“Good 4 star accommodation close to Paddington”

Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
Ranked #332 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed November 23, 2013

The Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park hotel is one of the closest Shaftesbury hotels to Paddington station, so makes walking from the station to your accommodation fast - so its a very convenient location.

The reception is nicely decorated and the staff were very friendly. When I stayed during the week checking in was very fast and Was given a room on the ground floor. It was spacious and decorated to a good standard with a large TV with many cable channels. There is internet included and the bed was comfortable.

Some London hotels can get noisy sometimes, but the Metropolis was peaceful and quiet. Even though the windows are not double glazed ( usually this is because of regulations of old buildings) I had a quiet night's sleep. The only street noise I heard was when I woke after 7am.

I immediately found a table to sit down at breakfast and the cooked breakfast was really tasty and the staff were again friendly.

My check out was a breeze and so I arrived for my work meeting on time and refreshed ( which is not always the case when I have stayed in cheaper hotels).

I would recommend the Shaftesbury hotels, and in the Metropolis may be my current favorite place to stay because of its convenient location, friendly staff, good quality rooms and a nice breakfast.

A great good value 4 star for a short stay in central London, if you're there on business or for pleasure.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and thank you for taking the time to share your comments.
I was extremely happy to learn that you had a good stay with us and in particular I was very pleased with your comments with regards to our staff.
It is very nice to know that you consider us your current favourite place to stay at and we are looking forward to welcoming you to the hotel again in the near future.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any assistance, now or in the future.

Kind regards,
Roberta Monticone
Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 22, 2013

I stayed here for one night in early November 2013 on business.

I found the hotel easily, just a short walk from Paddington station. Check in was quick and easy and I found the room quickly. The room itself was well equipped, the bed comfortable, shower had plenty of hot water, and the TV had a good range of channels.

The downsides to my stay were:
- No room service (their website states they have room service) so if they do it was not listed in my room with menus, etc
- No room welcome pack with info of what's in the area or even a number to call to speak to reception
- No proper hotel bar

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park for your recent stay in London and thank you for taking the time to review your stay.

I was happy to read that you had a pleasant stay with us even though we didn't manage to exceed your expectations; we provide room service only for breakfast and for a selection of drinks, as unfortunately our restaurant is open only for breakfast and we don't have a bar.
There should have been a guest directory in the desk drawer with a list of our facilities and local amenities, I am really sorry if this was not the case in your room.

However, I do hope you will be staying with us again in the near future; please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

Kind regards,
Roberta Monticone
Hotel Manager

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Stayed here for a couple of nights whilst in London for business. Very friendly and helpful staff. Room a bit on the small side but had everything I needed, including FREE WiFi which worked at a good speed. Bed extremely comfortable, bathroom compact but adequate for my needs and the shower was powerful and easy to control.

As a single guest it was great and at an attractive price compared to some of the other Chain Hotels in the area. I would definitely use this little gem again when I am in London.

Great Malaysian restaurant less than 70 metres from the hotel. Definitely worth a visit but be warned they don't serve alcohol.

Room Tip: I had room 014. Its on the ground floor at the front of the hotel so some road noise but no noise fr...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

Let me start with many thanks for choosing to stay with us on your recent visit to London. Guest's feedback is very important to us and help us to achieve high goals in this industry.

We were all please to read your feedback where you enjoyed your stay with us and would love to stay with us again and again. Kindly contact me prior to your next booking with us and allow us to look after you again.

Kind Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Reviewed November 19, 2013

Having stayed at a different Shaftesbury hotel and absolutely loving my experience there, I had high hopes for this hotel. The location is great and the reception staff VERY welcoming and helpful, but my basement room was incredibly stuffy and somewhat worn down and the only window I had led out into a corridor. The internet connection in my room was not very reliable and I was only informed after check-in that the air conditioning was not operating. The walls of the room were also very thin - I could hear water running in the next room whenever my neighbours used their bathroom, which, coupled with the sound of footsteps from the floor above and people shuffling to the restaurant for breakfast was very disturbing early in the morning. Unfortunately, I can't help but compare my experience here with its sister hotel where I paid much less and had a far more enjoyable stay. Breakfast at the Metropolis was generous and decent but not that great. I am thankful I paid a discounted price because I do not believe a basement room is worth full price (if they are all like the one I stayed in).

Room Tip: I don't know about the other rooms, but definitely avoid a basement room if the air-conditioning...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank CJ6587

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us and also for leaving your feedback on this website. Guest comments are precious to us as they help us to improve more.

I'm sorry to know that you didn't like basement room and had some inconvenience between your stay. Your mentioned flaws has been forwarded to concern department for not to be repeated.

Kindly give us another chance to restore your faith with us and allow us to look after you.

Kind Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Room number 007 was baking hot but the aircon didn't work. Front desk couldn't fix it.

The room is located under what sounds like a kitchen. At 0900 a blaring radio was turned on, heavy footsteps and shouting made sleep impossible.

Lots of flash up front in reception but the rooms are tired albeit well-cleaned. Bathrooms were good.

Room Tip: Avoid 007 it's hot and noisy.
2  Thank DMT_12
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Metropolis for your recent stay with us. I was very sorry to read about your stay at the hotel. We always appreciate feedback from our guests as this helps us to improve our service and product.
Thank you for your remarks and I must state that we have renovation in place & due to this there was a noise issue. However, we will certainly consider this before allocation similar room to our future guest.
Once again thank you for your feedback and Please contact me directly for any further reservations and I shall make sure we restore your faith back in us.

Best regards

Reviewed November 14, 2013

Friendly and accommodating staff great location for getting into London 6 minute walk from Paddington great breakfast. Highly reccommend this hotel good value for money for London Prices - Good rates on bookable.com early checkin was really helpful.

Room Tip: all seem good

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to respond. We are really pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us. It was a pleasure to read about our team’s friendliness.

We will surely wait for your next visit & always be motivated to give you warm welcome back in the near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed November 13, 2013

My wife and I returned to this hotel for a second time. The service, the staff, the cleanliness was nothing less than excellent. All the staff was happy and always smiling. From the time we arrived until the time we left nothing was a problem to the staff. The breakfast again was good choice.
When I read other reviews from guests who say the hotel rooms are small or the breakfast is poor I cannot believe what they are saying. Don't be put off by these comments this hotel is a super place to stay and the location is very accessible to get anywhere around London, with Paddington station and Lancaster gate tubes being so close. I recommend you give this hotel a try you will not be disappointed. We stayed many hotels in London and the Metropolis will always be our no 1st choice. We cannot forget to mention the girl at reception Monica she was very nice and always ready to help...

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We are glad to hear that you had a very enjoyable stay with us.
We ensure every guest has a relaxing visit and thank you for your observation in regards to our staff.
It will be a pleasure to have you back.

Kind Regards