“Once bitten.....” 1 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #475 of 828 Specialty Lodging in London
Gateshead
“Once bitten.....”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

My wife and I paid £218 for 2 nights stay. The room was next to busy pub; the room was unacceptably dirty, stains, grease around switches, mould in shower room, the area outside the bedroom window was covered in bird droppings . My wife was understandably upset, and we decided that we could not sleep in a room of this standard. We had to book a different hotel in the city centre at a cost to us of £367. There were some glowing Trip Advisor reviews of 274 Hampstead Suites. Hmmmm?

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
      Cleanliness

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
  • Polish first
Blaenavon, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 12, 2013

Firstly it wasn't bad for the price I suppose, I spent £128 for me and my girlfriend for two nights and as a last minute deal that wasn't too bad. For a tip by the way the place your looking for when you check in is called London Lets and it looks closed at first glance but it is open. We never really had a good welcome as the young girl on the desk was on the phone dealing with someone. I stood there which must have been 15 minutes before she even acknowledged me. eventually she said, fill this form in and then gave me a key. The room looked clean on first glance but in the morning we realised we had slept with someone's hair in the bed and quite a lot of it, it was dark and very long so not my girlfriends hair. The day we checked out there was no hot water in the place so we resorted to boiling the kettle, as we only had an hour before we checked out ( 12pm is the check out time) we didn't see the point reporting it but got told off at reception because we didn't, (she said we could have fixed it... as I said because we was leaving I didn't see the pint and I doubt anyone would have got there on time). Not the best stay I have ever had in London to be fair. Oh if you do go and your disabled don't bother as there is not lift just lots and lots of stairs.

Room Tip: Don't book if you are disabled as there are no lifts only lots and lots of stairs
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
      Cleanliness

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

Needed some fairly last minute, value for money accommodation for a business trip in London. Everything close to the City was incredibly expensive with only 2 days to go until trip, but via Booking.com found this place at £105 per night. Described as suites, with kitchen facilities, room safe etc, it was in fact a studio room and not very impressive. Bed was ok, kitchen facilities were very dated, didn't particularly look clean, bathroom ok, room safe was broken. As other reviewers have described it was hard to find at first, and the stairway up to the rooms is a bit steep and dingy. For £105 per night I would expect better, it was certainly not in the same league regarding comfort etc as say an Ibis, but last minute couldn't get a sniff of such places for less than £150 per night. A colleague even paid £180 per night for a Premier Inn- I didn't know they had such high prices!!

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Cardiff, South Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013 via mobile

The first problem you encounter is finding where to check in. The check in office is at No 274 West End Lane and I know it looks like the office of an Estate Agent. Go past Dominos and Nandos but if you reach the Japanese restaurant you have gone too far. I passed it 3 times before I realised
The accommodation was across the road next to the pub which was a first for me
Slightly disconcerting to see all the fault lights flashing on the fire alarm at the bottom of the stairs but I climbed the staircase to my room not really sure what to expect

The room was surprisingly spacious with a good sized bathroom and a kitchenette hidden in the cupboard. Overlooking the main road it was noisy but not excessively

The major down point of the stay was the bed - it creaked and groaned ever time I moved which was highly annoying for me but I felt for the person staying next door as they must have got no sleep at all

As a place to stay to visit London it is worth a look and it offers good value. Would I stay again - probably, provided I did not get the same bed

• Stayed April 2013
auckland new zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

We stayed at 274 Suites in West Hampstead for 16 nights from 16th Dec until we left on 1st Dec. It is not luxurious and is a studio flat and small but is clean and comfortable and value for the money we paid which was 80 Pds per night. Its location was ideal for us as our son and hisgirlfriend whom we came across for to see him graduate with his Masters and to spend Christmas with live one tube stop away in Frognal - Finchley Rd tube stop.
We had room 11 which is at the front and accessible from the front office of Hampstead Suites on West End Lane. This room was very quiet and had all the amenities that you need, i.e. microwave, cooker and fridge. The only problem we had was with the TV for which the remote did not work properly and will need to be replaced. However we did not come to watch TV so was not a bother.
The location is superb and West Hampstead Tube station and overground station at Thames Link are only a few minutes walk away. The big plus is that West Hampstead tube station is connected to the Jubilee line which takes you into Central London as well as to Shepherds Bush wehere there is a big Westfield Shopping Mall as well as a Jamie Olivers Olivers Italian restaurant which we enjoyed and recommend. There is a huge range of shops on West End Lane including a number and variety of restaurants and also a couple of English pubs to go to which we enjoyed.
As we were out most of the time we stayed at the studio flat we cannot say whether the size of the flat would become too claustophobic but certainly we were more than happy with what we had paid for and the staff at reception were pleasant as well. Would stay here again and would recommmend.

Room Tip: Room 11 accessible from reception off West End Rd is very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

The room was OK, clean and of good size but as I was at the front of the Suites on the road, it was very noisy with traffic and passerbys. The windows did not not keep the noise out. It is also difficult to find.

Room Tip: Do not go for a room on the street.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank andersongs111
Heidelberg, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

The price is a decent deal for London. The location is fantastic, near lots of cafes and shops and the Tube. It's hard to find because it looks like a real estate office, not a hotel. We arrived around 11pm and the office was still open locked, but the door to the rooms themselves was unlocked to the street. Can't the guests be kept as safe as the staff? We had to pay up front.

The room is small but this was expected. It was nice to have the extra sink in the kitchenette and the shower had great water pressure. The wifi connection was among the best I've ever had in a hotel. Otherwise, they really need to start over with a new housekeeping staff. There was plastic melted on one of the stove burners, the furniture was covered with all manner of mysterious stains as was the windowshade (how do you even get the windowshade that dirty?!) and when we checked for bedbugs we found crumbs on the mattress. That night we both dreamed about bugs, so the state of the room did have some psychological effect I guess!

I can't really say whether I'd stay there again. As I mentioned, the location and wifi were really great and the price was nice for London. It's a particularly good location for me as I was visiting friends nearby. There was so much soap and shampoo in the bathroom it actually gave us a laugh. However, it really needs to be cleaned up - cleanliness is #1 when it comes to staying in a strange bed and room! When there are stains all over the bedside table you start to wonder what else has been let go...

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple