“Deceived”

Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
Ranked #318 of 1,077 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 20, 2012

We originally booked another hotel in this chain, we phoned up to change our dates and when I asked for a confirmation email I was told this wasn't necessary as I was in the system. I naively accepted this. Upon arrival there was no record of the booking and I was told they were full up. I was offered this hotel instead. From looking at other trip advisor reviews this seems to be a fairly common occurrence.

I was disappointed that I was being taken further away from the west end, however I had no alternative but to accept. I was given a free taxi service to and from the west end.

I was given a tiny room in the basement of the hotel, next to the kitchen and a massive extractor fan. At six a.m. I was woken up by staff talking and a loud humming noise from the fan. The room was completely overpriced, I stay in London a lot and I have a good knowledge of prices and standards of rooms and this fell well short.

On the positive the decor was nice, the room was clean and the breakfast was good. However this was overshadowed by the indifference of the staff at reception when I asked to change rooms. I was even willing to pay more as I wanted a decent nights sleep!

This is the first and last time that I will stay at Best Western Hotel chain.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2012

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you as you were unable to stay at our sister property . We are all the more sorry for not being able to meet upto your expectation in regards to your stay at our property.

We were fully booked on the day you arrived to check in and had no higher floor rooms available at that point of time . Therefore , our staff was not able to offer you another room. Very sorry to hear that your sleep was disturbed due to the noise near your room. We would like to make it up for the unpleasant experience you had and therefore request you to kindly write to me prior to your next visit so that I can make arrangement for your comfortable & satisfactory stay.

Thank you for your positive comments on the breakfast quality and the decor of the hotel. As I mentioned earlier, we were fully booked or else we would have upgraded you to a Club room without any extra charge.

Unfortunately, we are unable to do any amendments to your stay however we can work towards making your future stay a pleasant one. We do hope you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,470)

Reviewed October 19, 2012

we ended up here because of a mix up with our booking, but i can tell you we didnt stay very long!! the receptionist was terrible, she didnt have a clue what she was doing, and it wasnt that it was a new job either! she hardly spoke to you and when she did you couldnt hear what she said. Eventually we was dealt with by a senior member of staff, who realised we wasnt happy and wanted to cancel our booking to stay elswhere. She managed to get us transfered to a sister hotel with an upgraded room and transport over there. She even phoned us in our new room to make sure we was happy with everything. She was very apologetic. We was really looked after in the new hotel with lots of little extras. They really need to look at the staff they have here! and get them on courses for customer services and managment. I am sure then it would run a little bit smoother and more people would be happy. I cant comment on the rooms cos we nver got that far! but i was talking to a lady that was in the reception who was booked to stay for 3days through booking.com and she was checking out because she was unhappy with the room and the service she had recieved. So i would approach with extreme caution here.

Room Tip: on speaking to a customer who was staying here i would say ask for a upgrade to a grand room off the...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park team I thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you in regards to the service you received when you arrived to check in at our property. However, We are happy to know that eventually you were assisted efficiently by a member of staff. We are also pleased to read that you had a comfortable stay at our sister property which is of higher category.

Your feedback is precious to us. We have briefed our staff to be extra careful & attentive while serving our valued guests. It is very important that each & every guest of ours is dealt with in a most efficient & professional manner.

I request you to kindly write to me prior to your next visit as I will ensure you receive a warm welcome & a satisfactory service from all of us as a team.

Looking forward to welcome you again.

Reviewed October 19, 2012

Twice in 3 years this hotel said that they were unable to supply the booked room on the day of arrival, making the claim that some of their rooms had been taken out of service due to flooding. They instead offerred an "upgrade" to a sister hotel, which on the last occasion turned out to be several miles away at Earls Court where the hotel was in fact not even as good as the Shaftesbury Metropolis - small rooms, noise from the tube etc. Never again.

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies as we were unable to accomodate you at our property which you chose to stay at. We truly understand how annoying it must have been for you to hear that the room you booked for yourself was not available.

We have no intentions of transferring our guests to our sister properties however at times due to some unavoidable circumstances we are forced to do so. We can very well imagine the discomfort caused to you especially when you found the sister hotel far away from where you actually wished to be.

I request you to kindly write to me prior to staying with us in future as I would like to ensure you stay with us in a nice, comfortable & spacious room.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel is outstanding and over my expectation. I was in London for a couple of days because of business, and was happy to choose this hotel. The location is superb, and the staffs were excellent. A special thanks to the manager, Ms. Aparna that upgraded my room to a Club Room, which surprised me. Surely this hotel will be my choice for my next visit to London again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

Greetings from all our team at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park .

