“Very small and damp”

Ranked #115 of 843 Specialty Lodging in London
Salisbury, United Kingdom
“Very small and damp”
Reviewed August 11, 2012

We had two separate rooms whilst staying at the hotel, the first was a standard room with no window, this was a decent size and clean. For the second and third nights we had booked a standard room with window. This was much smaller and in the basement with a window that opened into a store room. It was very damp and smelt horrible.

I asked to change rooms but was told there were none available. This seemed strange as there were still rooms available on the Easy Hotel website. After looking at the pictures posted on Trip Advisor It appears that this room is normally sold as a small room not standard. I feel I have been ripped off, particularly as we paid a premium for staying during the Olympics. I would never consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Ask not to be in the basement rooms.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AbzM M
AbidaA_12, Social Media Coordinator at easyHotel Paddington London, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you taking out time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

We apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay. May I humbly inform you for your information that we have many rooms with windows upstairs which are all subject to availability. Room allocation is done at the time of check-in, we would have been more than happy to assign a room there but as mentioned above all is subject to availability.
We are thankful to you for bringing this issue in to our notice. Once again, we highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in providing improved services.

I hope you'll consider us again whenever you are around and we'll be more than happy to have you as our guest some times in future.
Abida

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Northumbria
Reviewed August 11, 2012

The EasyHotel website write was acurate so the hotel was as expected. The room was basically a bright orange affair with the bed taking up virtually all the floor space. Added to that a small on-suite.

Hugely in its favour is that the bed was very comfortable, the aircon was very good, and the shower pressure etc was rather good. The hotel is in a really nice area - never stopped in Paddington before and we were pleasantly surprised by it, a couple of nice pubs and some good eateries - plus if you are keeping the pennies under control then the nearby Tesco Extra is useful.

The orange, basement room was perfectly fine as a one night stop-over (which it's probably aimed as) but I wouldn't like to stop in it much longer.

I've stopped in a few London hotels which have been dirty expensive doss houses. I quite like this concept as it isn't a rip off and you get a good level of (friendly) desk service and a clean stay.

Just one downer - £15 for the TV remote... come on now....

Room Tip: Take your own remote control... or go out and enjoy the local pubs like we did.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
AbidaA_12, at easyHotel Paddington London, responded to this review, August 31, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time to write a review on TripAdvisor.
Furthermore we are really grateful for your kind words and appreciating our efforts.
Regarding the TV-remote, we do offer complimentary services for our Facebook fans via Facebook page, “Easy Hotel Paddington”.
Thank you for staying with us and we hope to serve you again.
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I knew what to expect of my Easy Hotel - I'd read the website details and many reviews and therefore wasn't at all shocked to fine a minimal room with no luxuries, no extras, no unneeded additions. This was just what I needed for a one night stay in London and for £49 on a Saturday night in the summer, for 2 people in a twin room, it was an absolute steal. It could have been even more of a steal but I chose to pay extra for a window (without my room would have been just £34!) but it was one of those rare warm days we've had lately.
I think this is a great business model - you pay a base price and you buy whatever else you need, if you really need it. (TV / Cleaning / Extra Linen/ Luggage Storage).
It was very clean on arrival (wipe clean, hospital style floors and fresh linen) and the staff were just lovely.
I will definitely use these hotels again.
The only thing that could make it better would be a surface or two in the rooms to put things on (other than the floor). A shelf maybe - for drinks / make up bag etc. That's all.
My advice - read up before you book, know what you're buying, then you won't be disappointed! Simples! :)

Room Tip: Go for a windowed room if you can and if you can twin up do - you get more floor space. Room 1.01 is...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Mikala T
Dear guest,

We appreciate you taking out time to write a detailed review on TripAdvisor.

Wow four stars!! Thank you for making our day. Your comments and kind words mean a lot to us as only through our guest’s feedback we can further improve our service and continue to do our best.

We apologize for the inconveniences caused during your stay and thank you once again for recommending us on TripAdvisor.

