“A wonderful experience.”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester offers contemporary French cuisine in the sleek Jouin Manku designed dining-room along with a professional, bespoke and friendly service orchestrated by Restaurant Director Damien Pepin and his energetic team. Executive Chef, Jean-Philippe Blondet interprets Alain Ducasse's cuisine with a modern and refined approach, consistently championing and enhancing current seasonal produce, much of which is sourced from British and French suppliers. Signature dishes include "Saute gourmand" of lobster, truffled chicken quenelles and homemade pasta; Dry aged beef, artichokes and bone marrow, and the delicate Baba like in 'Monte-Carlo'. A perfect place for a savvy lunch, the restaurant offers a 3 course set menu including wine, water and coffee. Private dining is also a must-try experience with the stunning Table Lumiere where guests can create their bespoke dining experience by choosing from specially selected sets of china by Hermes; the spacious Salon Park Lane bathed in natural light and the cosy Salon Prive.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
“A wonderful experience.”
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Visited with my husband for our wedding anniversary. It was a wonderful experience being there from beginning to end. We were sat by the window and had endless attention from many different staff for various parts of the meal. Every member of staff was kind, thoughtful and informative. We had the lunch hour menu which had the wow factor. Soft boiled egg with halibut and beetroot: who knew?! The different components to each course was intricate and well thought out. There were many parts to the meal that were not expected but I won't spoil it for those who have this menu. I can only thank the restaurant for them. We were extremely sad to leave and I will definitely return. For those reviews who scrutinise and pick, I felt it was faultless. My taste buds were taken on a journey and I can still taste the food several days on. That is what a special restaurant/place should do in my opinion.

1 Thank Tonia67

• Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent on each of the fundamentals”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The food is great - I had delightful foie gras to start, followed by tasty lamb and finishing off with the apple composition, which was, for me, an excellent set of dishes. My partner has the lobster to start, the beef for main and the chocolate desert. Each dish was delicious, with some fantastic, skilled cooking on display.

We were actually most impressed by the service. To say it was "slick" doesn't really do justice to how smooth it was. I've never seen plates move so impeccably before! And everyone was friendly, smart and welcoming, to boot.

Only slight question is to how long the wine for "by-the-glass" had been open for. But this shouldn't detract from an otherwise exceptional meal.

Herts, UK
“All over the place - highs and lows”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

The best coffee and main course so far in 2013. The weakest amuse bouche of the year - and biggest "signature" let down for ages. Where do you start?
Off the bat - 3 Michelin stars. Exceptional cuisine worth a special journey - so says the guidebook. 2 stars, excellent cuisine, worth a detour. This is "partially excellent, partially poor cooking in an average setting with enthusiastic front of house staff (Nicholas in particular first rate) for a very large, though not exhorbitant pricetag. We journey from Hertfordshire so its not the end of the world when London yet again disappoints. But this place genuinely did leave us wondering are we visiting the same restaurants as the inspectors.
Other reviewers maybe dont notice the cold plates, tired combinations and plain lack of anything original on their plates. Probably dazzled by the lobby on your way into the restaurant (which is impressive). But THREE Michelin stars?
Revisit the definitions. This is basically a one star offering under the banner of a 3-star reputation.
£280 no wine. I would have expected to have had more than the pockets of excellence I witnessed. Its not worth the money. Hazel liked it less than I did.
For me it was very much the proverbial game of 2 halves.
Cheese puffs, amuse bouche, lobster gourmand - and Im getting rather worried. In particular the signature dish - for which there is a £10 supplement. Without the sweet lobster and accompanying reduction/bisque, this plate had minimal taste. The chicken quenelles flavourless, the pasta tubes not right at all. Carrots and beans frothed up in the beautiful egg-shaped dishes bordered on yucky. But the back 9 delivered 3 birdies on the spin. Georgeous Anjou pigeon, accomplished caramel souffle and exquisite coffee and fruit tartlet. The offal combined with foie gras and other ingredients on toast as accompaniment, taste of the month. The chocolates and macaroons I loved too. But I had come for a Michelin experince - not a retro visit to a sweetshop.
Innovative cooking - not in the slightest. Exceptional cuisine - only the pigeon makes that mark. Worth a special trip? I'm afraid not. And I wanted it to be.

