“Very Well Presented”

Ranked #336 of 1,063 Hotels in London
Budapest, Hungary
“Very Well Presented”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

We chose this hotel to be close to Marble Arch, west-end.We were happy we made the right choice as the place was very clean and well presented. Staff was very helpful, although some of them were new. could guess at they were being trained on the job. it is a very busy hotel, however the Manager's and staff were trying their best to serve every guest promptly.
I wish to stay here again and I will use their website as recommended by the staff to book future stays.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park for your recent stay in the city.

We are pleased to here that your stay was satisfactory & the location suited your requirement.

Your valuable feedback has been shared among our team members.

Kindly write to me prior to your future visit as I will personally ensure you are looked after and enjoy your stay with us.

Warm Regards
dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2012

3 good features: central location, rooms have a nice, modern decor and are clean, The bathroom is small but perfectly well equipped with a good shower.
Oh but:
The service on check in was so appalling, that I didn't dare ask for any further help from reception by the time I finally had my room key. They dithered for 20 minutes over my check-in, despite prebooking on booking.com. This is after waiting in a queue for ages to even be served. There seemed to be a lot of trouble with the room allocations, and there were several disgruntled looking guests in the lobby waiting for a solution to their check-in conundrum. When I finally was handed the key, the lady apologised for the delay, saying that the staff member who had served me (not) the previous 20 mins was new. While I have some compassion for the fact that people need to be trained, I would suggest that the busy evening check-in period isn't the right time to do this!

I had booked a single room but they had to upgrade me to a double. On stepping into my double room and finding that it was literally a small double bed with a half a meter around the edges, I was glad, as I think I may have felt claustrophobic in the single. So beware, the rooms are very small and a double may not be comfortable enough for two, unless you're very newly in love . Other reviews seem to suggest that you should choose the club room if you want any kind of space.

On coming back after my evening out, I found my room key not working, so had to make my way back to reception to get it reset. I'm not kidding you, but the only words the night reception said to me was 'room number?.... Name?' No apologies or have a good night.
Single glazed windows made for an extremely noisy night. Somehwat uncomfortable mattress - Wonder whether the pile of mattresses outside the hotel are the new ones or the old ones? Compacted, solid pillows. Come on, it's not even expensive to provide comfy pillows! Wifi not working most of the time. Safe locked (I know, I could have complained to reception. But see above). On the whole you could do a lot worse. But I don't recommend it for business travellers who have a busy day ahead and require a no-hassle hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms to he back might be quieter. Check the room size if you're staying with 2 people.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park. We are grateful to you for taking time to forward your comments which are precious to us.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experiences you had one after the other in regards to your stay with us. We can very well imagine how annoying it must have been for you to wait such a long time just tryng to check in. We completely agree with you that busy hours is not an apporiate time to teach the new staff , however in our profession it is much simpler and easier for the staff to learn the procedures & system while they are on the job and especially when it is busy. This helps them to learn faster & deal with all kind of situations. Your feedback has been taken into consideration and we will see what the best can be done to provide a smooth & efficient service to all our guest's even when the staff is new & under training.

We are very sorry to hear that even though we upgraded you to a deluxe double room you were still not comfortable as you found the room to be really compact. This is due to the victorian architecture.

We will for sure brush up our staff for good customer care skills. The staff who served you conveys his apologies to you.

Our team believes in meeting and exceeding our guests expectation and therefore we request you to kindly give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group. Kindly write to me prior to your future visit as I will personally ensure you stay in one of our most spacious room & the staff looks after you.

York, UK
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Booked through the hotel chain's website as they equalled the lowest price I could find but give you free breakfast. The exterior looks identical to all other hotels in the road. The reception is modern however it is chaotic. The trainee working there is pleasant and works hard but there are not enough staff. I had 4 reasons to visit the reception desk, check in, checkout, to ask a question and to collect my left baggage. Each time people were waiting and I and others were was asked to take a seat. When I collected my bag I had to wait 15 minutes as the person with the key was nowhere to be seen. Only by complaining as I had a taxi waiting did the Manageress magic up the spare key. The Manageress constantly interrupts the trainee stopping her from dealing with guests and yet does little herself to help.

As a rewards member I was upgraded to a club room, their best room. This was nicely appointed and decorated and had all the facilities expected however it was small and narrow and felt claustrophobic. Their website details the extras club rooms get: bottle of wine, slippers, dressing robe but unfortunately these were all missing. I could not be bothered contacting reception about this given that I would have to battle that barrier again. The room however was clean and in good order but was dark and small and I was glad I was only there for one night.

The breakfast was very good, a selection of continental and English full breakfast and the staff serving were very pleasant. I would not pay the £14.95 price for the breakfast for those who don't get it included in their rate as their are many local choices in the area.

