“Very good but the Ritz is better”

Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester
Ranked #209 of 22,557 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, European, Contemporary
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Valet Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Mayfair
Description: Alain Ducasse at The Dorchester offers contemporary French cuisine in the sleek Patrick Jouin designed dining-room along with a professional, bespoke and friendly service orchestrated by Restaurant Director Damien Pepin and his energetic team.Executive Chef, Jocelyn Herland, interprets Alain Ducasse's cuisine with a modern and refined approach, consistently championing and enhancing current seasonal produce, much of which is sourced from British and French suppliers.Signature dishes include "Saute gourmand" of lobster, truffled chicken quenelles and homemade pasta; Fillet of beef Rossini, crunchy cos lettuce, "sacristain" potatoes and the decadent Baba like in 'Monte-Carlo'.A perfect place for a savvy lunch, the restaurant offers a 3 course set menu including wine, water and coffee. Private dining is also a must-try experience with the stunning Table Lumiere where guests can create their bespoke dining experience by choosing from specially selected sets of china by Hermes; the spacious Salon Park Lane bathed in natural light and the cosy Salon Prive.
Ripley, United Kingdom
“Very good but the Ritz is better”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I dined here with friends and we chose the set lunch. It was £55 but that included two glasses of wine, water and coffee. I have to say, the food was very good but it simply wasn't as good as the Ritz where I have dined on five occasions recently.

The restaurant was very nice and the staff were very attentive, though it was often difficult to understand their English as many of them had such strong French accents.

There was what I think was a mistake with my order. Three of us opted for the velouté. My two colleagues were duly served with theirs but I was given a plate of prawns. When I pointed this out, the waiter explained that this was intentional as they wanted me to have an additional starter in order to try the prawns. As I can't stand prawns I asked for them to be taken away and for my velouté to be delivered. I found the experience very odd and suspect the explanation was simply a way of explaining away their mistake.

The courses were quite small, but taken together, the whole meal was quite filling, including an additional soup course (over and above the prawn incident) and a range of interesting breads, chocolates and sweets. My main course was braised ox cheeks. I received three wafer thin pieces of meat each the size of a standard train ticket (and not much thicker). Alongside the meat were two baby carrots, each no more than 2cm in length and a single shallot, about the size of a small marble. Along with the jus, that was the entire course.

With a cocktail, and service, the bill came to £80. Slightly less than our bill at the Ritz (£86) but definitely not as good as the Ritz.

Westlake Village, California
“Disappointing”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Beautiful room, lovely service but the food just isn't that good. Had the 7 course tasting menu and 2 of the dishes were good and the others were mediocre. The cheese course was 4 selected cheeses(no cart) and were forgettable. the "exotic" fruit dessert were 2 scoops of sherbert with a nice fruity sauce. Nothing special.
Couldn't get a glass of red wine we liked to go with the main course although they tried--still charged me anyway.
When I did explain my disappointment, they reduced the bill and charged me for 3 courses rather that the 7.
Yet for over $600, I would not go here again.
Most interesting are the reviews over the last month--not very flattering. Perhaps there has been a change in the kitchen. I suspect that Mr. Ducasse is spreading himself a bit too thin.

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank pamshusband
Southampton, United Kingdom
“Good not Great, Disapointing for 3* Restaurant”
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Had very high expectations considering Alain Ducasee's reputation and that this was our first visit to a 3 Michelin star restaurant. The Dining room is lovely, the service is good the food - AVERAGE!

Wasn't wowed by any of my courses and the extras were simple if not tasteless! I would reccommend 'The Square' In Mayfair or 'Greenhouse' also in Mayfair as the food is much better than at Alain Ducasse. Unfortunately this restaurant needs at the very least 1 star taken from it!!

• Visited January 2013
Limassol, Cyprus
“Great food in a nice atmosphere”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This restaurant with its three Michelin stars offers quality food and great wines to complement. i was there for dinner and ordered the tasting menu, a seven course meal with wine paring. for the wine paring they actually offered three different paring menus (at different price points). The food and the wine was fantastic, as it shud be for a three star restaurant. Our biggest problem was to understand the waiters. Their French/English was not at all easy to understand and I think some improvements is needed in that category....

Erik O

Visited January 2013
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Could be better”
Reviewed January 5, 2013

The service was very good. The food is just average. Our evening was good except for a very snooty Sommelier who obviously knew his wine and made it a point to make everyone small.

• Visited November 2012