We hope to serve you again in near future and this time we promise you will not regret anything.
Hitchin, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 22, 2012

I was wary of staying in an Easyhotel after years of hearing about claustrophobic, horribly orange rooms! So it was with some nerves that I booked one last week. Why book? In short, because the room was 30 pounds, which in London buys you nothing much at all, so it would surely do the job.
There's no lift, so after checking in it was up 4 short flights of narrow stairs to get to my room. The room itself is simple and smallish, but let's face it, you know what you're getting here: Basic bed, duvet, 2 pillows, 2 towels, a small shower and toilet room, nothing else in terms of fixtures and fittings save for 2 coat hooks.
Noise was a minor issue as the doors and walls are fairly thin, so bring earplugs if you want a good sleep.
For £30 I can't find fault, Easyhotel was clean enough and comfortable enough and if budget is the overriding factor I recommend it.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank CanucksTraveller72
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time to post a review on TripAdvisor.

Well, there you go you did not have a very bad time at all!! We appreciate your compliments regarding the cleanliness and the reasonable price for a hotel in central London. We are glad you found our rooms spotless and comfortable. We apologize for the inconveniences caused during your stay.
We hope you’ll choose to stay with us again in near future. I assure you that my staff will do their best to make your stay smooth and memorable.

Dorridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stopped in this hotel earlier this week, I booked via the website which is very honest about the size of the rooms and the facilities available.
The room has a bed, and a small en suite... and that's all, but then again if you only need somewhere to crash that's all you need.
The only problem I found is that every time someone moved in the room above it sounded like a hippo was bouncing on the ceiling!!! This went on until 1am and started again at 7am.
But overall for £40 in Central London you cant really moan, its clean and its some where to sleep.
I would recommend if your strapped for cash and not going to spend and time in the hotel and just need a bed for the night. If your stopping longer than a night and are looking for somewhere to chill out after a days sightseeing then really don't bother its not for you.

Room Tip: Pick a room with window!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank jdogg76
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out time to write a review and recommending us on TripAdvisor.
We are glad your stay was overall smooth. We apologize regarding the noise at night. I would like to assure you that the staff would have tried their best to solve the problem you faced. Our staff members are always available for your service in order to make your stay memorable.

Once again, We apologize for any inconvenience caused.
Minnesota
Reviewed July 18, 2012

This place was alot better than I expected. I was close to the front desk which I liked, only drawback is the door that goes to the rooms kept slamming in the early AM. Cant figure out why they dont fix that. I find it hard to believe that noone else has complained about it. Otherwise It was perfect for me, and it was nice and clean. I had the smallest room with no window,Im usually claustophobic but had no problems here. I think it might be a little tough for 2 people in that small of a room esp. with luggage but easy for 1 person. Plenty of hot water,clean bedding and a nice front desk staff. I saved alot of money by staying here and it was absolutely worth it! Location is GREAT. Everything you need grocery,restaurants and Underground are right there

Room Tip: Bring hangers so you can hand more clothes on the hanging hooks....glad I did!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank MinnesotaME
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on TripAdvisor.
Wow 4 stars? That is great, you’ve made our day!! We are glad to know that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. Thank you for appreciating all the services we provide in the hotel. Your feedback is very important to us as it helps us to know where we stand. I readily agree with you that we have a dedicated friendly team whose continuous efforts make it possible for our dear guests to have a comfortable and memorable stay.
The location is indeed a bonus as it makes it convenient for anyone visiting us travel in and out of London in less time.
However; I apologise for the inconveniences caused during your stay. My Team and I hope to have the pleasure of serving you once again in future.
Reviewed July 18, 2012

close to Paddington station, convenient location to metro and rail. Room is small but fair enough, clean and decent.

• Stayed June 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking out the time to post a review on your recent stay with us.
We are pleased to know that you are happy with your stay and found the location good. It gives us great pleasure to know that you found the rooms clean, decent and comfortable.

Thank you again for recommending us on TripAdvisor and we hope you’ll give us the opportunity to serve you again in future.