“will never be back!”

Ranked #330 of 1,088 Hotels in London
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“will never be back!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I booked a club room but when we arrived at the hotel I was informed we were booked in to a sister hotel a couple of blocks away. We went to this hotel. As we were early and our room was not ready we left our bags and came back later. The room was awful. It was tiny, not very clean and totally out of order for a 4 star hotel. They really have a cheek to think this is acceptable. I spoke to another guest who was there with her daughter and she complained about her room. Our supposed Club room was tiny so goodness knows what the basics are like!!!! The furniture is dated, tatty and unclean looking. There was and old grotty iron board leaning against the wall, heaven knows how they thought you could put it anywhere. I would never go back to this hotel. Nothing like the web site shows.

Room Tip: do not go there!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies as we were unable to accomodate you at our property which you chose to stay at. We are all the more sorry to hear that our sister property was not upto the standard what you expected it to be. Your comments have been taken into consideration and we will try our best not to repeat such errors which took place on the day you arrived to check in. We faced a serious problem in regards to few rooms which had to be taken out of service which was quite unfortunate .

The only way we can make it up for all the unpleasant experiences you had is by requesting you to give us another oppurtunity to make your future stay a pleasant one. We promise to provide you with an excellent service from the time you arrive to check in. Please feel free to write to me prior to your next visit as I would personally like to make arrangements for your comfortable stay.

Looking forward to serve you soon.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012

I have travelled to 26 countires throughout the world and stayed in literally 100's of different hotels of various types and standards - I have never felt inclined to write a review before, but am so incensed about a recent experience with this hotel, that I believe it only fair to warn others against booking with them

I booked a room at this hotel for a birthday treat weekend for my elderly in laws aged 70 & 75 - it was selected based on its location close to the Royal Albert Hall where they had tickets for an evening performance. On arrival they were told the hotel had a leak (what a surprise when you read some of the other reviews) and that there was not a room available. They were told they would taken by taxi to another hotel - out at Heathrow Airport!! They felt they had no option but to accept this alternative and spent the weekend being ferried around by taxis, which in fairness the hotel paid for. However it totally spoilt what was meant to be a relaxing weekend in the capital. It would appear there were about 8 other couples they were aware of, who were in same situation.
It is clear now, looking at other reviews reporting non availability due to 'leaks' and other supposed problems, that this hotel is in the habit of regularly over booking their rooms and then ferrying them off to other hotels, without any consideration for the effect on peoples plans for their time in London.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Greetings from all our team at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to your in laws who chose to stay with us due to the location which suited their requirement. We would like to inform you that we have no intentions of transferring our guests however at times due to some unavoidable circumstances we are forced to do so. As mentioned by our staff we did have some problem with few rooms where the leakage took place and keeping in mind our guest's health & safety we had no other option than to arrange an alternate accomodation.

We truly understand your concern as this was really time consuming and dissapointing for your family. Our endeavour has always been to meet & exceed our guests expectation and we are very sorry that on this occasion we failed to do so . We as a team would definitely like to make it up for the errors on our part and therefore I request you to kindly write to me in advance prior to your's & your family's next stay as I will ensure you all are most comfortable . You might be hesitant to book with us again, however I assure you that you will see a difference in the service you receive and will have no complaints. You will be our guest at our hotel .

We look forward to welcoming you back and hope you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Northampton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2012

A well kept hotel close to Hyde Park and a good base for tourists. Very well equipped rooms but rooms are small (The only vice I found here ) Service was good (A TV fault was fixed within 5 minutes.)

Public area comfortable and attractive.

Breakfast was first class with a very wide choice well presented. Evening meals are not available but there are many eating places in the area including a Pub opposite the hotel "the Monkey Tree",which serves good reasonably priced meals.
I did not use the fitness suite ,but it was there if required.

All round a pleasant place and not too exp[ensive

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, November 3, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank You for choosing to stay at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park .

We are pleased to read nice comments about the hotel and the breakfast service. Your valuable comments will be shared among our team members.

Due to victorian architecture some of the rooms are compact, however if you write to me prior to visting us again I will ensure a spacious room is allocated for your comfortable stay.

It will be a great pleasure for us to serve you again .

Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

All staff were extremely polite & friendly. They couldn't do enough. The room was very nice with a comfortable bed. The free upgrade to a Club Room with lots of aminities helped too!

You can walk to Paddington tube station. The last day our flight was at 9 pm (and we should check out at 12 pm) and they took are luggages in order to be able to go shopping and for our last sightseeing.

Room Tip: Club Rooms are better
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

It was a great pleasure for our team to serve you . We are pleased to read such excellent comments which you have mentioned on this website. The team feels good to know that they were able to make your stay a pleasant one.

