“Hot room, hot water from cold water faucet”
Review of Goldsmiths House

Goldsmiths House
Ranked #408 of 571 London B&B and Inns
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stayed here for 3 nights last week. I will never go here again. A week before my visit I sent an e-mail asking for room that didn't face the street. I got no response and when I asked again at the reception I got a room facing the street side. I arrived at 11 am. My room wasn't ready. My first impression of the room was that it was fine. It was big enough, plenty of room, it had a wash basin and it looked clean. The room has no air conditioning and it was hot last week. The street side is not only noisy, it also has the sun shining on it most of the time. In the evening when I got back I opened all cupboards. I found in the cupboard top-left rubbish from a former occupant. There was no rubbish bin in the room. When I tried brushing my teeth the next day, hot water came from the cold water faucet (also from the hot water faucet. When I told the receptionist about the rubbish, I was told this was impossible and that there were rubbish bins in all rooms. When I got back in the evening, the lift wasn't working (I was on the 3rd floor) and the rubbish was still in the cupboard and there was still no waste basket. The next day, the lift still wasn't working.

Room Tip: Try not to stay in room 311. Try and get a room away from the street
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank KlaraJL

Reviewed July 23, 2013

What a great place to stay.
I am a 22 year old female, single guest. I had a single bedroom and paid about £30
My single bedroom was clean, petite, had a single bed, wardrobe, sink and desk with chair. I had a garden facing room which was very quiet. A block of 3 toilets and shower cubicles were located at the end of the corridor. These were adequate, basic and clean. I didn't use the kitchen.

Negatives: I visited on a particularly hot summers day and my room was absolutely sweltering even with the windows open. The corridor with all the other rooms was moderately quiet. Despite the hoovering going on at 7am(!!)

Positives: cheap, clean, good location, private room

Basic accommodation, (very similar to student university Halls)

The price is perfect. Not too much and not too little. Its affordable accommodation in a fantastic location. I wish there were more places to stay like this in London. The low price means I can afford to stay again the future when I am next working in London.

Thanks!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank SLH91
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I stayed here for 2 nights in June 2013. I wanted a quiet, safe, basic and cheap place close to a Tube station - and this fit the bill. To be honest, I have no idea what one of the other commenters is on about...for £25/night in London, a secure quiet single room is a steal. Of course it's going to be an old building...

This is a women-only building - a plaque near the front door says it was donated to the YWCA in 1940 - though now it's run by a group called Veridian. There are maybe 80 rooms over 3 floors. My room (110) was about 10' x 8' in size and had a single bed, sink, large wardrobe and desk with roll-chair. Door locked securely and the window opened - I didn't need the radiator. The toilets (4 separate stalls for the 19 rooms) and shower room (5 cubicles, I think) were down the hall. As you'd expect, bring slippers for the shower and a towel. There were 3 working plug sockets in my room. Sheets on the bed seemed clean and cheerful.

The friendly concierge (they're 24 hours) showed me around, though I didn't use the kitchen or common rooms. There are 2 common rooms on the ground floor with wifi access, 3 or so free desktop computers and a nice sunny garden. Kitchen and eating area is large and everyone is given a designated space in the fridge (with labelled box) as well as a lockable food storage cupboard. Handy.

I'd agree with one commenter - the area (though safe-seeming) is residential and it's a 10minute (max) walk from the Tube - so I tried to arrive before dark. You can hear the train noise through your open window, but it's not too bad if you're used to city noise.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank canuckabroad10
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Located at mornington crescent, near camden town. very clean and comfy rooms, although basic, but good value for money. showers are clean, i was pleasantly surprised. Also, its more of a residence rather than a hostel. Its women-only which is safer for female travellers. Has its own kitchen and laundry room. Caution, reception is not helpful at all. Laundry card sucks your money (3.20 pounds for one wash and 1.2 pounds for dryer) as for the first time i did not quite know how to work the machines, so wasted about 10 pounds. Asked front desk for help but was met with a bad attitude that he couldnt do anything about it. A fellow resident helped me ask for a refund but to no avail. so be careful when using the laundromat. also, the place has a lounge where there are 2 working computers, and a nice little garden. there is a lift. the wifi is for long term residents only as it starts from a month for paid wifi. no free wifi at all. hence i didnt have wifi during my 4 nights stay as it is not worth it to pay for a month's worth of wifi access when i am only staying for a short while. overall, the place is clean, safe, and value for money. however it is a residential area and at night (10, 11 pm) i did not feel safe walking back to the residence. it is about 10 mins walk from the tube station.

Room Tip: choose higher floors and facing the garden. they granted my request./
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Sherylfoo
Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed here during the Olympics and was surpised by the great rates. I cannot say enough about the friendly staff member that was on duty during my stay. Muhammed really went the extra mile for me and could not have done more to help me on my way. His advice, kindness and generosity made my visit to London so much more enjoyable, I really appreciated it. Goldsmiths House is good value for money, especially for short stays! I will be coming back to stay next time I'm in London.

Room Tip: Take a towel!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Mandy C
Reviewed August 5, 2012

Nice location in Camden, within walking distance of Regent's Par and with good transport connections to the centre. My room was facing the street and was rather noisy, so if you're a light sleeper ask for one overlooking the garden. The room itself was small and not exactly clean, the same can be said about the shared bathroom. Access to the kitchen comes in handy - good place for a short budget trip.

Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank cold_sea
Reviewed July 8, 2012

This was my first sojourn at this women only hostel. I arrived not really expecting top notch accommodation due to its hostel status, but I have to say certain aspects of my stay pleasantly surprised me. These were, comfortable bed, decent, clean room and helpful staff. The main problem was with the shower, it was far too clumsy and cramped to negotiate, lacked a little recess or dish on which to place your shower gel or soap and had no towel rails on the door. Plus, the thermostat needs to be rejigged. I know this may be a minor point but I arrived there for one night, feeling worn out and really looked forward to having a shower, only to have these annoyances slow me down. Otherwise, it is a novel little place, but I shan't be returning again due to the above issue and noisy neighbours.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo