“No problems” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

You added Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park to your Saves list
Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   78-84 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UH, England (Formerly Royal Sussex Hotel)   |
Hotel deals
Ranked #382 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Plymouth, United Kingdom
“No problems”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

I have stayed in a few of the Shaftesbury hotels in London, so was not put off by some of the reviews noted previously.
The hotel was clean and comfortable, and within walking distance of Paddington station. WiFI, which is important, was readily available without the curse of a slow connection.
The staff were welcoming, friendly, courteous and helpful. Having arrived hours before check-in time, leaving my luggage for the day was simply done.
The double room, whilst not that spacious, was comfortable with sufficient room to relax following a round of business meetings. Breakfast, although an additional cost, was rather good without the restriction on cooked or continental breakfast. In short, recommended and would look to stay there again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor double room used as single occupancy
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for staying with us at the Shaftesbury Metropolis.

I am writing to personally thank you for your stay with us & I am glad you enjoyed your stay. I will pass your comments to all staff.

We will look forward to welcome you back and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours Sincerely,
Gourav Gupta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (257)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Rhode Island
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

I called ahead to confirm my reservation and inform them I would be arriving late. I felt this was a good idea based on some of the negative reviews for this chain. I arrived at Paddington at about 10:30 PM and since the hotel didn't seem to be on the map anywhere, I grabbed a taxi. The taxi driver had no idea where the hotel was either and ended up dropping me off in front of a building that was being renovated. I walked down the block a bit until I found another hotel with someone to ask. They pointed me in the right direction. (A bit more advertising would be great).

I arrived and got checked in and had to sign my life away with passport number, next destination, etc. I was given my room key to 306 and asked if I need help with my luggage. I would have liked some information about what time breakfast was and check out and all that but I was too exhausted to ask.

I discovered my room 306 was upstairs (elevator) but then down a corridor and up and down a few steps and corridors. I couldn't figure out how to get the lights on and when I called, they told me to put my key card in the slot behind the door which I hadn't seen in the dark. That worked. I cranked the air conditioner as low as it would go (18 degrees C) because I was hot and sweaty. The air conditioning unit is above the bed which worked great for me because I'm almost always hot when I sleep and have allergies so I like air blowing on me. The room is tiny - the length of a twin bed and a little wider. It was wide enough for me to open my suitcase and rearrange some things for easier traveling. There are European and American outlets and a desk and a luggage stand. The bathroom is very nice. It's clean, has a basin, toilet, shower stall, shelf for toiletries and towels. The bed is very hard and the pillow soft. I was so exhausted and sick from a nasty cold that after I stopped coughing I fell right asleep. I woke up to pull the duvet over me and cough some more and then fell soundly asleep. With earplugs in, I didn't hear any noise at all ... not even my alarm clock.

I overslept and intended to check out and grab some breakfast at Paddington on the run but a nice staff lady told me I had 10 minutes before the buffet closed. I nice girl in the restaurant took my order for tea and brought it over right away. I just had toast but only because I'm the world's pickiest eater. There was a variety of food and it looked good.

I didn't get to take advantage of anything else the hotel had to offer because I was running late. I asked directions back to Paddington and found it was only 3-4 blocks. I followed everyone else with suitcases to the Heathrow Express.

I wouldn't hesitate to stay at this hotel again if I ever find myself in London for a night or two.

Room Tip: 306 involved going down corridors and up and down a few steps. There's no view but the room is q...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are also delighted to know that you enjoyed our services and we will pass your comments to concern staff as provided.
We will look forward to welcome you back to provide you the superior service and do let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Yours Sincerely,
Gourav Gupta
Worthing, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

after reading all the negative reviews we were a bit apprehensive about our stay. but we have no complaints at all, we got a friendly greeting on arrival, the room was fine, with fresh fruit and a bottle of wine awaiting us. The breakfast was very nice. and the hotel was in the perfect position for exploring London with the tube only a 10 minute walk away. A very enjoyable midweek break.

Room Tip: look for expensive hotels offering great deals
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tonydashby123
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 29, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you once again for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. Guest feedback is valuable to us as it help us to improve our services and work on any flaws.

Whole team was really please to read to kind comments here on this website and everyone feel proud that they were able to meet and exceed your expectation with us.

It was our pleasure to serve you and kindly contact me prior to your next booking with us and once again allow us to look after you.

Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Armagh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on my last visit to London in June 2013 so had no qualms about returning last week for another short theatre break.
The location of the hotel is excellent if travelling from Heathrow. The Heathrow Express goes from Heathrow directly into Paddington and the hotel is a 5 - 10 minute walk. Getting into Leicester Square is quite easy - take the direct line to Piccadilly tube Station and walk - its only 2 minutes.
I was greeted at the door by the manager Gourav Gupta, a very friendly and helpful man who is very keen to ensure your stay is both pleasant and enjoyable.
My room, 107, was large with a very comfortable double bed. It overlooked the interior of the building - no view, but extremely quiet. I live in rural Northern Ireland and am a very light sleeper, but I had the best two nights sleep in a long time. I could not believe I was in busy London. There is a great shower, no bath. Free Wi-Fi, tea making facilities big TV and the comfortable bed meant that I spent a lot of time in my room.
Breakfast was superb, both hot and cold selection. There is always plenty and a great selection no matter how late you arrive down.
The staff in the hotel are very friendly and helpful. The receptionist remembered me from my last visit which really impressed me and made me feel special. The waitresses in the restaurant are lovely - it was so nice to come down in the morning to a warm and genuine greeting.
I will be back in London next month and will look forward to staying here again. It is a great location and excellent value.

Room Tip: Discuss your requirements in advance with staff and you won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 23, 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me start with thank you for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. We value our guest's feedback of paramount importance as they help us to improve.

Your kind feedback has been shared within whole team and everyone was really please to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Moreover, it was your second visit to us and you received the same attentive service.

Kindly contact me prior to your next arrival to us and allow us to take care of you.

Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

The hotel is situated near both Paddington and Edgeware Road Tube stations which is extremely convenient for a sight seeing trip. A couple of nice pubs are located close by and the area is well positioned for restaurants and cafes. On arrival the staff were very friendly and accommodating. The room was slightly on the small size but this did not cause any problems as it was extremely clean and well furnished. Shower in the bathroom powerful and toileteries were of a good standard. Free internet access in the foyer was handy for researching locations and an abundant supply of newspapers and magazines were available to peruse.
I would recommend this hotel as its location is idea, there's lots of activity in the area and the staff very helpful and professional.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Your kind feedback has been shared within whole team and everyone was really please to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. You also liked friendly and professional staff and were glad that we were able to meet your expectations with us.

Southampton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2013

You know your in trouble when you ask a London taxi driver to take you from Paddington station to the hotel and he has never heard of it (5 minutes away). The hotel is in a road with a number of similar hotels all with fancy names and dubious star ratings. When we found the hotel the receptionist informed me that as I was staying for 3 nights I had been upgrade from a single to a double. I went down to my room in the basement which looked clean and tidy if a bit small, after 30 seconds I started to wonder what the humming noise was I opened the curtains to find a triple glazed window with all the hotels extractor fans just two feet away. As it would have been impossible to sleep in the room I went upstairs and asked to be down graded. In all fairness to the staff they upgraded me to a club room which was nice but very small with an even smaller shower room. The rest of my stay went smoothly and the staff were always very friendly and liked to help. Considering the price of the room at £144 a night I did not think it very good value.

Room Tip: Don't have a basement room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
    • 2 of 5 stars
Dear Guest,

Thank you once again for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. Guest feedback is valuable to us as it help us to improve our services.

Your feedback has been forwarded to concern team to work on flaws. I'm also sorry that you didn't like basement room - which was changed & upgraded complimentary later. Moreover, on the street where we are based, its actually a row of Victorian Style hotels one-after-one so at times it can be missed especially in the dark.

But I'm glad that overall you enjoyed your stay here. Kindly contact me prior to your next booking with us and once again allow us to look after you.

Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Peterborough, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2013

This hotel has very good and not so good attributes. The location is just around the corner from Paddington Station which offers great train connections to other sites. The staff were friendly and helpful and the Manager was quick to respond to our comments about an unfortunate experience with a taxi driver that was booked through their front desk. The room we were first offered upon check in was in the basement level of the building and had a very unpleasant musty odor. When we declined the room we were relocated to the second floor. This room was fine...nicely furnished and finished in a "boutique" style. Be aware that the room was very tiny.....we were unable to open the bathroom door without hitting the foot of the bed. The buffet breakfast provided was very good. All in all....a reasonable value for the price.

Room Tip: Would make sure a future reservation request excluded accepting a basement room.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel and sharing your thoughts with us in regards to your recent stay. We value our guest's feedback of paramount importance as they help us to improve.

Your kind feedback has been shared within whole team and everyone was really please to know that you enjoyed your stay with us. Having said that please accept my sorry for providing basement room initially - which was moved later.

All of our rooms are delicately designed and decorated including basement rooms but I can completely understand that some people don't like basement rooms. Kindly contact me prior to your next arrival to us and give us another chance to take care of you.