream cheese. Amazing. We were served these with warm spinach bites.

We started with crab served with caviar which had a lovely nuanced flavour.

We then moved onto a tomato medley with four different types of tomato. In my view this was the best dish of the meal. It was delightlfully fresh and each tomato tasted differently. It was also the best looking dish we have ever seen (for those that care for such things).

Next up with lobster with razor clams in a bisque. The depth of flavour of this dish was amazing. What I loved about the dish was the smell even before you ate it. It made you want to eat it.

Then we had sea bass which was lovely and delicate.

The final fish dish was the halibut with a watercress puree which was a lovely balance.

We then took a break with all the delightful food we had eaten and then had a cheese plate with four cheeses with various chutneys. The best thing I can say is that my wife usually doesn't like cheese but the restaurant had told me in advance that the balance between each cheese and the chutney would work and they were right. This is the first time my wife finished a cheese plate.

The tasting menu officially finished with an amazing chocolate desert with praline and vanilla ice cream. It was perfect and the best chocolate dessert we have had.

We were then given a delightful apres-dessert of banana cake and a strawberry tarlet which was the perfect way to finish the meal.

With tea and coffee they served us additional praline chocolates and macaroons which were delightifully soft and melted in our mouths.

The restaurant were kind enough to allow us to take some additional macaroons home to share with our family.

We had a delightful four hours in the restaurant. We were never made to feel rushed and my wife had one of the best evenings of her life.

Yes it is expensive but definitely worth it for a romantic dinner.

Recommended.

• Visited July 2014

Lancaster, United Kingdom
“Not quite 3 stars”
Reviewed July 15, 2014

Yummy!! Opulent and posh. But...over priced (£350 for both of us and that didn't include drinks!!!) Very dark room - I like to see what I'm eating. Took about 30mins for started to arrive. I believe bread should be served warm, not cold and hard. Otherwise hard to fault but I would have been just as happy with a good steak!

Visited June 2014
1 Thank mulgrewp
York, United Kingdom
“Set lunch”
Reviewed July 14, 2014

We visited this restaurant as the beginning to a weekend of Michelin star food to celebrate my husband's 40th birthday, which I had mentioned at the point of booking. To be able to eat a 3 course meal of food worthy of 3 Michelin stars for £55 per head including wine and water, is a complete bargain in my book. The Dorchester is a beautiful hotel of old fashioned luxury, I would love to come back and stay at some point! You enter the restaurant through the beautifully decadent lobby. By contrast, the decor of the restaurant does seem a little stark and minimalist. The service in the restaurant is smooth and elegant, while still remaining friendly. The only slight downside is that the majority of the staff don't speak English as a first language, and it can be a little difficult to understand when they are speaking in fairly hushed tones with a strong accent. The food was excellent, what was meant to be a 3 course meal was more like 5 - the free of charge amuse bouche and selection of chocolates and sweets were a lovely surprise. As was the birthday candle in my husband's dessert and the gift of a recipe book. Top class start to finish. We now want to go back and eat within the mysterious curtain of lights!

• Visited July 2014
London
“Perfection”
Reviewed July 8, 2014

I had to save the best to last; Alain Ducasse at the Dorchester. Just a bit of history before we go into the food.; Alain Ducasse was the first chef to hold 21 stars from Michelin at the same time and only one other chef holds more – Joel Robuchon (he has 28). On business I have dined at lots of Michelin starred places and most of them suck the life out of the experience. Not Mr Ducasse who trained under the great Roger Verge when he introduced his take on Provençal cooking – Cuisine of the Sun. From that I think Mr Ducasse took the idea to use superb local ingredients, cut back on heavy sauces and keep things light. Yet a complexity remains and the cooking is sublime.
I love the Dorchester – it’s my idea of a grand hotel. Slightly old fashioned, great service and luxury that oozes out of the walls (and carpets that I think have the deepest pile of any in London). The toilets are clean too – an important factor to Mrs B. It was a marriage made in heaven when Ducasse met the Dorchester and London is the better for it. This was my third visit; the first time I was blown away while the second time was great but not as good as the first. What would the third deliver?
Perfection.
The room itself is delightful; glorious burnished wood panelling complemented by a light charcoal carpet and chairs. The tables covered in the finest linen gleamed in the sun that cascaded through the windows from Park Lane. Plus they were just the right width from their neighbours so you had to strain to overhear other people – if that is your thing! The waiting staff were on top form; efficient, friendly and a relaxing experience but not a relaxed service. At just the right time a whoosh would occur and our water would be topped up, or a glass of wine would arrive; it was effortless. For my 50th birthday I had a Ferrari experience, which involved driving those wonderful cars for a day. This restaurant reminds me of that; the hum of the sublime engine matched by the hum of a restaurant at the top of its game. The quality of the drive matched by the quality of the food delivered.
We both had the same meal; we started with frogs legs served with a sublime ricotta gnocchi and water cress veloute. I wonder if the watercress (really peppery and fresh) was a little joke on the colour of frogs. It all worked so well it was the best starter I have ever had. Served with the sommeliers suggestion of a 2011 Chablis which was strong enough to hold its own against some punchy flavours. This was followed by chuck of beef, baby carrots and a superb jus. Now I know what you are thinking – chuck is just braising steak and so it is. Chuck is what is known as a “sub-prime” cut of beef – it needs help to achieve its potential. This usually means long, low cooking which dissipates the fat and produces a rich unctuous flavour. This did all of that and more; it was very, very, very good. We had a glass of the 2009 Llande-de –Pomerol that again had the depth needed to match this rich, but not too rich main course. Faultless.
Dessert was roasted banana with a wonderful coconut tuile and a zingy lime sorbet. Followed by coffee and a mountain of petit fours and I forget to mention the “free” starters which were great. I was told by the management at a hotel I stayed at in Marrakesh that I couldn’t eat at Alain Ducasse in London for the price I am going to reveal – it was they said impossible. So, three courses of the most sublime food, three Michelin stared food (if that grabs your boat), amuse bouche, coffee and petit fours, two stunning glasses of wine and a bottle of water. All served with distinction in a Park Lane hotel that is by any reckoning one of the best in the world. How much? £55 or fifty five pounds or the best bargain you can get in London today.
Yes £55 is a lot of money but it is huge value for money as well. It isn’t a meal it’s an experience and one that lasted for four hours; an experience which presented theatre as good as any you will see in London. You are not in your normal environment but a cosseted pocket of how the other half lives. As a break from the humdrum routine of everyday life (plus superb food) it is value for money. While I couldn’t do it every day as a great treat that isn’t going to break the bank you must give it a try – or better still don’t. I want to come back in about three months and if all you lot are trying to get in what hope do I have. Now, how can I delete this – ah too late.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank brighouse55
London, United Kingdom
“Special”
Reviewed July 6, 2014 via mobile

A group of us booked the private dining room for an evening after watching the wimbledon ladies semi finals as a special treat. The menu, decor, service and food where excellent. My wife eats fish but not meat, her dishes where excellent as well. Every course was superb, and the evening was just perfect. Something we won't forget in the meantime. Yes it was expensive...but three Michelin stars....and worth it. The lamb dish and the chocolate desert in particular where very memorable.

Visited July 2014