The location is good, about 7 minutes walk from Paddington tube and railway station and the same from Lancaster Gate tube. There are also lots of regular buses.

Overall my stay was OK, the room was "compact" but comfortable however the chaotic recreption service would stop me choosing this hotel again and the hotel needs to look at how to improve this,maybe by giving the manageress some training on management skills and customer relations. I didn't feel valued as a guest and keeping guests waiting every time they needed the services of reception isn't acceptable. There are too many hotels in this area competing for business so it is unnecessary to have to endure this.

• Stayed September 2012
Dear Guest,

Your feedback is important to us as on the basis of this we will try to improve our standard & service level. Your valuable feedback will be taken into consideration . We are extremely sorry to hear that you felt that the reception staff was being orderd to do the jobs. We would like to clarify here that we are trained to work as a team and help our colleagues who are new in the profession. We had a trainee working on that busy day and she was pretty new to the job. We were trying to explain her the work procedure which was a training & not an order. It is easier to get trained & learn while we are on the job. I hope you will understand that everyone has to learn. Please accept our sincere apologies for any misunderstandings.

Also, we are very sorry to know that the amenities were not placed in your room prior to your arrival. We will ensure that next time when you stay with us you will experience a very good service . Your feedback helps us to improve on our flaws & perform better.

We do hope you will give us another oppurtunity to make you a happy customer by providing you with a satifactory service.

Please feel free to write to me prior to your next visit and I will ensure we as a team are there to welcome you with great pleasure. We promise to make your future stay a most pleasant one.

Trondheim, Norway
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had booked 3 rooms for 3 people on hotels.com for one night (Tuesday 25th), which means that I had paid for the rooms in advance. We arrived late in the evening Tuesday 25th and it turned out that the hotel didn't have any room for us, which they blamed on some "reconstructions" (they have probably rented them out to someone else). The receptionist tried to find a new room for us in a different location, spent 30 minutes and ended up offering one room to share for all of us. As it was late in the evening, and the receptionist failed to give us an adequate alternative, I had to call to find a new hotel rooms for me and my colleagues myself. I asked them specifically not to charge me as we didn't get any rooms, but they didn't repay me. I had to call hotels.com two days after and argue in order to get my money back. All in all it was a terrible experience. PS: Another couple had the same experience as us while we were waiting in the lobby; they had to find a new hotel room themselves that night.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank TGjervan
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, October 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your feedback and also for choosing to book Shaftesbury Hotels London.

We are sincerely sorry for all the inconvenience caused to you in regards to change the booking to another hotel. We feel shame that because of last minute issues arrived with few of our rooms, we were forced to change some booking to sister-hotel. Unfortunately we couldn't find the alternative in nearby area.

We feel responsible for the unsatisfactory stay you had so may I please request you to kindly contact me at gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com and I'll discuss the matter personally with us.

Kind Regards,
Gurpreet Singh

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Rooms were very well presented, clean and comfortable. Early check-in was great and the club room on one of the higher floors overlooking the back lane brought with it a nice breeze of a night. Some minor problems with tv being stuck on the paid movie channel and the internet regularly dropping out but for the most and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank noodles_181
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing to stay at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park . It was indeed a great pleasure for us to serve you .

Your comments are most welcome as these will assist us to enhance our service & standard level. We are pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay & found the room clean & tidy.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you had due to the paid channels not functioning properly , plus the internet with poor connectivity. We will ensure that these issues are rectified by the concerned department.

I request you to kindly write to me prior to your next visit as I will personally ensure you are comfortable & experience a good service.

We look forward to welcoming you.

Asuncion, Paraguay
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,420 helpful votes
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Recently renewed, this is a nice place to spend a night, but do not expect luxury of excellent service. The location is good, as Paddington metro is close and from there you can get wherever you want. Rooms are pretty small and the breakfast is not really worth mentioning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank apalmero
Dear Guest,

We thank you for giving us the oppurtunity to be your host. It is nice to know that the location of our property suited your requirement.

Your feedback is important for us. Your suggestions will be most welcome in regards to the breakfast menu & service. You may write to me on my below mentioned email address as to what was not so good about breakfast. We will for sure take corrective steps to improve for the better.

Please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit as we will ensure a nice & spacious room is allocated for your comfortable stay.

We as a team look forward to serve you soon in the near future.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Very well designed hotel,with traditional architecture at the exterior and modern style&considerably renovated interior at a very good location. Rooms very confortable&clean,good facilities and pretty helpfull staff.Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alvaro d
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park I thank you for taking time to forward your valuable comments.

We enjoyed serving you with great pleasure. Thank you once again for such lovely comments on the service & cleanliness of this property. We will try our best to maintain this .

Please do let us know in advance about your future visit as we would like to make arrangements for your comfortable stay.