“DO NOT BOOK THIS PROPERTY.”

Draycotts of Chelsea
Ranked #583 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
Auckland
“DO NOT BOOK THIS PROPERTY.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

Our client went to check in and the apartment was double booked so our client had to find something else. The credit card has been charged and we have tried calling and emailing and no reponse. These poeple need to be put out of business.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank TravelAgent110

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2013

I agree with Roamereo's review. I booked for one night , Saturday 24th August, for my daughters. When we arrived ,there was a mobile to call, when we called they were told there was no booking. even though they had taken full payment from my card on the Friday. My daughter was called a little later and was told they needed to leave cash for the room on the hall table. They refused as any one could pick it up, they did not know payment has been taken from my card. A guy then rang to say he would come to the apartment at 10 the following morning to collect the cash.
The sofa bed was filthy. Water came through the ceiling all night. There was a towel under the sink to collect dripping water. The shower did not work. They planned to bring this up with the guy in the morning, but surprise surprise he did not turn up. I have changed my card details as I do not like the idea that they have them. I am also taking this up with Booking.com as they need to lose these apartments.

2 Thank Julie B

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2013

Draycotts of Chelsea is a scam. Stay here at the risk of having your holiday turned into a nightmare. It happened to me and it can happen to you. I paid for 8 nights and stayed for one. If I haven’t written a review earlier, it was because there were so many horrors that I didn’t even know where to start. I’ve decided to begin by including one of the 3 emails I sent to the non-existent hotel management. I never received a reply to any of my emails and when I tried to call the listed number, no one picked up the phone or returned my call.

My first email was on the night of my arrival on 24 August, 2013. Unfortunately, the bold and italic font has been lost when this message was uploaded:

“I wish to cancel my reservation no. GK4824 and I demand a full refund of the money I have paid upon booking. My reasons are listed below (in bold and italics) and the shortcomings of your hotel are in real time because as I write, I am here in your hotel for the first booking I made for 7 nights (GK4689) and I am absolutely disgusted by the condition of your hotel.

I am in Apartment No.7 which is supposed to be air conditioned but the air conditioning does not work. The chamber maid who opened the door to us when we arrived at 2 pm told us that it has not been working for a few weeks and yet you did not bother to fix it knowing very well you sold me a room with air conditioning. I called your Guest Relations representative, a Mr. Kaz Lakhani and he said he would inform maintenance but since it's a Saturday, nothing can be done until Monday (or maybe Tuesday since Monday is a bank holiday). I told him that that was unacceptable because you sold me a room with air conditioning which was one of the reasons I chose your hotel in the first place and his reply was that he couldn't do anything about it and if I was not happy, I could choose not to check in and he was sure that the hotel would refund my money. Did he expect me to go from hotel to hotel hunting for room for 5 with all our heavy luggage? He also said that the weather really wasn't that warm and we could do without air conditioning as if it has anything with the fact that you knowingly sold me a room without working air conditioning when you clearly advertise on your website that all rooms come with air conditioning. As far as I am concerned, that is fraudulent advertising.

I asked to speak to a manager but he said that I could only write to the hotel via email. There was no one to call and your 24 hour reception does not exist as advertised on your website. There's nobody at the desk or answering the phone. He added that he was only an agent and has nothing to do with what is promised when you accepted the reservation. Basically, there's nobody to call and nothing anyone can or will do about it.

Eventually the maid who was standing there all the time while I angrily spoke with Mr. Lakhani, informed me that the air conditioner could work but we couldn't leave it on all day or water would spill out. I decided to give it a try since we couldn't possibly lug our heavy bags all over London looking for a room. We went out for lunch and came back after a couple of hours and switched on the air conditioner but after about an hour, it started spitting out water far enough to wet my daughter's bed a foot away. So now we have no air conditioning.

Then the second nightmare came when we wanted to take our showers. Should I send you the pictures because I have them? The tiled bathroom wall is all cracked up and the lower third is covered with a plastic sheet to probably conceal a hole. The overhead shower does not work and when we turn on the water for the handheld shower, the whole piece of whatever that thing is called that holds the tap turned with it. I half worry that the wall will collapse on us seeing that there are cracks all over and the tiles are buckling at the seams.

