“Good value for money....”

Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
Ranked #335 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 29, 2013

A group of 6 of us stayed here in 3 rooms on Sunday night.

A have stayed at shaftesburys before an have always been pleased, here was no different! One of the rooms was on a total slant however this didn't seem to bother anyone!

The club room came with a double and a single bed, microwave, fridge, tea/ coffee facilities, hair dryer and en-suite shower room!

We paid about £60 per room which for central London is excellent!

I would definitely return here! Although if staying font order a cab from reception as charged almost double the price.... It's really easy to flag one down outside!

• Stayed: March 2013
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 30, 2013

Dear Guest,

Once again thanks for choosing to stay with us and also for sharing your feedback on this website.

Whole team at the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park is really please to read your feedback and feel proud that we were able to meet your expectations with us. Moreover, it's great that when ever you will be around you will choose to stay again with us.

My apologies in regards to the cab as we only use private minicabs/chauffeur - which are few pounds more than the local cabs. Please contact me in regards to your future stay and I'll do my best to look after you very well.

Thanks & Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

There are newer reviews for Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Reviewed March 28, 2013

This hotel was in a good part of London, walkable to Paddington station, Hyde Park, Marble Arch etc.

We had some problems which we were half expecting having read other reviews. Despite this we still thought it worth of a good rating which says a lot!

We booked a twin room but were told only double rooms were available unless we wanted to change to one of their sister hotels. We decided on the double and they upgraded us to a club room.

The room was tiny and I struggled to see what the club room benefits were, except for the free biscuits downstairs which seemed to be available to everyone.

However the room was very clean, had a fridge, LCD TV and a great walk in shower.

Wifi is free throughout the hotel. When we checked in it wasn't working in the room but by morning this had been fixed.

We weren't expecting much from breakfast, especially as it was bundled with the room. However were pleasantly surprised at the range; full English, pastries, coffees etc, all buffet style with no restrictions to how many times you served yourself.

Outside of London, this would have attracted an average rating.
However for central London at £67 per night including breakfast and wifi, this was excellent value.

Room Tip: Book direct to get free breakfast
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank HornetBrad
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 5, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park.

We thank you for taking time to write and forward your valuable comments. It is nice to know that you enjoyed most of your stay with us apart from the problems you faced regarding poor wifi. It was a pleasure to upgrade you to our Club room which is more spacious and we do place Club amenities in the room. We are sorry if these were not placed in the room you stayed in.

Please do write to me on the below mentioned email address prior to your future visit as I will ensure you stay in one of our higher category room with Club amenities placed before you check in into the room.

We look forward to making your future stay a most pleasant one.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

stayed five nights and enjoyed it. the room was well organized clean and warm. the hotel sraff is very friendly and helpful. the location of the hotel is excellent we are sure we will be back and will recommend this hotel to family and friends.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Metropolis London Hyde Park & thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We are pleased to know that you had a pleasant stay with us & found the location well suited to your plans. It is nice to know that you will be staying with us again. Please do contact me in advance about your future stay as I will ensure a nice room is allocated for your comfort.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I absolutely love this hotel. After arriving from my transatlantic flight in the morning the hotel very quickly checked me into my room in a very quiet section of the hotel so I could sleep. The location is great and it is connected to the Paddington Underground station and Edgware Road as well. I saw 5 or 6 other guests check in during my stay, all had no issues...Surely this hotel will be my choice for my next visit to London again.....

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay with us at Metropolis London Hyde Park.

We are so pleased to hear that you found the location appropriate and well suited to your plans, plus you found the service satisfactory. It was indeed a great pleasure for us to serve you.

Please feel free to write to me on the below ementioned email address prior to your future stay as I would like to allocate a nice and comfortable room for you.

Looking forward to serve you soon.

Reviewed March 27, 2013

I stayed for two nights at this hotel. I would definitely say that my stay at this hotel was very pleasant. The hotel staff is very friendly and the customer service I received was outstanding. Right from the point I stepped in the hotel, my luggage was quickly taken care of. The check-in was very smooth and the porter guided us to the room carrying our heavy bags with a bright smile. As we were tourists, we found the location of the hotel to be great as most of London's attractions are a small distance away. Staying at this hotel was a great value for money and I would recommend this hotel to my friends.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to know that you found our services excellent . It was indeed a great pleasaure for us to be your host. We are also glad to read that you will be recommending your friends and family members to book with us . Please forward my email address to them so that they can write to me regarding any assistance they require to book a room with us.

Your comments are valuable to us and our team was overjoyed to share your feedback.

Reviewed March 25, 2013

Pleasant stay. Nice rooms, small but, for the price we paid we could not have found bigger rooms in london. 10 minute walk from Paddington station, we had got a free upgrade and we happy with the staff and overall look and cleanliness of the hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Metropolis London Hyde Park for your stay in the London.

We are pleased to read such nice comments . It was a pleasure serving you. Kindly write to me prior to your future visit as I will ensure a spacious room is allocated for your comfort.

Reviewed March 24, 2013 via mobile

On face value, this hotel looked to be a good option and value for 4* however, once you peel back the layers, it starts to raise questions over the rating. The entrance looked promising with stylish sofa's and decor however, on closer inspection, it started to lack. The sofa's were very low and too soft making it difficult to get back up (I'm a reasonably fit 31 year old, not an overweight 60 year old pensioner), possibly an ikea or cheap dfs purchase.

The reception staffs' hospitality and customer service skills were questionable, not particularly welcoming and one of them was chewing gum while speaking to new guests and barely kept any eye contact while speaking to them - quite rude behaviour in my opinion and one that I would never expect in '4*' accommodation.

The club room we were allocated (room 318) was quite small however, nicely decorated on first appearance. Once you look a bit closer, it too began to lack in its appeal. The television was overly complicated and couldn't make it's mind up whether to play sound only or give us a picture of what was on. The bed was a small 'double' with a duvet that was squashed into an ill fitting and torn duvet cover - certainly not big enough for 2 people to share. On phoning down to reception, I was advised the hotel was full as there was no spare bedding. The apologetic staff member brought up 2 extra white bed sheets which weren't really going to work. I found a blanket in the wardrobe which I wanted to use however, the stains on it put me off - I left it out with a note when I checked out saying 'Clean Me'. Thankfully, the room also had a single bed and so it's single duvet came in handy. The bathroom was barely big enough to swing a cat, mouldy sealant, cracked grout and broken towel rails which felt like they're about to fall down. The taps on the sink are very stiff and the drain probably has a blockage as it takes a very long time for the water to drain away.

The last moan I'll have is about the breakfast - booked on arrival for the discounted price of £11.95 instead of £14.95 but definitely not worth more than £5 - very greasy and oily served under heat lamps on a self service buffet cart. No flavour at all and a waste of money with zero atmosphere and sub standard furniture where the back of my chair was broken and the walls had tape to cover the scuff marks left by chairs rubbing against them. Again, 4*??

Would I stay here again? No
Do the management need to address these concerns? Yes

Thankfully, it didn't spoil a much needed day and night out with my partner

• Stayed: March 2013
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your valuable feedback as this will certainly assist us to meet & exceed our guest's expectation. We have noted each and every comment of yours and will work towards improving the flaws so that the service & standard is upto our guests requirement.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had . We wish to make it up for the errors on our part and request you to kindly give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

Looking forward to serve you soon and hope to make your future stay a pleasant one. Please feel free to write to me on the below mentioned email address as I will allocate a nice & comfortable room for your stay .