“Comfortable”

Ranked #328 of 1,089 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“Comfortable”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Rooms were very well presented, clean and comfortable. Early check-in was great and the club room on one of the higher floors overlooking the back lane brought with it a nice breeze of a night. Some minor problems with tv being stuck on the paid movie channel and the internet regularly dropping out but for the most and enjoyable stay.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank noodles_181
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear Guest,

We thank you for choosing to stay at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park . It was indeed a great pleasure for us to serve you .

Your comments are most welcome as these will assist us to enhance our service & standard level. We are pleased to hear that you had a comfortable stay & found the room clean & tidy.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the inconvenience you had due to the paid channels not functioning properly , plus the internet with poor connectivity. We will ensure that these issues are rectified by the concerned department.

I request you to kindly write to me prior to your next visit as I will personally ensure you are comfortable & experience a good service.

We look forward to welcoming you.

dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (276)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Asuncion, Paraguay
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,420 helpful votes
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

Recently renewed, this is a nice place to spend a night, but do not expect luxury of excellent service. The location is good, as Paddington metro is close and from there you can get wherever you want. Rooms are pretty small and the breakfast is not really worth mentioning.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank apalmero
Dear Guest,

We thank you for giving us the oppurtunity to be your host. It is nice to know that the location of our property suited your requirement.

Your feedback is important for us. Your suggestions will be most welcome in regards to the breakfast menu & service. You may write to me on my below mentioned email address as to what was not so good about breakfast. We will for sure take corrective steps to improve for the better.

Please feel free to contact me prior to your next visit as we will ensure a nice & spacious room is allocated for your comfortable stay.

We as a team look forward to serve you soon in the near future.

Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

Very well designed hotel,with traditional architecture at the exterior and modern style&considerably renovated interior at a very good location. Rooms very confortable&clean,good facilities and pretty helpfull staff.Highly recommended!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alvaro d
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 22, 2012
Dear Guest,

On behalf of Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park I thank you for taking time to forward your valuable comments.

We enjoyed serving you with great pleasure. Thank you once again for such lovely comments on the service & cleanliness of this property. We will try our best to maintain this .

Please do let us know in advance about your future visit as we would like to make arrangements for your comfortable stay.

Odiham, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

This is a 4* hotel with no restaurant attached to it, although it offers a choice of continental and English breakfasts.I booked the Clubroom, which is the biggest and best room in the hotel and located on the Ground Floor.It was a nice room, but sadly the noise of ventilation equipment woke me up a little too early in the morning around 06.30.
If you have booked this hotel it might be advisable to check in as early as possible. My check in experience was fine at 10.00 in the morning, However, guests arriving in the afternoon and evening did not have such a good experience, with staff unable to cope and waiting times of around 20 minutes before being checked in. On this day a high number of guests, who had booked, where turned away, as the rooms were allocated to other people. It may be possible that the hotel deliberately overbooks, to avoid empty rooms, due to travellers not arriving.
The free WiFi may work for some - but it does not work in their best room, i.e. The Club Room - 001. Very annoying for a business traveller.

1 Thank SueHS
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing to stay at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park for your recent stay in the city.

We are extremely sorry to hear that even though you were allocated a nice & the most spacious Club room , the noise disturbed your sleep during the early hours. We truly understand how annoying it must have been for you when the internet did not function especially when you required it the most. We have taken each comment of yours into consideration & will see what the best can be done to improve these flaws which can really disturb our guest's by being a hindrance.

Please accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant experience you had seeing other guest's not been able to get rooms at our property. unfortunately, we had some problems with few of the bookings on that particular day .

we as a team would certainly like to make it up for your unsatifactory stay & therefore request you to kindly give us another oppurtunity to restore your faith in the Shaftesbury Group. We promise to make your future stay a pleasant one & will ensure you are a happy customer. Please do write to me in advance about your future visit . A quiet room will be allocated for you as per your preference & comfort.

We look forward to welcome you again .

aparna
dm@shaftesburymetropolitan.com

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Maastricht, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2012

I booked a night in the Shaftesbury ahead of an early morning meeting a mile away: the rate was good for the area and the reviews were decent. The hotel is located on a quiet side street several blocks walk from the Edgeware Road Tube station, there is parking in the vicinity and the hotel is set amidst a quiet row of townhouse-style buildings. Check-in was convoluted: the staff insisted that my bags needed to be away from the desk and I needed to take a seat to wait for the group ahead of me, having difficulty with a credit card, to finish. I was assigned to a room in the basement and dismissed, not a good start.

The room, although very tiny, was well appointed and clean. The single bed was oversoft and the TV didn't work: the free WiFi worked well. There was a teapot with coffee available on the desk, but the temperature was either very cold or off . I appreciated the inclusion of European-style plug outlets along with the UK ones. The closet has a safe and a nice area to hang clothes, the bathroom was modern and clean with both a cascade and hand-held shower with good hot water and pressure.

Breakfast is served in a small restaurant also in the basement: the waitress asked me to sign in before checking whether breakfast was included in my rate (it wasn't): The buffet looked nice, but I felt like I should have been advised that breakfast wasn't included before trying to add the charge to my room. There are a number of good restaurants in walking distance towards Edgeware Road: I liked Faroush Express for Lebonese cuisine.

So, structurally, the hotel is good, but the dismissive and misleading staff drops it down a notch. Further, when paying 100 gbp + VAT for a tiny basement room, it's annoying to sneak an extra charge in for coffee and a bread in the morning. If a hotel offers a special deal to attract last minute customers, then it should handle them as they would any other guest, not as a diminished class of customer..

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
GurpreetLondon, Front Office Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear Guest,

Greetings from the Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park Hotel and thank you for choosing to stay with us.

I really appreciate your feedback to us in regards to your recent stay and based on guest's feedback we judge our services and standard and always look forward to achieve highest level of guest satisfaction. Your mentioned flaws / points towards service will surely be discussed in our monthly meeting with General Manager for improvements and not to be repeated.

I'm also glad that you liked the area, modern furniture & decor and Wifi service. Kindly contact me directly for any future visits to us so that I'll make sure that your stay will be satisfactory. Once again thank you for your time and comments and we will look forward to welcome you back.

Thanks & Regards,
Gurpreet Singh
gurpreet@shaftesburymetropolitan.com
Warsaw, Poland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 20, 2012

The location of the hotel is very good. The service probably above average. I wouls say the biggest problem is the size of the rooms - they are tiny! Also the rooms in the basement are crap and stuffy. The bathrooms are very modern and clean. Old beds!

Room Tip: Don't take rooms in the basement.
Dear Guest,

We look forward to welcome you again .

aparna
Exeter
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2012

I stayed at the Shaftesbury Metropolis last week and email the hotel prior to my stay to have their confirmation that my room, whilst being a single, had a desk where I could comfortably work. The hotel manager, Aparna, emailed me back efficiently and assured me that I would have a comfortable room. Upon check in I was given a Club Room along with a basket of fruit and a bottle of wine which was a great touch.
The room itself was very nice and made me feel very relaxed. The buffet breakfast was also great.
This is the second Shaftesbury Hotel I have stayed in and I would certainly recommend this to colleagues, friends and family.

1 Thank JMExeter
AparnaSabharwal, Manager at Shaftesbury Metropolis London Hyde Park, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Mr. Jason Mingo,

Thank you so much for your kind words in regards to your stay with us. It was indeed a great pleasure for all of us to welcome you & to be your host.

We hope to make your future stay's as comfortable as this one . Kindly contact me for any further assistance . Our staff will be more than happy to go an extra mile to make your stay a most pleasant one.

We look forward to welcoming you again.