Kindly write to me prior to your future visit as I would like to personally ensure you are looked after and stay in one of our finest room with space & comfort.

Looking forward to Welcome you back.

Milan, Italy
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

rooms are clean, bed confortable, furniture nice BUT rooms are simply TOO SMALL!!! it is london...but here we go far beyond a decent point of hotellerie!!! by international standard it is not possible to classify it as a 4 star hotel... simply not enough square mts.
pick this hotel only if you just have to sleep and not spend even 20 min in the room ..it s simply claustrofobic..!!!!!!! no space at all to move!!!!
personnel at reception ..... with no training at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank canneto79
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing to stay at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the discomfort you had while your stay with us. Due to Victorian architecture few rooms tend to be compact as compared to other rooms. We do have spacious rooms as well, however on busy days we are left with no option to upgrade our guests.

Thank you for your positive feedback on the cleanliness & furniture type. We appreciate your valuable comments.

We have some new staff who joined recently and are still under training. Hopefully , they will be trained soon . During busy hours they help us in order to learn quickly. Very sorry if you faced any difficulty while the trainee tried to assist you. They are doing their best to help each & every guest in the best possible way.

Please do write to me prior to your next visit as I will personally ensure all goes smooth from the time you arrive to check in. We look forward to making your stay a most pleasant one.

dm @shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Peterborough
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2012

We originally booked another hotel in this chain, we phoned up to change our dates and when I asked for a confirmation email I was told this wasn't necessary as I was in the system. I naively accepted this. Upon arrival there was no record of the booking and I was told they were full up. I was offered this hotel instead. From looking at other trip advisor reviews this seems to be a fairly common occurrence.

I was disappointed that I was being taken further away from the west end, however I had no alternative but to accept. I was given a free taxi service to and from the west end.

I was given a tiny room in the basement of the hotel, next to the kitchen and a massive extractor fan. At six a.m. I was woken up by staff talking and a loud humming noise from the fan. The room was completely overpriced, I stay in London a lot and I have a good knowledge of prices and standards of rooms and this fell well short.

On the positive the decor was nice, the room was clean and the breakfast was good. However this was overshadowed by the indifference of the staff at reception when I asked to change rooms. I was even willing to pay more as I wanted a decent nights sleep!

This is the first and last time that I will stay at Best Western Hotel chain.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you as you were unable to stay at our sister property . We are all the more sorry for not being able to meet upto your expectation in regards to your stay at our property.

We were fully booked on the day you arrived to check in and had no higher floor rooms available at that point of time . Therefore , our staff was not able to offer you another room. Very sorry to hear that your sleep was disturbed due to the noise near your room. We would like to make it up for the unpleasant experience you had and therefore request you to kindly write to me prior to your next visit so that I can make arrangement for your comfortable & satisfactory stay.

Thank you for your positive comments on the breakfast quality and the decor of the hotel. As I mentioned earlier, we were fully booked or else we would have upgraded you to a Club room without any extra charge.

Unfortunately, we are unable to do any amendments to your stay however we can work towards making your future stay a pleasant one. We do hope you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

Looking forward to welcome you back.

Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

we ended up here because of a mix up with our booking, but i can tell you we didnt stay very long!! the receptionist was terrible, she didnt have a clue what she was doing, and it wasnt that it was a new job either! she hardly spoke to you and when she did you couldnt hear what she said. Eventually we was dealt with by a senior member of staff, who realised we wasnt happy and wanted to cancel our booking to stay elswhere. She managed to get us transfered to a sister hotel with an upgraded room and transport over there. She even phoned us in our new room to make sure we was happy with everything. She was very apologetic. We was really looked after in the new hotel with lots of little extras. They really need to look at the staff they have here! and get them on courses for customer services and managment. I am sure then it would run a little bit smoother and more people would be happy. I cant comment on the rooms cos we nver got that far! but i was talking to a lady that was in the reception who was booked to stay for 3days through booking.com and she was checking out because she was unhappy with the room and the service she had recieved. So i would approach with extreme caution here.

Room Tip: on speaking to a customer who was staying here i would say ask for a upgrade to a grand room off the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 20, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park team I thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you in regards to the service you received when you arrived to check in at our property. However, We are happy to know that eventually you were assisted efficiently by a member of staff. We are also pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay at our sister property which is of higher category.

Your feedback is precious to us. We have briefed our staff to be extra careful & attentive while serving our valued guests. It is very important that each & every guest of ours is dealt with in a most efficient & professional manner.

I request you to kindly write to me prior to your next visit as I will ensure you receive a warm welcome & a satisfactory service from all of us as a team.

Looking forward to welcome you again.