“Rudest staff ive ever known`”

The Regal Guest House
We can't find prices for this accommodation
The Regal Guest House
Ranked #324 of 573 London B&B and Inns
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Rudest staff ive ever known`”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2011

Hi i have stayed at many bnbs and hotels over the years (far more than my reviews go back), but this was ridiculous.

I got to the door, and said i had a reservation, an old irish woman opened the door and said `one moment`, she let the door slam in my face, didnt even invite me in!
She said `whats the name` ... nice - i like being refered to as `the`.

Anyway, she said `thatll be 55 a night`. I said `woa i was told 45 on fone last night`, and she said i dont know who you spoke to but thats wrong.
I said, well the room is available for the 2 nights i need it dont you.
`let me check` she said, and slam the door shuts in my face again leaving me standing in the driveway again - i kid you not!
she comes out and says `we only have for tonight you want it or not`...

I didnt even answer her, i was really frustrated at being spoken down to like that and left. I took another hotel instead.

Really really rude, huge attitude staff...
if you knock on and merely enquire about prices, you are greeted with a `huh what`??????

Bad customer service.. look at previous reviews on here, its definatly not `me` thats the problem

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
5 Thank c b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2011

To find a hotel in London where you can have a double room and breakfast for only £65 seemed too good to be true. But that was what was on offer at the Regal Guest House. Notice the word “hotel” in the first sentence: that’s how the Regal advertises itself on the sign on the front of the premises.

According to the Regal’s website, it is a “friendly, family run concern” that has been “recently refurbished to the highest standards”. The reason for the quotes will soon become clear.
There is a limited but adequate amount of parking on the hotel/guest house’s forecourt, though the cars nearest the building can get boxed in.

The first real surprise comes on entering the hotel. The Reception desk is completely covered with framed photos of the proprietess’ grandchildren, set off with tinsel and other bits of decoration. The effect is one of a shrine or an exhibition. It most certainly does not feel like a hotel reception area, more like you’ve intruded on someone’s private home. This effect was heightened by the proprietress’ lack of any sort of welcome – indeed, she seemed to resent having any “guests”. On telling her our name, she checked to see whether we had parked our car to her satisfaction then simply asked for her £65 up-front in cash.

Ah well, we thought, it’s only for one night and with newly-refurbished rooms we should be comfortable...

Newly-refurbished? What on earth did was it like before, then? Our room, to which we were unceremoniously given the key and sent upstairs to find it, was quite dismal. The bedding was a sort of off-grey colour, the sheets and pillow-cases wrinkled and certainly untouched by an iron. In fact, we suspected (no proof here, of course) that the beds had not been changed after the previous occupants had left. The towels in the en-suite were similarly off-colour (may once have been white) and were frayed; they didn’t even match each other. The en-suite smelled musty and damp and if it was indeed newly refurbished the job must have been done by a team of untrained chimps who were having an off-day.

Still, as I said, it was only for one night (thank goodness) and the bed was adequately comfortable; and the breakfast was a few notches better than the room. I only ever have toast and coffee but my wife had the full English breakfast which she said was well cooked and enjoyable, thought the bacon was fried rather than grilled. Amusingly, every place was laid ready with a bowl of cornflakes – my pet hate, cornflakes! What’s the betting mine were put straight back into the box?

Being in Golders Green Road the Regal is well placed if you want shops, or routes into Central London. The tube station is a ten-minute walk away and there are plenty of buses. However, if you’re looking for a warm welcome, look elsewhere than the Regal. But then, you get what you pay for, as they say...

