“Very poor stay”

Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
Ranked #325 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Visited the hotel last Wednesday evening as part of a company booking of 12 rooms and very very poor.

On entering the hotel you are greeted by a horrible smell of damp and mustiness - very unpleasant. check in took half an hour as there was some issue that the hotel said that 9 of our rooms had been paid and 3 hadnt and I had to stand and wait till the reception chap sorted this out with someone internally instead of just checking me in and sorting the issue out when I had left the desk. Turns out all rooms had been pre paid so lord knows what all the fuss was about.

After wondering the very narrow and extremley hot corridors i reached my room or should I say cell.

The room was crammed full of dark furniture which left about 3ftx4ft of floor space free. The curtains were not hung correctly and when i tried to close them they more or less fell off the track. Only one bed side lamp was working. The door on one bedside cabinet fell off as wasnt hinged. I had no view at all - just three other bedroom windows looking in on my room (see one of my pictures)

The bathroom was small too with just a shower and again boiling hot. Behind the sink was very dirty - there were strange sticky pads on the wall next to the loo. Large screws were left sticking out of the loo roll and towel rail fittings (again see picture)

There was a microwave with plates in the room but no iron or ironing board (I did ask for one and one was delivered).

The huge TV in the room simply dwarfed the room and I have to say that if there had been two of us in the room it would have been un-bearable.

Had i been paying for the stay myself I would have checked staright out - I stayed in a Travel Lodge the night before and I have to say that the stay was far better with a cleaner room and far more helpful staff.

I therefore would not recommed and def would not stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael S
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2012

Dear Guest,

Greetings from Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park & thank you for choosing to stay with us.

We are extremely sorry to hear that you had an unpleasant stay at our property due to various reasons. We would like to inform you that the complete room payment is taken on arrival as per the company procedure. We can handover the room keys only once the payment is done by the guest. Therefore , our staff must have requested you to wait till the payment was sorted out.

Our rooms are airconditioned, not the corridors so very sorry if you felt warm . Please do write to me an email on the address at the bottom of my reply & kindly mention the room number you stayed in. I would like to get the maintenance issues sorted out for this particular room & I thank you for bringing this to our attention. We must have been fully booked on the day you arrived to check in or else our staff would have definitely moved you to another room .

There is nothing much we can do in regards to the room & the bath size as this is a victorian type building, however on the basis of your feedback we will for sure take necessary steps to improve our shortcomings.

We do hope you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

Looking forward to serve you soon with a satisfactory service.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Write a ReviewReviews (1,452)

Reviewed October 15, 2012

Dont do as i did & ruin a nice trip to London by booking this hotel. Be aware of their average customer rating of 7, this is only high because of location.
Most staff (with the exception of one very friendly lady) were rude & disinterested. Room was the smallest room I have ever seen. I am 6 months pregnant &had great difficulty fitting in the door of the bathroom, getting past the sink to use the shower, no chance of walking around the bed. Disgraceful that a 4* rating can be awarded to somewhere that has rooms of this size. Surely the rating system must take this into account.
No ironing facilities in room as brochure suggests. Fitness "room".....dont get your hopes up. Leaking shower. Dusty net curtains. Restaurant only serves breakfast. HUGELY disappointed by everything.

• Stayed: October 2012
1  Thank SerendipityDublin
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you as we were unable to meet up to your expectation in regards to the service you received. Our staff conveys their apologies to you as you found them to be rude & unhelpful. They are the front face & the first one's to meet & greet our guests and assist them . On the basis of your feedback we will brush up our staff to provide good customer service to all our guests.

We can very well imagine the discomfort caused to you due to the small sized bath especially in the your situation. This is victorian type building & therefore few of the rooms are small compared to the rest. We must have been fully booked or else the staff would have been more than happy to move or maybe upgrade you to a bigger room type. Iron & a board is provided on request and our porters are always at their service to assist our guests. Your feedback in regards to the cleanliness & maintenance issues is much appreciated & necessary steps will be taken to rectify the shortcomings.

Since, you had unpleasant experiences while your stay with us you may be hesitant to book with us again, however I can assure you that your future stay will be excellent without any complaints. Please do write to me well in advance about your future visit as I would personally ensure you stay in one of our most spacious room with a spacious bath .

Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel, in the West end of London on a few occassions. It is located on Sussex gardens half way between paddington Station and Marble Arch. The area has numerous guest houses and hotels of very variable quality.
This is one of the best that I have come accross in this area. The place is well refurbished, formed from a number of previous townhouses knocked together, well finished with good A.C. and heating together with good high quality showers and fitments. The Internet on the TV is a bit hit and miss, however Wifi is normally available.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are located to the back of the property over the mews.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

Let me please thank you for kind feedback on this website as well as for choosing to book to stay with Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel.

Whole team is really glad to see your comments and feel encouraged that we were able to meet your expectations. It was our pleasure to have you with us and I'm sure, whenever you will be around this area you would love to choose this hotel again.

Kindly contact me directly for all future visits to us so that I'll personally make sure that you are looked after. Once again thank you for thoughts about us and we will look forward to welcome you at the hotel.

Thanks & Regards,
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Really, really bad ... on check in the receptionist tells me that they had a flooding issue and that 5 rooms were now inhabitable - ok .... things happen. They offered me a free cab ride and a hotel room elsewhere ... ok. But where is elsewhere ... of course, close Heathrow .... you bet, central London allright.

Funny enough, the couple before me and three seperate parties right after me in the space of less than 15 minutes happen to face the same issue. What a conincidence - remember the five rooms affected.

