“Jackson's”

Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
Ranked #338 of 1,075 Hotels in London
Reviewed May 7, 2013

We would like to express our appreciation for the good will and courtesy extended to us by the staff during our recent stay at this hotel. We make particular praise for the effots of the Receptionist 'Monica' and your maintenance man. The coffee and biscuitr were a pleasant and welcome surprise upon on arrival..

Room Tip: Try not to have a room facing the road
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sheila J
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park .

We thank you for your good comments regarding the staff service . We are pleased to know that you had a comfortable stay with us. Monica conveys her thanks to you .

Please feel free to write to me regarding your future visit as I will ensure you are comfortable.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Joe Cool reviewed a week ago
Quality Excellent Facilities Excellent Service Excellent

I booked into this hotel, on the 26th, i had read a few reviews, and thought, well so what i will try it out. The Hotel was Excellent for the price, and location, fair enough maybee the room i was in was a bit small, but was not too bad. Was very clean, and and plenty hot water, and nice bathroom. Good tv, Comfy bed. I liked this hotel, somebody said the eggs were powder, mines were not, i had propper scamled egg, and a nice breakfast, with good staff. You wont get any better than this for the the price and location, it is close to everything central. Nice area, if you want a drink, there is a pub right accross the road. i WOULD RECOMEND THIS HOTEL, AND WOULD USE IT AGAIN. Believe me, i know this area, and there are some dodgy bed and breakfasts out there, This is not one of them i will give it 5*****. Thanks Shaftsbury.

Room Tip: "This Hotel, is worth the price, for the location" "Excellent clean rooms" &qu...
1  Thank Gery J
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Metropolis London Hyde Park for your recent stay in the city.

It was indeed a great pleasure serving you. We are pleased to read such excellent comments & thank you for the same. Your comments will be shared among our team as this will encourage them to perform even better and excel in there service.

It is really nice to hear that you will be recommending this hotel to your family & friends. Please let me know in advanve about your future visit as I will ensure you stay in one of our best room with comfort.

Looking forward to welcoming you.

Reviewed May 3, 2013

Stayed two nights by myself. My basement room was very small and noisy, but that's what London hotels are like in this price range! Great bed (took up most of the room) and pillows, very clean and a nice shower with plenty of hot water. Staff were helpful enough but I didn't eat there since there are enough pubs, coffee joints, take-aways and small restaurants close-by in Praed Street or Edgware Road. This hotel is excellent for exploring London on foot, and when they get tired or need to get somewhere fast, Paddington station is three blocks away and a bicycle point one block away. Lots of cabs pass here as well. I could have gotten a better deal by booking on the hotel's website instead of Bookings.com. Since I mainly spend time in a hotel room to sleep, the great bed here won me over! Rather stay here than in a big 3-star on Russel Square. The Metropolis will see me again!

Room Tip: Rather get a room on an upper floor. The basement is a little noisy. The laptop safe will not accomm...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about recent stay with us and we do sincerely sorry about all the inconvenience caused. Guest's feedback is really important to us as they help us to monitor and improve on services. Your comments has been shared within whole team and will be discussed with our General Manager to work on flaws and not to be repeated.

Unfortunately can't change what has happened however learning on issues, we would like to make arrangements in your future booking with us. So please write to me in advance of your next stay and I'll do my best to make your stay comfortable and satisfactory in every aspect.

Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Excellent location a short walk from Paddington station on an attractive road. Friendly staff, clean, good decor and of a very high quality for a cheaper end London hotel. Good size rooms for london, and a reasonable size bathroom.
Road noise was apparent, but not intrusive. We will definitely be using this hotel again. Best value for money hotel I have ever Used in London.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Wow what a excellent feedback! Once again many thanks for sharing your thoughts about recent stay with us. Guest's feedback is really important to us as they hep us to improve more and more. Your excellent comments has been shared within whole team and feel proud that we were able to meet and greet all expectations with us especially after relocating your booking.

It was our pleasure to have you with us and great to hear that you will choose us every time you stay in London. Kindly write to me in advance o f your future arrival so that I'll make sure that you are well looked after.

