“poor management, no internet access, the place is falling apart”

Draycotts of Chelsea
Ranked #583 of 837 Specialty Lodging in London
Kiev, Ukraine
“poor management, no internet access, the place is falling apart”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2011

I have stayed at Draycotts for 4 nights (December 1, 2011 to December 5, 2011). The location is amazing and the room was clean, however, there was no internet access for my whole stay. The place is falling apart! Our air conditioner was so loud and dripping (we almost got flooded and had to put a glass under it, see pictures). Additionally, one night it was really windy and the window kept hammering so loudly that we could not possibly sleep. I had to put an extra pillow case to fix it (see picture). The place is not a serviced apartment and there is never anyone at the reception. House keeping stuff are very nice, but they cannot help with any technical problems. Definitely, avoid this place.

Room Tip: Do not take Room #5 - its on the top, no elevator, no internet access, very noisy at night, air cond...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
3 Thank Anastasia Z

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Zurich, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

I booked an apartment at Draycott's of Chelsea on the basis of the great location and services supposedly supplied. Throughout the stay (I checked out after 3 days and moved into a hotel at substantial extra cost to myself) there was no WIFI access, even though the site states the following: "Unlimited Hi-Speed Broadband Internet is provided free in each apartment so you are fully equipped to set up your own virtual office."
Despite emailing them (I had to sit on the floor of the ground level) I received no response and had to resort to phoning them every couple of hours for an update to find out whether nor not the internet issue had been resolved. The Maintenance person advised me to go to Starbucks everyday and claim back on the internet access costs. When they eventually had the courtesy to respond to my email, after I had requested a refund, the tone was incredibly abusive and accused me of lying about the fact that there was no internet access and that I was trying to get free accommodation! They did not even have the courage to sign their name at the end of the mail. The House Keeping staff are very friendly and try to be helpful, but are unable to assist with any of these issues as the Management do not deem them serious enough to warrant any attention. Maybe they should read their clients reviews.... I would advise booking elsewhere

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
4 Thank laurence2011

Travelers are raving about these London hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 29, 2011

I booked this so called boutique apartment for a family birthday celebration only to be disappointed at every turn. The place is dirty, including the bedding for the sofa beds, not equipped properly, we booked for 4 people but there were only 2 glasses in the cupboard. They are not serviced although we were never told this until we arrived back late to no tea or coffee or beds made, no loo roll and bins overflowing. The noise from the upstairs apartment was unbearable one night and there is no night staff to help sort this out.

The staff are uncontactable and don't return your calls. I've made a complaint by email,only to have to call myself after several days of no response to have the phone put down on me by a very rude member of their staff, they just insist the place is clean and there was no problems! Do not book you will be very disappointed.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
3 Thank Caroline A
Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2011

Just returned from a week at Draycotts. The location could not be better, walking distance to grocery, deli, tube, restaurants and shopping. The maid staff is very nice and does a nice job. But the place is falling apart! There was broken furniture in the hallway, lights burnt out 'due to an electrical problem', our shades would not raise, we had burnt out lights in the bathroom, the freezer door literally came off in my hand. The door handles kept breaking, I literally got locked in the bathroom, when I pulled off the handle trying to get out. We emailed a complaint while we were there, but were told by the manager that they are waiting for a contractor to come fix things. Apparently the place is under new management. Definitely not what we expected for the price. There are many other hotels in the surrounding blocks to pick from. We were disappointed, but tried to make the best of it. Also, upstairs where we were, there is useless internet services, one bar maybe. As we needed to attend to work, having internet service was critical. Make note, room 4 and 5 have no service. That should be disclosed upon booking. We also complained about the cleaning on check in. We had the prior tenants groceries left in the cabinet and fridge. and the garbage had not been taken out. The cleaning was good after we complained.

Room Tip: Room 7 is truely in the basement, our friends stayed there and had a similar experience with the mai...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank bobanet
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 9, 2011

We arrived at 9pm on Friday night. Nobody was there to greet us. Instead we were given a code to access the keys to the apartment. We were only provided with 1 set for 3 of us.

We had booked for 3 adults. We booked in July and the full amount of money was taken from my account without my permission at the booking stage which I was angry about.

The booking had advertised the room as sleeping three adults. We were disappointed to see a small queen sized bed and a zbed. When we tried to put up the sofa bed, it was broken. I phoned three different numbers and left messages asking for urgent assistance and nobody has yet returned my calls. I have had to sleep on a tiny sofa for the weekend. Despite having booked and paid for 3 adults the 3rd bed was not made up. We were expected to do this ourselves. Pretty angry at the lack of concern and lack of customer service.

This is our third night here. We've had no room service. The bin is overflowing, the towels are beginning to smell, we are running out of loo roll and we've had to make our own beds each day.

We're due to check out tomorrow and as I am yet to even see a member of staff, I have no idea when we have to be out by or where to leave our keys.

Oh and we've run out of tea and coffee making stuff and although breakfast was provided on the first day it's not been replaced.

Absolutely disgusted at the service we have received here. And wish we'd booked 2 rooms at a travel lodge rather than paying £550 to sleep uncomfortably on a small sofa.

Location is great but that's the only positive thing to say.

As the expression goes, if something looks too good to be true, it probably is too good to be true....

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Morven G
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2011

Superb apartment for4 of us. Very slick fit out. There were a few minor annoyances with things not working properly but overall very happy and surpassed other London apartment style accommodation experiences. Cleaning staff were particularly helpful and greeted us cheerily every day and nothing was too much trouble for them. Would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: downstairs apartment good for families and minimal steps to manage with luggage
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 15, 2011

We stayed in the Draycotts of Chelsea apts. with our two kids in July and then again in August. It's a great place to stay if you're an independent traveler and don't need the usual services provided by a hotel. The tube station was super convenient, it's in a chic, trendy section of London. The Hourglass pub a few blocks away is terrific. Our only unpleasant surprises were the stairs (we were on the top floor so had to climb six flights with heavy bags), and the wi-fi didn't connect for us, no matter how hard we tried. The cleaning staff on-site is nice but not very helpful, and calls to the phone number listed on the website were never returned.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family