1 Thank MardleyMassif
WELWYN
“Michelin Star Mayhem”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

We visited this restaurant last night and I have been agonising most of the morning trying to think how to word this review. After all, you wouldn't tell Picasso he couldn't paint? And then, who am I to review a chef who is the only person ( I believe) to have held 3 michelin stars in 3 separate restaurants at the same time????? However, 1 in 4 trip advisors rated this restaurant as average or below, the Guardian recently said they suspect the name Alain Ducasse had something to do with attaining 3 stars and they couldn't understand it and Jay Rayner says the 3 stars given to him are as "Mad as Hell ", Alain has been at The Dorchester since 2006, in 2009 he picked up 2 stars, the following year added a 3rd star which he has kept ever since. And I apologise for bleating on about this but when you see that Raymond Blanc at the Manoir has for some reason not been awarded a 3rd star it makes me mad.
Okay, here's the review. Beautiful hotel, luxurious lobby where you walk past people/guests having a late afternoon tea, champagne, cocktails etc in beautiful surrounds. There are 25 tables in the restaurant with a staff of 50 to look after you so you do not fall short on service, indeed, the waiting staff are helpful, inobtrusive and always on hand to answer questions. The canapes were average, As you sit down a generous plate of gougeres, in this case made with Emmental cheese, appears. They should have been bursting with cheese flavour and warm but they were neither but there were about 20 of them and were as light as you like. Disappointment followed as one amuse bouche followed (remember this is a 3 michelin star rated restaurant). Even now, I have difficulty in remembering it but the base was roasted carrots with something else in it, like a soup. Obviously forgetable. Starter was crab done 2 ways, one, hot dish,one cold dish. Very pretty, not a bad size portion but the crab in both dishes was lost in all the stuff that surrounded it, What then surprised me was the size of the lamb dish that I had for my mains. Three small pieces of lamb (photo probably makes it look larger) but I don't believe I had more than 2 oz of meat on my plate. Everything else on there could cooked by a half decent cook in their home kitchen. He tends to excel a bit towards the end, apple dish very nice although unimaginative, slice of apple tart, half a glazed poached apple and nice ice cream. Coffee is then served with an assortment of chocolates and a choice of pastrys and biscuits. I had a mango and coconut tartlet and a couple of vanilla biscuits - very nice. It was Richard's birthday - in many fine dining restaurants they bring out a small cake or put a happy birthday message in chocolate on a plate, here they stuck a candle in his poached pear .....
With a bill of £280.00 with no wine, there are more restaurants in London that offer better food and better value for money - Pied a Terre being one of them. This really is a case where the name is probably the reason behind his achievement in London. He does not deliver really fabulous food at prices you are happy to pay because you have been treated to a gastronomic experience (unlike the Manoir, sorry, me and Raymond are not related, I promise ...) .
PS I suspect Richard's review will differ to mine which just goes to show we are all different and one man's meat is another man's poison,

4 Thank BUMPYWelwyn
London, United Kingdom
“Best michelin star restaurant I've ever been to”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I went with my boyfriend for our 5-year anniversary. We had the 4-course dinner. In between courses there were lots of free courses. I had the scallops, which were the juciest and biggest ones I have had. We had macaroons before dessert!!! It was mind-blowing.

The service I have to say was second to none. Not intimidating at all. The staff were friendly, tentative and patient. Just before they served the main course, my boyfriend went to the bathroom, as soon as the head waiter saw him got up, he waved the food back to the kitchen to be kept warm.

They gave us a free heart shaped cake for free because it was our anniversary. On our way out, they gave us a small box and told us here is your breakfast! Exceptional restaurant with exceptional service.

• Visited September 2012