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank MickStearbes

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Hereford
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2011

Good value and location just 5 mins from tube and bus station. Rooms are quite small and not the comfiest of beds

• Stayed October 2011
Conwy, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2011

Stayed here just for 1 night after being to an event in Golders Green so was really only used as a place to get our heads down after getting in before moving on. We had a room downstairs for three of us so it was like staying in a bedroom and not a room due to the complete lack of space. TV was small and crap. However we did have our own kitchen attached if we had wanted to use it. Breakfast was cereal, juice, tea/coffee and a small cooked breakfast which filled a hole. Included bacon though, bit surprising as this was a Jewish guest house. I'm not really a guest house person preferring hotels myself, but for a couple I think this could be acceptable, depends on what room you get and what mood the landlady is in. A friend with me has used the place a few times and said she can be a bit funny at times, but compared to the Golders Green Hotel across the road it's a palace!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lingo72
Venlo, The Netherlands
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2011

We arrived late and went out immediately to eat so we did not have a good look at the room. My first impression was "Shabby - Nothing like the photo's!". Room was tiny, mismatched furniture. Double bed replaced by 2 singles as a result the besside light at the foot of one bed. When we returned we had a closer look - grubby walls, dust and hair everywhere, filthy light switches, dirth coffee mugs. Worse shock to come - our sheets were NOT clean! Rumpled and not just out of a dryer! Head indentations on the pillow and hairs and stains on the sheets!!!. The duvet cover was smelly and stained. I tried to rouse the landlady to no avail. Unfortunately the hotel across the road was full and considering that it was past midnight we made the best of it sleeping on the cleanest bits in our dirty clothes.
The shower, loo and basin were dirty too with toothpaste lips on the glass and the bathmat was slimy it was so grubby. Thank god for throughaway travel face cloths!!
Because we needed to leave our luggage there after check-out we kept quiet at breakfast. The smoke alarm sounded off constantly during breakfast too.
On the plus side our luggage was stored safely and we were given a key to keey to retrive our luggage on return. The trust the landlady showed in us was refreshing but not worth the filthy room!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
5 Thank Disgusted05
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2011

July 8th, 2011 - Made a reservation for my father for when he visits next week. Got promised by the landlady that the room is reserved and that there's no need in a deposit, only to confirm on Friday 8th July if my father is arriving or not. Called on Friday as agreed, and was told very rudely that there are no rooms available. When I complained about the lack of service and false reservation - she replied that I can complain till tomorrow, but it won't change the fact that there's no room and she didn't care that I now have no accommodation for my father... or in her words: "they are your guests, not mine..." when asked what do I do now. Made a mistake by not trusting the previous reviews who warned about this hotel and the horrendous service! Lesson now learned... Do yourselves and others a favour and stay away - maybe if enough people vote with their feet, the landlady will learn her lesson that lying to your customers and treating them badly hurts.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
7 Thank RockUK_11
Preston, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

Myself, my partner and a friend stayed at the guest house on 27th May and 28th May. We were greeted by the owner who we found to be pleasant, polite and very helpful providing as much information about the local area, where to go, how to get there etc.

Myself and my partner had been double booked into a room and therefore we were upgraded to a double, double room with a shower and bath which was a pleasant surprise!

The beds were hard and slightly uncomfortable but no bed is ever as good as your own! The guest house was lovely and tidy throughout with ample parking spaces outside (although you may get blocked in if it is at a busy time).

As mentioned already the website states that cards can be used for payment - this is untrue and cash must be the method of payment only, also contrary to their website the breakfast is not included in the price but there are lots of local cafes nearby (although Golder's Green is a majority Jewish area and a lot of the cafes serve Jewish food / specialities which might not be to everyone's taste). We ate at the Imperial Cafe and had a full English breakfast and a juice for £6 each.

The tube is just up the road from the guest house and ideal for commuting into London. Tip - if you are staying at this guest house (or anywhere in the tube area) and intend on making more than one journey on the tube you can purchase an Oyster Card for £3 (deposit which is refundable on the return of the card) which you then load up with money. I used about £11 of all weekend and travelled from Golder's Green to Waterloo and back as well as other journeys. It works out at half price what it would be to pay at each stop - and far more convenient!

Overall a nice place to stay in a nice area.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple