“Really handy for central London”

Hyde Park Economy Apartments
Ranked #944 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed September 10, 2013

Stayed in the appartments, having stayed in teh area before, we stayed for the Radio 2 concert last Sunday, it was really handy for the show and to walk back afterwards. There are two tube stations within easy walking and a QPark car park in the next street which is much more compettive than NCP and secure 24 hours a day.
The flats are self contained so have a cooker, microwave, keetle etc so be prepared and take you own tea, coffee etc for breakfast. I would describe them as functional, not luxury but clean and spacious. Our room faced out on the main road, Queensway (off Hyde Park) and wasnt unduly noisey. It was a little stuffy but they had provided a fan in the room.
The bed was comfy but if you like two pillows, ask when checking in as the one pillow was a little flat we found1 Checking in is done down the road in number 55 (we were in 11-13) only a short walk but it wasnt made clear.
I you like cafe's I would recommend Cafe Roma around the corner, small but very nice. There are also the normal assortment of Sainsburys' Tesco's metros etc.
We would stay there again, having used the 'executive' appartments nearby before we felt the only different was the slight differences in decor and the fact that you check in at the building your staying in.
We felt safe both in the daytime and at night an important thing in London...

Room Tip: Ask for a second pillow! Take some coffee, tea etc
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank colin t

Reviewed August 25, 2013

I have read reviews here and I must say I feel they have been a bit unfair .. Yes it's not the ritz and it could do with a wee bit of tlc! I was pleasantly surprised when I got there after being so anxious as to what horrors I would meet behind the door of our apartment after what I have read.
If you want a good location,which is practically on the door step of Kensington palace and you're not fussy about interior design,and lets face it, if you're going to London for a city break how much time are you going to spend in the apartment? And yes the kitchen/dinette is small but a trip to the mini market for a few things to cook up is waaaay better than paying ridiculous London prices to eat out. Mini market is just around the corner and so to is the underground station. And there is a laundry room down stairs too.
I think some of the bad reviews I've read here are just plain fussy in my opinion.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Tracey M
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We booked the Hyde Park Economy Apartments to be close to the major attractions of London without long train travel each day. The suite lived up to our expectations as to location and amenity.

Because of some of the comments we had read on Trip Advisor about lack of lifts I rang ahead to ensure that we did not have too many flights of stairs. The gentleman who answered said he would ensure that the sub-ground unit he had earmarked would not be changed and this was the situation when we arrived he also advised us that the check-in was at number 55, up the street from number 11 where the unit was.
When we asked the check-in if we could leave our luggage as we were too early for the 1400 time. The lady made a phone call and we were able to get into the unit at 11 AM.

The units are basic and compact as one would expect considering the location and price, but have everything that is required for day to day living (including a refrigerator), in our case for 2 persons.
Only one thing marred our stay, the bed. On our first night we found that the slats that support the mattress had come out of place causing the bed to sag in some places. Next morning we reported this and the reception gave the task to their maintenance man while we were there. Next night we found that the bed had only been partially repaired and still sagged. We reported the problem again but next night it still sagged.

The day we left we once again reported the bed and received profuse apologies, we were also able to leave our luggage while we went to explore the Portabello Markets. This was a great thing for us as we would probably had to miss the markets without this. We were not the only people leaving luggage and the management have a room at the back of the office especially for this.

If it had not been for a lazy maintenance man we would have had nothing but positive comments to make. We would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a lower floor as there is no lift
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LapunMan
Reviewed July 31, 2013

In photos room looked larger & more spacious. Could not move in shower. No spare toilet roll and no toiletries. No tea towel. No cleaning of room in 1 week. Towels changed only once. No lift or escalator. Too difficult to go up or down with luggages. No value for money.

Room Tip: Not recommended!!!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 42Disappointed
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

Fantastic stay :) have stayed here before and was all perfect too. Was able to check in early room was clean and there was even a fan on to keep the place cool when I arrived as it was 34 dagrees :). Marie in reception and anyone else I dealt with there was brilliant and so helpful. Room was so clean and perfect for my stay :)

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I rated this accommodation "Average", because "Poor" sounds so much worse, so somewhere in between is where I would place it. I am in the 65-70 age bracket, travelling on my own, and am fairly fit and able. I stayed for 2 nights. Fortunately, the weather was good, so traipsing around to No. 55 Inverness Terrace to check in, and then back to No. 14 Inverness Terrace was bearable, with luggage etc. My apartment was on the 4th floor. No lift. 88 stairs!! With luggage. So please take this possibility into account, if you book here. I found it a struggle, but do-able as long as you have no health problems. Insist on lower floors if you find this daunting.

The room was just big enough for a double bed, small table and chairs, sink, fridge, microwave, TV and table, and a separate toilet and shower squeezed in. The space was adequate for me on my own, and I am quite small/petite. This accommodation would be totally unsuitable for a couple who may well be larger.

I chose an apartment so that I could prepare my own food (salads and cold stuff), so the fridge, kettle and sink were all I needed in that department.

The window was open-able, which is good. There was a venetian blind which had seen better days, and could not easily be manipulated. The best thing was that there was a big, floor fan which oscillated. I was very glad to have that, as I am a bit of a hot bod, and the weather was beginning to get hot!!

I wasn't seeking luxury when booking this economy accommodation, but I was seeking basic comfort and cleanliness. I got both of these. No frills. The room had tatty bits of skirting, but plenty of accessible sockets, which I required for essential charging of phone and ipad. The room was very "tired", but everything seemed to hold together. Toilet paper was not provided. I acquired some of my own. I am not sure whether it should have been provided and was just forgotten, but reading another comment on this site suggests that I was not the only one to notice.

A real bonus for me was free wifi, so I was happier to spend more time in the room so that I could relax and use it. I live in the Channel Islands and subscribe to providers not recognised in the UK, so I did not have access to my own portable hotspot anywhere as I do at home, as I turned it off due to roaming charges stacking up.

Because this apartment was so very conveniently placed, with Queensway (Central Line) and Bayswater (Circle and the green line) equidistant (200-300m?) away, I was able to pop back during the day to offload shopping or change clothes, or whatever. The Oyster Card was therefore very useful.

Kensington Gardens are just on your doorstop if greenery and open space has appeal, and then Hyde Park further down the road. I quite like walking, so I walked to the shops in Oxford Street late Thursday afternoon. Thursdays seem to be mobbed with shoppers. I got a bus back, for a change. Time well spent.

All in all this accommodation was less than I expected, but proved to be adequate for my needs, and whilst it did not enhance my two days away (except for free wifi), it did not detract from it either.

Room Tip: No lift. Choose floor level according to your ability to walk up 2 x 10 stairs per floor.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
3  Thank Penny K
Reviewed June 24, 2013

Somewhere along the line the renters failed to tell us, and of course it was not in the promotional material, that you had to check in and pick up the keys at an entirely different location than the address of the apartment. This resulted in a significant waste of time and money going back and forth. The unit was on the 5th floor. There was a tiny elevator that made scary noises as it made its way to the top floor. The water pressure in the shower was so little that I had to stand under it for about 30 seconds just to get my hair wet. Pretty pathetic.
I would not recommend this place to anyone.

Room Tip: Find a place where you can check-in the same place you are staying.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business