Many thanks for your kind gesture of complimenting our services . It was indeed a great pleasure for us to look after you.

It sounds good to hear that you plan to stay with us in future. Please do write to me prior to your next visit as I will ensure you are comfortable & enjoy your stay.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

They are always sweet and nice to help in the reception. Rooms are always nice and clean. Some rooms are a bit small but I mainly stay there when doing business in London so I am never in the room during the day anyways. They also have bigger rooms and Club Room which are big and nice i you are staying two or three people.
Location is right next to Paddington station and close to Oxford Street and Marble Arch...all within walking distance.

Dear Guest,

We are pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay at our property & experienced a good service. Once again, I thank you for your positive feedback as this will really encourage our team to perform even better.

Please do write to me prior to your next visit as I will personally make arrangements to make your stay a pleasant one.

Looking forward to serve you soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I've stayed in several of the shaftesbury hotels and they are somewhat overrated.

Decor of the hotel and room is modern and clean - just right for a business hotels. Breakfast was also pretty good.

For me, the rooms are pretty small, fairly noisy and the staff aren't particularly attentive. There's no bar in the hotels which is also lacking for business accommodation.

For business travellers looking to stay in London if suggest somewhere like one of the national chains over these guys - cheaper, more facilities and more comfortable

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park for your stay in the city.

Your feedback is much appreciated as on the basis of this we will rectify the flaws noticed by our guest's.

We are very sorry to hear that you did not experience a very good service due to the staff not being attentitive , plus you found the room to be small & noisy. On the basis of your comments we will ensure corrective steps are taken to improve our standard and service level.

This a four star accomodation and we have the restaurant only for breakfast service. Also, we have a small gym in the hotel. Unfortunately, there is no bar at the moment . Our property is surrounded by some very nice pubs in the area so when you stay with us next time kindly contact the reception staff for information & assistance.

Please do write to me prior to your next visit as we will ensure a quiet & a spacious room is allocated for you where you have your comfort level.

We do hope you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group. I am sure you will see the difference and will experience a better service during your future stay with us.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Visited the hotel last Wednesday evening as part of a company booking of 12 rooms and very very poor.

On entering the hotel you are greeted by a horrible smell of damp and mustiness - very unpleasant. check in took half an hour as there was some issue that the hotel said that 9 of our rooms had been paid and 3 hadnt and I had to stand and wait till the reception chap sorted this out with someone internally instead of just checking me in and sorting the issue out when I had left the desk. Turns out all rooms had been pre paid so lord knows what all the fuss was about.

After wondering the very narrow and extremley hot corridors i reached my room or should I say cell.

The room was crammed full of dark furniture which left about 3ftx4ft of floor space free. The curtains were not hung correctly and when i tried to close them they more or less fell off the track. Only one bed side lamp was working. The door on one bedside cabinet fell off as wasnt hinged. I had no view at all - just three other bedroom windows looking in on my room (see one of my pictures)

The bathroom was small too with just a shower and again boiling hot. Behind the sink was very dirty - there were strange sticky pads on the wall next to the loo. Large screws were left sticking out of the loo roll and towel rail fittings (again see picture)

There was a microwave with plates in the room but no iron or ironing board (I did ask for one and one was delivered).

The huge TV in the room simply dwarfed the room and I have to say that if there had been two of us in the room it would have been un-bearable.

Had i been paying for the stay myself I would have checked staright out - I stayed in a Travel Lodge the night before and I have to say that the stay was far better with a cleaner room and far more helpful staff.

I therefore would not recommed and def would not stay there again.

1  Thank Michael S
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park & thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We are extremely sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stay at our property due to various reasons. We would like to inform you that the complete room payment is taken on arrival as per the company procedure. We can handover the room keys only once the payment is done by the guest. Therefore , our staff must have requested you to wait till the payment was sorted out.

Our rooms are airconditioned, not the corridors so very sorry if you felt warm . Please do write to me an email on the address at the bottom of my reply & kindly mention the room number you stayed in. I would like to get the maintenance issues sorted out for this particular room & I thank you for bringing this to our attention. We must have been fully booked on the day you arrived to check in or else our staff would have definitely moved you to another room .

There is nothing much we can do in regards to the room & the bath size as this is a victorian type building, however on the basis of your feedback we will for sure take necessary steps to improve our shortcomings.

Looking forward to serve you soon with a satisfactory service.