“Overbooking”

Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
Ranked #336 of 1,072 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Twice in 3 years this hotel said that they were unable to supply the booked room on the day of arrival, making the claim that some of their rooms had been taken out of service due to flooding. They instead offerred an "upgrade" to a sister hotel, which on the last occasion turned out to be several miles away at Earls Court where the hotel was in fact not even as good as the Shaftesbury Metropolis - small rooms, noise from the tube etc. Never again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park.

Please accept our sincere apologies as we were unable to accomodate you at our property which you chose to stay at. We truly understand how annoying it must have been for you to hear that the room you booked for yourself was not available.

We have no intentions of transferring our guests to our sister properties however at times due to some unavoidable circumstances we are forced to do so. We can very well imagine the discomfort caused to you especially when you found the sister hotel far away from where you actually wished to be.

I request you to kindly write to me prior to staying with us in future as I would like to ensure you stay with us in a nice, comfortable & spacious room.

Looking forward to welcome you back.

There are newer reviews for Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park

Reviewed October 18, 2012

The hotel is outstanding and over my expectation. I was in London for a couple of days because of business, and was happy to choose this hotel. The location is superb, and the staffs were excellent. A special thanks to the manager, Ms. Aparna that upgraded my room to a Club Room, which surprised me. Surely this hotel will be my choice for my next visit to London again.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 19, 2012

Dear Guest,

Greetings from all our team at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park .

Many thanks for your kind gesture of complimenting our services . It was indeed a great pleasure for us to look after you.

It sounds good to hear that you plan to stay with us in future. Please do write to me prior to your next visit as I will ensure you are comfortable & enjoy your stay.

Looking forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

They are always sweet and nice to help in the reception. Rooms are always nice and clean. Some rooms are a bit small but I mainly stay there when doing business in London so I am never in the room during the day anyways. They also have bigger rooms and Club Room which are big and nice i you are staying two or three people.
Location is right next to Paddington station and close to Oxford Street and Marble Arch...all within walking distance.

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park team I thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We are pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay at our property & experienced a good service. Once again, I thank you for your positive feedback as this will really encourage our team to perform even better.

Please do write to me prior to your next visit as I will personally make arrangements to make your stay a pleasant one.

Looking forward to serve you soon.

Reviewed October 17, 2012

I've stayed in several of the shaftesbury hotels and they are somewhat overrated.

Decor of the hotel and room is modern and clean - just right for a business hotels. Breakfast was also pretty good.

For me, the rooms are pretty small, fairly noisy and the staff aren't particularly attentive. There's no bar in the hotels which is also lacking for business accommodation.

For business travellers looking to stay in London if suggest somewhere like one of the national chains over these guys - cheaper, more facilities and more comfortable

• Stayed: October 2012

Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park for your stay in the city.

Your feedback is much appreciated as on the basis of this we will rectify the flaws noticed by our guest's.

We are very sorry to hear that you did not experience a very good service due to the staff not being attentitive , plus you found the room to be small & noisy. On the basis of your comments we will ensure corrective steps are taken to improve our standard and service level.

This a four star accomodation and we have the restaurant only for breakfast service. Also, we have a small gym in the hotel. Unfortunately, there is no bar at the moment . Our property is surrounded by some very nice pubs in the area so when you stay with us next time kindly contact the reception staff for information & assistance.

Please do write to me prior to your next visit as we will ensure a quiet & a spacious room is allocated for you where you have your comfort level.

We do hope you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group. I am sure you will see the difference and will experience a better service during your future stay with us.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Visited the hotel last Wednesday evening as part of a company booking of 12 rooms and very very poor.

On entering the hotel you are greeted by a horrible smell of damp and mustiness - very unpleasant. check in took half an hour as there was some issue that the hotel said that 9 of our rooms had been paid and 3 hadnt and I had to stand and wait till the reception chap sorted this out with someone internally instead of just checking me in and sorting the issue out when I had left the desk. Turns out all rooms had been pre paid so lord knows what all the fuss was about.

After wondering the very narrow and extremley hot corridors i reached my room or should I say cell.

