“Good food but..” 4 of 5 bubbles

Princi
Ranked #9 of 399 Dessert in London
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza, European
Good for: Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Buffet, Free Wifi, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Soho
“Good food but..”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

It isa very beautiful place.
You may have the option to have self service or you may eat inside the restaurant.
Everything is homemade and you may see it, from the starters to the desserts.
The restaurant pizzeria has got a real stone over with real fire, so the pizzas or other food has got more authentic flavour, but the pizzas that we had this time were not nice like we had before, something was different as the flavour of the base and the pizzas was not with lots of condiments like it was before, I think the company tries to save a little of money. Very risky, because they may loose few customers.
The service in the restaurant is good, but the team speed you up to be served and from a relaxing visit has been a race with the timing...

Visited April 2013

• Polish first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Looks can be deceiving.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 16, 2013

Popped by around 9:30pm on a Tuesday evening, finally, after walking past and in and out of this place twice in the past. It has always looked bustling and busy with many people, and thankfully, they are quite generous with their seating.

The food selection looks quite varied, but by this time, the servers were already placing out samples of the pizza for free trying and tasting. No doubt, I've got a feeling that the food was prepared in advance, probably in the morning and early afternoon and just kept warm in the ovens or under the display lights. I did not go for anything savory, since I just had dinner, but was looking to fulfill my cake craving. I ordered a Lemon Meringata, a Ombra Allo Zabaione, and a Pistachio and Peach cake. The servers were busy but courteous enough to let me know that they would take my order shortly while dealing with a pair of ladies who didn't seem to be able to make up their mind. Each cake was 4.60GBP each, rather pricey for a rectangle piece of cake measuring about 3 inches by 2 inches by 2.5 inches thereabouts.

The Lemon Meringata didn't resemble a Lemon Meringue, but I was impressed with what I tasted. The other two on the other hand, tasted quite...mediocre to say the least. The Pistachio and Peach cake was rather thick, like a fruit cake, and my friend seemed disappointed in everything she tasted. I expected the Pistachio and Peach cake to be a little more fluffy, but there we had it. The worst was probably the Ombra Allo Zabaione, which appeared to look like some sort of chocolate/coffee jelly topped cheese cake with a digestif bottom, but to our horrors, tasted something more like a rum and raisin flavored solidifed overcooked jelly top with a soggy cake bottom.

While my review might be bias, as I did not eat any of the savoury food, I was sitting next to a pair of friends who had pizza to share between them and one of them, using a fork and knife to cut his pizza, attempted many times to saw through the pizza before giving up and tearing it with his hands, shaking his head and laughing at the futility of it. In my opinion, the pizza did look a little dried out. I suppose that might be a better alternative than a pizza soaked in oil, but what is the point of having pizza if you can't enjoy a little unhealthiness? On our other side, an Italian couple, who were both red faced and tipping back one too many glasses of red wine were laughing and talking excessively loudly, and was told off by the head manager/waiter to keep things down, which they unfortunately did not. I felt that I had to shout to make myself heard to my friend who was sitting less than a meter away opposite me.

I'm tempted to come back here perhaps to try some of the other cakes, but I'm not sure if I would do so because I'm afraid that, 2 out of the 3 cakes I've tried today have not impressed me and actually left me rather disappointed. Did I fulfill my cake craving? Yes I did, only because I had to polish off all 3 pieces of cake as they failed to catch the interest of my friend after two small mouthfuls of each. It isn't that cheap either, paying so much for one small-medium sized piece of cake which doesn't take as wonderful as it looks. I'd recommend this place for a quick bite, or perhaps for brunch or lunch time where it is most likely that fresh food is being produced rather than stale food.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
Wimborne Minster
“Day in London with Family”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

Excellent food and atmosphere, all food well displayed to make choosing easy. Pizza oven can be seen at one side of the restaurant. Long tables, helpful service a busy place

Bridport, United Kingdom
“Could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2013

I used to go to Princi in Milan so was happy to see a branch in Soho. It gets oppressively packed so not such a pleasant place to sit and relax. I have only eaten cakes here and they are good - if very pricey. The coffee is good but I had to send my last one back as it wasn't hot enough.

• Visited March 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
ATHENS
“INTERESTING!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

This Italian restaurant seems to be very interesting. The service was good and the food average. Although the pizza was not great, all the other dishes were descent. I like mostly the salads and pasta.
Generally i reccomend this restaurant because its good and cheap, and had a lovely atmosphere. If you need to eat something italian i think its a good choice in London city.Long queues but the staff was polite and friendly.
It is at soho and it is a good choice if you need a lunch. Also it is a self service restaurant.