I may not have yet discovered other problems since we've only been here a few hours, but we just saw a cockroach crawling on my daughter's bed. There also appears to be no housekeeper on duty because I tried to buzz him/her to change my daughter's bed covers which were rendered wet by the air conditioner.

I am going though with my 7-day reservation because it's just too late for me to find something else but I will never return and I demand that you refund the full amount of the deposit of £149. If you refuse I will look into taking this complaint further and I have every intention of telling my story to other unsuspecting potential guests.

How dare you call yourself a 5-star luxury hotel (correction: they called themselves luxury but did not mention 5 star)? For £149 (correction: it was £180 a night for the Family Room and £149 a night for the single that I was cancelling), I never expected great things but this is a long way off from what you claim to be.”

In the 24 hours I was there, I discovered these other blatant lies on the hotel’s At-A Glance list and elsewhere on its website:

1. Draycotts deceptively omitted to mention that the hotel does not have a receptionist. Hotels are in the business of receiving guests and a receptionist is a given for at least some part of the day. There was none when we arrived or at anytime throughout the 24 hours I was there. Had we arrived a couple of hours later, we would have likely been locked out. I discovered later that this actually happened to other guests. The 24-hour CCTV that I mistook for 24-hour reception, I never saw it.
2. There was no one at the receiving end of “Contact Us”. It is a blackhole. No one but a machine answered the phone and no one returned my calls even though I left messages. Same thing with the email.
3. The towels were age-worn and course, nothing like the luxury ones they promised.
4. There was no Welcome Pack and I later read that some guests had paid for transfers that didn’t show up and a welcome bottle of wine and chocolates that never came.
5. No extra towels. I couldn’t even get an extra bottle of shower gel because there was no one anywhere in the hotel to call. The maid disappeared right after we went out for lunch and although she said I could call her from the phone at the entrance, no one answered. We were given only 2 tiny (sample size) bottles of shower gel for 5 people that was supposed to last us the entire weekend until the maid was due to show up on Monday, if ever.
6. No bathrobes or slippers.
7. No free newspaper
8. No usable personal safe to talk about unless you count the one in the room big enough for a wallet.
9. Elegant living, luxury shower suite? In a bathroom with broken walls covered with a plastic sheet held together with cellophane tape? And don’t forget the shower head that swings with the turning of the tap. Check out my photos.

As it turned out, I couldn’t stay beyond one night. The room was stuffy and the noise from upstairs made it impossible for us to sleep. By morning, the handles fell off the patio doors and the lock on the bathroom door wouldn’t budge. The beds and pillows were uncomfortable and the linen covers were scratchy. To stop the nightmare, we packed up, left the keys together with a note on the dining table and moved out.

As expected, no one called to ask about our abrupt departure or the cancellation of the second booking. 10 days later, I did eventually get one phone call from Draycotts on 3 September, 2013. From the badly spoken English, I figured that it was the same Guest Relation guy, Lakhani. He actually asked me if I was checking in that day as if nothing had happened and all the emails and phone calls I made to Draycotts had somehow evaporated. He even had the nerve to accuse me of not giving them the chance to rectify the problems in the room like it was perfectly all right for the hotel to knowingly give us a malfunctioning room with broken walls and fixtures and we were supposed to accept our lot and wait, not for minutes or hours but probably forever. These problems existed way before we showed up and I have no doubt the cellophane taped wall, swinging shower head and the spitting air conditioner that sounds like a stream will remain long after our departure.

After our disastrous experience, I was left puzzled at how different the hotel turned out from the good reviews on Trip Advisor, but I soon found out that I had read the reviews for the Draycott Hotel and mistook it for the Draycotts of Chelsea.

I’ve seen a couple of decent reviews and a load of really bad ones, many with stories that made me feel like we got lucky. These invisible people running the hotel have been getting away with outright lies. The only thing true about all those wonderful reasons why you should stay at the Draycotts of Chelsea is the location.

Anyone has some advice on how we can make an official complaint to put a stop to this fraud?

1 Thank roamereo
San Francisco, California, United States
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2013

Firstly, let me just say that my family of 5 and I got the good end of the stick, considering all the poor guests that had far worse experiences than we got. As soon as we arrived, we were shown around by the maid, who told us our room was in the basement. It didn't help that we booked this place because of this claim:

"Draycotts of Chelsea™ offer an outstanding selection of luxurious interior-designed fully-serviced air-conditioned studios, one and two bedroom apartments, each with private facilities."