The room was crammed full of dark furniture which left about 3ftx4ft of floor space free. The curtains were not hung correctly and when i tried to close them they more or less fell off the track. Only one bed side lamp was working. The door on one bedside cabinet fell off as wasnt hinged. I had no view at all - just three other bedroom windows looking in on my room (see one of my pictures)

The bathroom was small too with just a shower and again boiling hot. Behind the sink was very dirty - there were strange sticky pads on the wall next to the loo. Large screws were left sticking out of the loo roll and towel rail fittings (again see picture)

There was a microwave with plates in the room but no iron or ironing board (I did ask for one and one was delivered).

The huge TV in the room simply dwarfed the room and I have to say that if there had been two of us in the room it would have been un-bearable.

Had i been paying for the stay myself I would have checked staright out - I stayed in a Travel Lodge the night before and I have to say that the stay was far better with a cleaner room and far more helpful staff.

I therefore would not recommed and def would not stay there again.

1  Thank Michaeldevon
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park & thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We are extremely sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stay at our property due to various reasons. We would like to inform you that the complete room payment is taken on arrival as per the company procedure. We can handover the room keys only once the payment is done by the guest. Therefore , our staff must have requested you to wait till the payment was sorted out.

Our rooms are airconditioned, not the corridors so very sorry if you felt warm . Please do write to me an email on the address at the bottom of my reply & kindly mention the room number you stayed in. I would like to get the maintenance issues sorted out for this particular room & I thank you for bringing this to our attention. We must have been fully booked on the day you arrived to check in or else our staff would have definitely moved you to another room .

There is nothing much we can do in regards to the room & the bath size as this is a victorian type building, however on the basis of your feedback we will for sure take necessary steps to improve our shortcomings.

Looking forward to serve you soon with a satisfactory service.

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Dont do as i did & ruin a nice trip to London by booking this hotel. Be aware of their average customer rating of 7, this is only high because of location.
Most staff (with the exception of one very friendly lady) were rude & disinterested. Room was the smallest room I have ever seen. I am 6 months pregnant &had great difficulty fitting in the door of the bathroom, getting past the sink to use the shower, no chance of walking around the bed. Disgraceful that a 4* rating can be awarded to somewhere that has rooms of this size. Surely the rating system must take this into account.
No ironing facilities in room as brochure suggests. Fitness "room".....dont get your hopes up. Leaking shower. Dusty net curtains. Restaurant only serves breakfast. HUGELY disappointed by everything.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank SerendipityDublin
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you as we were unable to meet up to your expectation in regards to the service you received. Our staff conveys their apologies to you as you found them to be rude & unhelpful. They are the front face & the first one's to meet & greet our guests and assist them . On the basis of your feedback we will brush up our staff to provide good customer service to all our guests.

We can very well imagine the discomfort caused to you due to the small sized bath especially in the your situation. This is victorian type building & therefore few of the rooms are small compared to the rest. We must have been fully booked or else the staff would have been more than happy to move or maybe upgrade you to a bigger room type. Iron & a board is provided on request and our porters are always at their service to assist our guests. Your feedback in regards to the cleanliness & maintenance issues is much appreciated & necessary steps will be taken to rectify the shortcomings.

Since, you had unpleasant experiences while your stay with us you may be hesitant to book with us again, however I can assure you that your future stay will be excellent without any complaints. Please do write to me well in advance about your future visit as I would personally ensure you stay in one of our most spacious room with a spacious bath .

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel, in the West end of London on a few occassions. It is located on Sussex gardens half way between paddington Station and Marble Arch. The area has numerous guest houses and hotels of very variable quality.
This is one of the best that I have come accross in this area. The place is well refurbished, formed from a number of previous townhouses knocked together, well finished with good A.C. and heating together with good high quality showers and fitments. The Internet on the TV is a bit hit and miss, however Wifi is normally available.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are located to the back of the property over the mews.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

Let me please thank you for kind feedback on this website as well as for choosing to book to stay with Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel.

Whole team is really glad to see your comments and feel encouraged that we were able to meet your expectations. It was our pleasure to have you with us and I'm sure, whenever you will be around this area you would love to choose this hotel again.

Kindly contact me directly for all future visits to us so that I'll personally make sure that you are looked after. Once again thank you for thoughts about us and we will look forward to welcome you at the hotel.

Thanks & Regards,