“Not really...”

Ranked #260 of 838 Specialty Lodging in London
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Not really...”
Reviewed April 4, 2014

Stayed there for 3 nights. The most annoying aspect was that the room was not at all sound-proof. We could hear all cars from the road, the neighbours when leaving their adjacent room, and -most importantly- the loud music from the bar until 3 am (I am not sure if it was from the hostel's bar: in this case this would be ridiculous). Luckily we were pretty tired and the music was not THAT annoying. The room was relatively clean, but I felt the sheets a bit dirty. The hostel neither offered free towels, nor had available to hire. Wireless internet did not work at all, due to a provider's technical problem in the whole area. The common bathroom was alright and in the majority of the times clean. The water at the shower was always warm. As positive aspects I can consider the friendly personnel, the underground station that is close by (5 min. walk), the really close by night-bus stop (bus no. 6), and of course the very competitive price. However, I would not choose this hostel again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the "High Street" are noisy.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank loony_v

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014

We book a private 2 bedroom room for our short stay in London. When we arrived the place was dark and dirty and filled with people drinking in the bar. We handed over our money and was pointed in the general direction of our room (not shown). Our room was about 4m sq with grey dirty tiled floors and disgusting walls. The bed was a rusty old bunk bed with worn out mattresses and dirty bedding. The windows was open when we arrived and rain had poured into the room. There was a set of lockers in the corner of the room but no key to actually lock them as well as a random fridge. The shower area was disgusting and too small for the amount of people on each floor. When we looked at the facilities they were covered in mould and dirt and the showers themselves we just as bad. Dirty and covered in hair and dirt! We could not believe we had just handed sort of £100 over for this! The area also was very rough! Its about a 15 min tube journey into central london. For three out of the fig days we were there, the heating in our room seed to just do as it pleased and there was no hot water at all for showers or even a wash! When this was reported to the reception, the girl there just looked at me blank and tried to understand what I had said, ( I don't think she spoke good english) and then stated after a while that she would go look downstairs but it was ok before! To top it off when we returned we realised that we had been heavily bitten by bed bites and are now in the midst of being treated! I WOULD NEVER COM BACK TO THIS HOSTEL EVER AND WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND IT TO ANYONE!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Mickey-Day-88

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Koblenz, Germany
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I´m a young student from Germany, who stayed in Hostel No. 8 for two days during New Year´s Eve with four friends of mine. We were a bit worried about our stay at Hostel No. 8, because of some recent reviews complaining about bed bugs and unacceptable hygiene conditions, but I was positively surprised, so I thought I´d write a review.

Location: The nearest tube station is Dollis Hill, which is situated in zone 3. I´d recommend though that you walk up to Willesden Green station (15 minutes), which is on the border to zone 2 and will save you some money. You can take the Jubilee Line straight down to Bond Street within 20 minutes, so there´s really no reason to complain about the distance to the city center. Willesden itself is for sure not the prettiest area of London, but since you probably spend your days inside the city, that shouldn´t be a concern of yours.

Hostel itself: The staff was friendly and helpful, but since we didn´t have any special concerns, I can´t judge how they react to requests out of the usual. We stayed in the 20 beds mixed dorm. There is a pretty overwhelming smell of sweat when you enter the room, but luckily the human nose gets used to smells rather quickly. The sheets were fresh and the beds comfortable enough. The showers were slightly dirty, but the water was rather hot and all in all it was clean enough to have a decent shower. But like in every hostel, I recommend you were flip-flops in the bathrooms. The toilets were cleaned in the morning so those were the best times to go and do your business. They weren´t 5*-standard, but come on, you didn´t pay for that, so no reason to complain.

All in all here´s my final judgement - If you are young, maybe going with friends and just want to stay in London for a few days, Hostel No. 8 should fulfill your needs. Since you should be exploring the city and only use the hostel for sleeping, you should be satisfied with what you get. If you´re a couple or a family though, maybe staying for a week or so and looking for a cosy atmosphere and a really nice place to stay, I´d recommend you pay some extra bucks and book a proper hotel. But the average backpacker should be absolutely fine.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is a terrible hostel! Arrived here late at night last Thursday and had to pretty much step over a bunch of drunk Russian guys to get to the reception desk. Stayed here for three nights with four girls, booked the 4-bed Female dorm but didn't get it! Apparently some girls are living in that dorm so we had to sleep in two different rooms! Our reservation clearly said 4 beds in the female dorm, but the very unfriendly Russian manager said there was nothing he could do and it was a mistake Hostelworld made.. One of the beds wasn't made (no pillow or blanket) and again the Russian manager didn't really want to do anything about it. Eventually he gave us a pillow and a blanket, not sure if they were clean... The atmosphere in the pub wasn't nice because of the drunk Russian guys, the hostel was really loud (one night some guy was banging on his door for at least 45 minutes without anyone answering, woke the entire hostel up though) and overall it wasn't really a pleasant or welcoming place to be. The only good things were the bathroom: brand new and the showers were nice (with hot water) and the location (bus stop right outside and a 5-minute walk to Dollis Hill station). Yes it's cheap but it's well worth spending a little bit more on a nice hostel!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank mvandeijnen
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 2, 2013

Love this place. Floors, kitchen and bathrooms always spotless, very impressed. Hot water, good cooking facilities free wifi and very friendly and helpful staff and amazingly cheap. Joined up with a pub, where people staying in the hostel get discount drinks, has a massive tv and pool table, very cool. If I have to stay in a hostel again in London I'm going straight for this one.

Room Tip: Book in advance as this place is popular. I stayed in a few rooms and the 20 bed rooms were just as...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Paris, France
Reviewed September 26, 2013

I really enjoyed my time at the N° 8 hostel. They provide a good accommodation with free wifi. Access to central London is easy with the Jubilee line and the residents were very nice and fun. It was easy to mix with people from different countries and backgrounds during social events, such as the karaoke, the pool competition and the free barbecue in the bar lounge area. The staff was also really nice and helpful. I recommend this hostel to anyone arriving In London and wanting to live a fun and dynamic first experience.

Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Carlito4
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I have only stayed in two hostels in my short life but this one was by far the best! If not for the spacious bunks, good atmosphere and awesome bar, definitely for the amazing people. Everyone who worked there I consider my friends and so many guests as well from around the world. For a chick like me from Michigan of all places I'd say I definitely say I had the full English experience.

PS
I actually visited July and August of 2011. Just saying.

• Stayed October 2012