We were told that the air conditioner didn't work. They knew we were checking into this room, why wasn't the air conditioner fixed at all? It was apparent that it had been broken for a few weeks. We asked to speak to a manager and the maid handed us the number. We told him it was fraudulent advertising. His only response was to state that the room had an air-cond even if it wasn't working and that he wasn't of any authority and couldn't do anything about it (we highly suspect he was lying and that he was in charge, since he was the first person she thought of calling). Since we didn't have a choice, we decided to stay there for at least one of our 6 nights in London.

When were finally left alone to settle in, what seemed like a sleek apartment soon proved to be completely uninhabitable. The missing bathroom wall tiles were covered with cellotape, newspaper, and clingfilm, and the ceiling looks as if it's about to cave in on you. Also, the so-called spare beds the maid put together for us were two ottomans lumped together with a bedsheet laid out like a table cloth(NOT FITTED) on top: in other words, extremely unstable and uncomfortable. My sister noticed there was a cockroach on her bed, which we had to kill ourselves. At night, the lack of air-conditioning and noise proved to be too much for the 5 of us, and so we hightailed it out of this wreck. let me list some more examples of fraudulent advertising:

1) "Daily Maid Service is available Monday through Saturday." It's every other day according to the maid, but it's really every two days.
2) "generous welcome packs and goodies" Nil. Zilch. Zero.
3) "All apartments at Draycotts of Chelsea™ are air-conditioned throughout" I complained about this already... BUT STILL.
4) "Enjoy your complimentary newspaper and get the news right to your door every morning." Nope.
5) "If you need certain necessities when you arrive, or while enjoying the sights, take advantage of our Grocery Delivery Service." and "Let us arrange for a professional driver to collect you from the airport & take you directly to your London address." DON'T EVEN BOTHER. LITERALLY NO ONE WILL HELP YOU. SERVICE DOES NOT EXIST AT DRAYCOTT'S.

Just stay far, far, far, far, away from Draycott's.

1 Thank Lisa W
Houston, Texas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

We read the negative comments and took a chance. My family of 5 stayed the first week of July-2013 at the location and really had no issues. Do not expect someone there to great you when you come in everyday. Call ahead of time (about an hour before you expect to arrive) and they will meet you with the keys. After that, the daily room service is all you get. The A/C is powered off, but we didn't really need it. Its only a 5 min walk to Sloan square so the tube is close. A market is right around the corner, so getting food is easy too. This place was clean and the pictures online were accurate. Beds were hard. That's the only reason this isn't getting a higher mark. There is construction going on right now next door to this place. If you are wanting to sleep in, don't go here just yet. We let the noise be our alarm clock so it wasn't a big deal for my family. The workers were done for the day when we got back from sightseeing, so the evenings were not bothered by this. Hope this helps

Room Tip: Chelsea is up scale. If you eat out there, be prepared to pay
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

We stayed in this service apartment (this is not a hotel and thus, please don't expect hotel services) from 7th to 13th June 2013. I would regard my overall experience to be above average because I knew what I was in for.

My family (2 adults and 2 children) chosed this location because it was close to the tube station, food locations and shopping. It was away from the busy London and it had a quiet environment.

We only saw the caretaker on our first day. Hence, if we needed anything (e.g. request for change or more towels) for our room, we would leave a note on his desk in the morning. And by the time we got back to our room in the evening, our requests were answered (my guess was the caretaker only came in the afternoon).

Overall, this is not a bad place to stay. However, you would need to manage your expectations.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

After reading the reviews, I was apprehensive about staying at draycotts, but I was pleasantly surprised. We had contacted the hotel the day before via their payment company, and the hotel rang us on our arrival day as we were running late and gave us directions to the hotel over the phone. There was a polite cleaner waiting when we arrived who showed us our room, which was great value for money with everything we could've needed. It wasn't 100% spotless, but for an overnight stay it did us perfectly. The location was near the shops, restaurants and within walking distance of the tube station. However, due to its location it wasn't easy to get a decent nights sleep, as it was on a very busy road.

• Stayed July 2013