Staying outside of central London was not an option to me, so I stayed at the Hilton close by. Yes, of course, much more expensive and nothing really special, too - but at least ... what you see and what you know is pretty much what you get.

So please do not bother going there ... and yes ... the name sounds flash, but that is all there is to it really.

Booking.com was apologetic and I am pretty confident that they don't like promoting them ... so if you made a similar experience - do share it and they will be dumped hopefully from travel sites.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Urs B

Dear Guest,

First of all, I really appreciate your valuable time taken to share your past experience with the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. I'm deeply sorry to hear that you didn't wish to stay at Park Grand London Heathrow Hotel and chose to stay nearby in other hotel.

We had some rooms problems where few of rooms were relocated to our sister-concern property that day. Other hotel is actually part of our own group of hotels and is of similar standard although I agree that it's outside this area.

Unfortunately, I can't recall the time back but we do want you to give us another chance to restore your faith in us and kindly let me in advance of your future booking and leave rest to us.

Kind Regards,
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked this hotel as part of Expedia's 4 star and they tell you which hotel after. I was there for two nights, the room I had was tiny and in the basement. Although clean and of a good standard It was very noisy most of the night and I work to hearing a couple obviously at it. Ok not there or the hotels fault but at 2am I got a strong lengthy waft of cigarette smoke as I appeared to be right next to the smoking hut at the front. I asked in the evening on returning from work if I could switch room and was told abruptly they were fully booked and I should have asked in the morning. I suffer from a bad chest and really hate smoke. Next night I woke at 6am to a creaky door (by restraraunt) this was constant for almost an hour... A drop of wd40 on every door is not to much to ask! ... Got to check out and one person on, told to leave card as long q, have now sent email 3 times for VAT receipt and got no response. Sorry but haven't stopped there again and can't recommend.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park , we thank you for choosing to stay with us. We appreciate your valuable feedback as on the basis of your comments we will take corrective steps to improve the service & standard level.

We are extremely sorry to hear that you had to endure an uneasy night due to the noise disturbance & the cigarette smoke. Our staff would have been more than happy to move you the next day provided there were rooms available. We have been really fully booked in the past. However, I truly agree with yourself that this could have been conveyed to you by our staff in a nice & polite manner. We will for sure brief all of the staff to be extra careful while dealing with our guests.

Please do let me know as to which email address you have sent your request for the Vat receipt. I request you to kindly resend it to my email address as mentioned below & I will ensure this is sent to you immediately. We regret any delays.

Looking forward to serve you soon.

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Booked as a last minute business trip to London, specifically for the location and price. Only upon arrival was I told their had been a problem with the system and the hotel was full. The only solution offered was a hotel at Heathrow. Totally unacceptable as my meeting was Central London and that is what I had booked. Very unfriendly, rude and unhelpful staff on reception and solution was only found after I refused the hotel at Heathrow.

Was transferred to another Shaftsbury Hotel in Earls Court which was not an ideal location but no complaints about the second hotel. The worse thing was I was made to feel responsible as I was told 'Well if we had your phone number we would have told you earlier'. As I was unable to complete my booking on Agoda without leaving a phone number and email address I fail to see how this is my fault. Will never book a Shaftsbury hotel and will never book with Agoda again.

And finally, as my taxi driver told me en route to the new hotel, this sort of thing happens alot with this hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park team we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you as we were unable to accomodate you at our property which was your original choice.
Due to some unavoidable circumstances it became difficult for us to give rooms to all our guests and therefore we had to make alternate arrangements at our sister property. Since the other hotel was far off , we arranged your stay at a much nearby hotel in Earls Court.

We are extremely sorry on behalf of our staff attitude towards you . We have taken your comments on board & will take necessary steps to improve the customer service of our team.

I request you to kindly write to me prior to your next visit as I would ensure your future stay is nice & comfortable. We promise to provide you with a satisfactory service and hope that you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

Looking forward to welcome you back.

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I booked a double room for two for two nights. Upon arrival I waited thirty minutes to get to the check-in desk. When I did I was told the rooms were 'out of order' and that were were being transferred to their sister hotel The Kensington Townhouse. I was assured a good room, implying upgrade, that the rooms were lovely and it was five minutes in a taxi which they provided.

I was told that I was getting complimentary breakfast which was not the case as I paid for breakfast to be included, however this was falling on deaf ears.

I filled out all the necessary paperwork and waited on the taxi. Which took more like 20-25 mins not the promised 5!!

Upon arrival at the K Townhouse, they did not appear to know of my transfer, and a booking office had to be called, and more paperwork.

This is not acceptable and check out my review for the Kensington Townhouse...its a dump! Tiny rooms, wooden framed single glazed rattly windows, breakfast, although the best hotel breakfast I have ever had, its served in another hotel on the opposite side of the street.

Seriously guys this seems to be a common problem. I will never book here again.

Room Tip: Dont book at all
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1Male30
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Please accept my deepest apologies once again for all the inconvenience caused to you in regards to relocating you room to our sister-concern property.

We truly feel responsible for your unsatisfactory stay at the Shaftesbury Kensington Townhouse Hotel. Other hotel is part of our own chain of hotels and is of similar standard but surely your feedback is valuable to us & your mentioned flaws will be shared in our next meeting with General Manager for improvements.

I'm also sorry on behalf of our trainee receptionist which took some extra time to take your checkin (as the problem happened same day with the rooms relocation). I would like to personally discuss the matter with you, so if you can please contact me at gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com at your earliest.

I will look forward to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,