I had requested a 4 Star Hotel in the West end of London via Priceline and the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde accepted the bid. I used to live in London and also made a lot of business trips to London over the years so I have a significant insight into the various hotels in and around London. So here is my perspective regarding this hotel:
The pictures give it more credit than it deserves. However, let's go from high to low as to what I thought about this hotel:
* LOCATION: (Rating: Very Good): Depending on where you want to be London, the West end has a lot of value in staying in this area.
** Transportation (Rating: Very Good): If you come in from Heathrow you can take the Express to Paddington Station and it is at most a 5 - 10 walk to the hotel. It is a bit pricey but it is very quick ....15 to 20 minutes at most. Another option is to take the Underground Tube (subway) from Heathrow and transfer to another line to get you to Paddington Station or another transfer with stops at Lancaster Gate or Marble Arch. Lancaster is closer to the hotel than Marble Arch. Personally I would try to go to Paddington Station since it is not as far to the hotel. Bottom line: the tube is the cheapest, train next and cabs really expensive.
* STAFF: (Rating: Very Good): The staff at the hotel were excellent and always willing to help (which we needed).
* HANDLING ISSUES: (Rating: OK): There are two parts to this area. First.....We booked the hotel 2 1/2 months in advance via Priceline and they charged us at the time that our bid was accepted by the hotel chain. Second.....Initially, at check-in the desk clerk wanted a credit card to charge the hotel on the credit card. We had a lengthy conversation to no avail about the fact that I had already paid for the hotel once. I asked to talk to the manager about this and was told he was not in. I had to contact Priceline via email and asked for a contact in London to resolve my issue. In the end, I was given a refund on what the hotel had charged me after Priceline spent a lot of time explaining to the corporation how the PrinceLine process worked. Somewhat ironic that the hotel chain accepted the Priceline bid but didn't know how to process it. Go Figure!!
* ROOM: (Rating: Poor):
** The room was exceptionally small as was the bathroom.
** The air conditioner did not keep the room cool. After it ran for a couple of hours it would give up the ghost.
** The bed was extremely poor. You could actually feel the springs when you were laying on the bed.
** Another issue: This hotel was not created as a hotel but more like a series of apartment buildings that were joined together which caused one to have to up and down stairs to get to your room. Quite a hassle to get to/from your room.
Bottom line: I would not stay here in the future.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Cancelon, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Orbitz and getaroom.com so you can book your Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel London
- Shaftesbury Metropolis Hotel London
- Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park England