Best Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
FOM

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I selected this hotel for its convenience to Paddington and its apparent quality. When I checked in, I was told that, due to a technical problem at thehotel, I could not be accomodated in the Shaftesbury Metropolis, but I would be moved to another nearby hotel. Eventually, acar turned up and moved me to the Shaftesbury Suites. I as placed in a basement room with no opening window and almost no natural light. I complained abput the room, but no alternative was offered. Later that night, I made two phone calls to the Metropolis to strongly object to my replcement room, and requesting to be moved back to the Metropolis, but with no response. The next morning, I spoke with customer assistance at londonnights.com, where I had booked my hotel. Wth the help of this person (who was polite and responsive), the Metropolis agreed to move me back to a room with them, since their "technical problem" had apparently been fixed. I gartefully checked in to a room with one window, tiny, nicely apointed, but TINY. Interestingly, while I as in the lobby using the internet, a group of guests checked in and were whisked off in a car to alternative accomodation. I also overheard a family complain of being moved to an alterntive location and asking that they receive some compenstion for the inconvenience. Throuhout this hole process, which took a lot of my time on a beautiful London day, I had only one person at the hotel who apologized for the inconvenience. I was promised free wine in my room and other compensations by this person, but they did not manifest. I will NEVER try to stay at a Shaftesbury-related hotel in future. In 12 years of visiting London for work or pleasure, this is my worst experience.

Room Tip: Make sure you don't stay in a downstairs or ground floor room.
2  Thank cmacken12
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you on your arrival at our property. We are extremely sorry, however we had some issues with few rooms as they had to be taken out of order. We had no other option than to arrange an alternate accomodation for our guest's.

We can truly understand how annoying it must have been for you to go through a situation like this . We are all the more sorry to know that you were not at all pleased with the quality of room you stayed in at our sister property.

Our staff is very well trained to provide satisfactory service to all our guest's however ,we are very much dissapointed to know that you had no apology from their end except from one member of staff. We will share your concern among our team so that these errors are not repeated.

We do hope you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your trust in the Shaftesbury Group. I request you to kindly write to me prior to booking with us again as I will ensure you stay with us at our property .

Looking forward to welcoming you again.

Reviewed April 28, 2013

I had originally been booked into the Best Western Premier Shaftesbury Kensington (which now appears to be called the Park Grand Kensington) and while on arrival it was clear there was some renovation ongoing as a number of workmen were around, it was nothing that concerned me. I was checked in, my credit card was taken then was told I could not stay at that hotel due to the renovations and was being moved. The hotel I was to be moved to was in an entirely different part of the city and I had specifically chosen the Kensington hotel as it was close to a number of attractions I wanted to visit and other arrangements I had made. There had been no communication previously to indicate this might be the case and when I pointed out the inconvenience to the staff was met with blank stares. I very much got the impression that this move was not for negotiation and if I didn't go I would have no room for the night. I reluctantly left and was nearly in tears when I got into my room. It was small, grubby, very old fashioned and the furniture was scratched, marked and generally shabby. The fridge barely fitted into the cupboard and on opening it I then had to use considerable force to close it again. The room was extremely hot despite having had the air conditioning on for a couple of hours and eventually discovered it had been pre-set at reception so any controls I used in the room were useless. It was apparently a "club room" so I hate to think what an standard room would have been like. As I was only going to be there 1 night and it was just a place to sleep I put up with it but it was an extremely unsatisfactory experience and I would think very carefully before booking a Best Western again.

3  Thank hilary d

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you due to the transfer situation which was quite unfortunate.

We are extremely sorry to know that the room you stayed in was not upto what you excepted it to be. I request you to kindly forward me the room number so that we can take necessary steps to rectify the flaws. Guest's feedback is always taken into consideration and we strive hard towards improving the shortcomings noticed by our valued guest's.

Awaiting your response in regards to the room number you stayed in. Please feel free to write to me on my below mentioned email address. We do hope you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your trust in the Shaftesbury Group.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Booked via lastminute.com and wasn't disappointed. We had a complimentary room upgrade (so don't know what the smaller rooms would be like) and the room was fine - very clean - and even had a microwave (although I don't think all rooms have this facility). The breakfast was OK. The staff were excellent. It's an easy walk to Paddington underground station. We would stay there again.

1  Thank Alic J

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location appropriate.

It will be a great pleasure for us to serve you again .