Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park
  • Room Service
Athena Hotel(London)
  • Restaurant
1,506 results
All reviewsclub roomhyde parkpaddington stationsussex gardensedgware roadmarble archheathrow expressdouble roomrooms are smallreception staffbusiness tripshort stayfew minutes walklocation is excellenttea and coffeefull english breakfastmicrowave
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 12, 2012

I have stayed at this hotel, in the West end of London on a few occassions. It is located on Sussex gardens half way between paddington Station and Marble Arch. The area has numerous guest houses and hotels of very variable quality.
This is one of the best that I have come accross in this area. The place is well refurbished, formed from a number of previous townhouses knocked together, well finished with good A.C. and heating together with good high quality showers and fitments. The Internet on the TV is a bit hit and miss, however Wifi is normally available.

Room Tip: The quietest rooms are located to the back of the property over the mews.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Dear Guest,

Let me please thank you for kind feedback on this website as well as for choosing to book to stay with Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel.

Whole team is really glad to see your comments and feel encouraged that we were able to meet your expectations. It was our pleasure to have you with us and I'm sure, whenever you will be around this area you would love to choose this hotel again.

Kindly contact me directly for all future visits to us so that I'll personally make sure that you are looked after. Once again thank you for thoughts about us and we will look forward to welcome you at the hotel.

Thanks & Regards,
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Reviewed October 9, 2012

Really, really bad ... on check in the receptionist tells me that they had a flooding issue and that 5 rooms were now inhabitable - ok .... things happen. They offered me a free cab ride and a hotel room elsewhere ... ok. But where is elsewhere ... of course, close Heathrow .... you bet, central London allright.

Funny enough, the couple before me and three seperate parties right after me in the space of less than 15 minutes happen to face the same issue. What a conincidence - remember the five rooms affected.

Staying outside of central London was not an option to me, so I stayed at the Hilton close by. Yes, of course, much more expensive and nothing really special, too - but at least ... what you see and what you know is pretty much what you get.

So please do not bother going there ... and yes ... the name sounds flash, but that is all there is to it really.

Booking.com was apologetic and I am pretty confident that they don't like promoting them ... so if you made a similar experience - do share it and they will be dumped hopefully from travel sites.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Urs B

Dear Guest,

First of all, I really appreciate your valuable time taken to share your past experience with the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel. I'm deeply sorry to hear that you didn't wish to stay at Park Grand London Heathrow Hotel and chose to stay nearby in other hotel.

We had some rooms problems where few of rooms were relocated to our sister-concern property that day. Other hotel is actually part of our own group of hotels and is of similar standard although I agree that it's outside this area.

Unfortunately, I can't recall the time back but we do want you to give us another chance to restore your faith in us and kindly let me in advance of your future booking and leave rest to us.

Kind Regards,
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Reviewed October 8, 2012

I booked this hotel as part of Expedia's 4 star and they tell you which hotel after. I was there for two nights, the room I had was tiny and in the basement. Although clean and of a good standard It was very noisy most of the night and I work to hearing a couple obviously at it. Ok not there or the hotels fault but at 2am I got a strong lengthy waft of cigarette smoke as I appeared to be right next to the smoking hut at the front. I asked in the evening on returning from work if I could switch room and was told abruptly they were fully booked and I should have asked in the morning. I suffer from a bad chest and really hate smoke. Next night I woke at 6am to a creaky door (by restraraunt) this was constant for almost an hour... A drop of wd40 on every door is not to much to ask! ... Got to check out and one person on, told to leave card as long q, have now sent email 3 times for VAT receipt and got no response. Sorry but haven't stopped there again and can't recommend.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park , we thank you for choosing to stay with us. We appreciate your valuable feedback as on the basis of your comments we will take corrective steps to improve the service & standard level.

We are extremely sorry to hear that you had to endure an uneasy night due to the noise disturbance & the cigarette smoke. Our staff would have been more than happy to move you the next day provided there were rooms available. We have been really fully booked in the past. However, I truly agree with yourself that this could have been conveyed to you by our staff in a nice & polite manner. We will for sure brief all of the staff to be extra careful while dealing with our guests.

Please do let me know as to which email address you have sent your request for the Vat receipt. I request you to kindly resend it to my email address as mentioned below & I will ensure this is sent to you immediately. We regret any delays.

We do hope you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

Looking forward to serve you soon.

Kind Regards
Sincerely
Aparna
dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Reviewed October 7, 2012

Booked as a last minute business trip to London, specifically for the location and price. Only upon arrival was I told their had been a problem with the system and the hotel was full. The only solution offered was a hotel at Heathrow. Totally unacceptable as my meeting was Central London and that is what I had booked. Very unfriendly, rude and unhelpful staff on reception and solution was only found after I refused the hotel at Heathrow.

Was transferred to another Shaftsbury Hotel in Earls Court which was not an ideal location but no complaints about the second hotel. The worse thing was I was made to feel responsible as I was told 'Well if we had your phone number we would have told you earlier'. As I was unable to complete my booking on Agoda without leaving a phone number and email address I fail to see how this is my fault. Will never book a Shaftsbury hotel and will never book with Agoda again.

And finally, as my taxi driver told me en route to the new hotel, this sort of thing happens alot with this hotel.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 24, 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park team we thank you for choosing to stay with us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused to you as we were unable to accomodate you at our property which was your original choice.
Due to some unavoidable circumstances it became difficult for us to give rooms to all our guests and therefore we had to make alternate arrangements at our sister property. Since the other hotel was far off , we arranged your stay at a much nearby hotel in Earls Court.

We are extremely sorry on behalf of our staff attitude towards you . We have taken your comments on board & will take necessary steps to improve the customer service of our team.

I request you to kindly write to me prior to your next visit as I would ensure your future stay is nice & comfortable. We promise to provide you with a satisfactory service and hope that you will give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group.

Looking forward to welcome you back.

Kind Regards
Sincerely
Aparna

Reviewed October 6, 2012

I booked a double room for two for two nights. Upon arrival I waited thirty minutes to get to the check-in desk. When I did I was told the rooms were 'out of order' and that were were being transferred to their sister hotel The Kensington Townhouse. I was assured a good room, implying upgrade, that the rooms were lovely and it was five minutes in a taxi which they provided.

I was told that I was getting complimentary breakfast which was not the case as I paid for breakfast to be included, however this was falling on deaf ears.

I filled out all the necessary paperwork and waited on the taxi. Which took more like 20-25 mins not the promised 5!!

Upon arrival at the K Townhouse, they did not appear to know of my transfer, and a booking office had to be called, and more paperwork.

This is not acceptable and check out my review for the Kensington Townhouse...its a dump! Tiny rooms, wooden framed single glazed rattly windows, breakfast, although the best hotel breakfast I have ever had, its served in another hotel on the opposite side of the street.

Seriously guys this seems to be a common problem. I will never book here again.

Room Tip: Dont book at all
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank 1Male30
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this reviewResponded October 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Please accept my deepest apologies once again for all the inconvenience caused to you in regards to relocating you room to our sister-concern property.

We truly feel responsible for your unsatisfactory stay at the Shaftesbury Kensington Townhouse Hotel. Other hotel is part of our own chain of hotels and is of similar standard but surely your feedback is valuable to us & your mentioned flaws will be shared in our next meeting with General Manager for improvements.

I'm also sorry on behalf of our trainee receptionist which took some extra time to take your checkin (as the problem happened same day with the rooms relocation). I would like to personally discuss the matter with you, so if you can please contact me at gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com at your earliest.

I will look forward to hear from you soon.

Kind Regards,