“Terrible” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Regal Guest House

The Regal Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Regal Guest House
Ranked #322 of 567 London B&B and Inns
“Terrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed in room 208, it was a twin room, and it was dire.
Everything was extremely dated, the bathroom was ingrained with dirt from years of neglect, the grout was filthy the shower curtain was old and stained, the shower pole was rusted terribly. The sink cup was an ancient plastic reusable tumbler that simply needed throwing. The towels were a mismatch of colours and threadbare rags.
The beds were comfortable enough but in desperate need of a new quilt cover and sheet. The pillows were very well used and need replacing. The wardrobe was archaic and had numerous broken unusable tatty plastic hangers. The bottom of the wardrobe was littered with old bed parts, castors etc, there were milk lids(from the small plastic cartons provided for tea and coffee) on the carpet so I dread to think when it was last hoovered. The socket behind the bed was hanging off, the mismatch of mugs and pots with coffee tea and sugar were something I'd expect to see in a building site canteen not a £75.00 per night room.
Breakfast greets you with a pre filled bowl of cornflakes that seem to simply sit there until someone eats them,(I did see the waitress tip an unused bowl of cornflakes from a finished table into another bowl on another table for the next guest?????) needless to say I didnt eat the cereal. The cooked breakfast was adequate however I dread to think what unfolds the other side of the kitchen door.

DO NOT STAY HERE IF YOU ARE LIKE ME AND EXPECT A DECENT STANDARD OF ACCOMODATION!!

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
4 Thank Thomas S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Southampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 9, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel last saturday and I am pleased to say that I was satisfied with the service offered. The room was clean, staff were polite and it was just very suitable to our needs. Very good value for your money. Strangely for a budget hotel it had one of the best shower heads ever.
We are going back to london soon and have already booked to stay at the hotel again:-)

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nkybabe
Derbyshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 31, 2012

Me and my co worker was stuck, here at the Regal they moved thing about and gave us a bed for the night , a smilling face and a helping hand it was like staying at your auntie house, great breakfast (goldersgreen most do not do english ) nice clean bed and room with lots of tee and cofffee
Booked again and any time am working down here

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Limerick, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2012

I been to London many times,and I always stay in The Regal 170 Golders Green NW11 9BY.I have been staying there for around 15 years with friends and relations its a home from home,very nice guest house great people running it ,they always go the extra mile to help you.I think its a great place to stay with parking, Near the tube all of London on ones door step.Great food.I would give it 100 out of a 100 the BEST IN LONDON

Michael P.Potter ,Limerick Ireland

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
suffolk
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 10, 2012

Stayed for 2 nights, very pleasant room, Landlady was very pleasant, very helpful.

Paid £65 for a Double Bedroom, bed was very comfortable, with clean and well maintained ensuite, - no scabby shower fittings that you find in some lower price accomodation.

Have stayed in many B & B type ldgings over the years and have paid more for a lot less of a room.

Should the need arise to use this venue again, I would not hesitate.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

Hi i have stayed at many bnbs and hotels over the years (far more than my reviews go back), but this was ridiculous.

I got to the door, and said i had a reservation, an old irish woman opened the door and said `one moment`, she let the door slam in my face, didnt even invite me in!
She said `whats the name` ... nice - i like being refered to as `the`.

Anyway, she said `thatll be 55 a night`. I said `woa i was told 45 on fone last night`, and she said i dont know who you spoke to but thats wrong.
I said, well the room is available for the 2 nights i need it dont you.
`let me check` she said, and slam the door shuts in my face again leaving me standing in the driveway again - i kid you not!
she comes out and says `we only have for tonight you want it or not`...

I didnt even answer her, i was really frustrated at being spoken down to like that and left. I took another hotel instead.

Really really rude, huge attitude staff...
if you knock on and merely enquire about prices, you are greeted with a `huh what`??????

Bad customer service.. look at previous reviews on here, its definatly not `me` thats the problem

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank c b

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

To find a hotel in London where you can have a double room and breakfast for only £65 seemed too good to be true. But that was what was on offer at the Regal Guest House. Notice the word “hotel” in the first sentence: that’s how the Regal advertises itself on the sign on the front of the premises.

According to the Regal’s website, it is a “friendly, family run concern” that has been “recently refurbished to the highest standards”. The reason for the quotes will soon become clear.
There is a limited but adequate amount of parking on the hotel/guest house’s forecourt, though the cars nearest the building can get boxed in.

The first real surprise comes on entering the hotel. The Reception desk is completely covered with framed photos of the proprietess’ grandchildren, set off with tinsel and other bits of decoration. The effect is one of a shrine or an exhibition. It most certainly does not feel like a hotel reception area, more like you’ve intruded on someone’s private home. This effect was heightened by the proprietress’ lack of any sort of welcome – indeed, she seemed to resent having any “guests”. On telling her our name, she checked to see whether we had parked our car to her satisfaction then simply asked for her £65 up-front in cash.

Ah well, we thought, it’s only for one night and with newly-refurbished rooms we should be comfortable...

Newly-refurbished? What on earth did was it like before, then? Our room, to which we were unceremoniously given the key and sent upstairs to find it, was quite dismal. The bedding was a sort of off-grey colour, the sheets and pillow-cases wrinkled and certainly untouched by an iron. In fact, we suspected (no proof here, of course) that the beds had not been changed after the previous occupants had left. The towels in the en-suite were similarly off-colour (may once have been white) and were frayed; they didn’t even match each other. The en-suite smelled musty and damp and if it was indeed newly refurbished the job must have been done by a team of untrained chimps who were having an off-day.

Still, as I said, it was only for one night (thank goodness) and the bed was adequately comfortable; and the breakfast was a few notches better than the room. I only ever have toast and coffee but my wife had the full English breakfast which she said was well cooked and enjoyable, thought the bacon was fried rather than grilled. Amusingly, every place was laid ready with a bowl of cornflakes – my pet hate, cornflakes! What’s the betting mine were put straight back into the box?

Being in Golders Green Road the Regal is well placed if you want shops, or routes into Central London. The tube station is a ten-minute walk away and there are plenty of buses. However, if you’re looking for a warm welcome, look elsewhere than the Regal. But then, you get what you pay for, as they say...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple