“Beautiful hotel!”

Ranked #242 of 1,069 Hotels in London
notts
“Beautiful hotel!”
Reviewed July 18, 2010

We have just returned from our second stay at No Ten, both times one night stays in London in order to go and see a show. The first time I booked via lastminute for the weekend before Christmas, and got a great value deal as the hotel hadnt been open long. We enjoyed it so much we arranged to stay there again and this time booked direct via their website. Both times we stayed in their standard doubles, which are definitely cosy (had a slightly bigger room this time due it having a bay window) but more than big enough if you're not spending a lot of time in the room, and just want some luxury to come back to at night!

Both times we found the staff polite and friendly, and the decor and standard of the rooms is superb - clean, airy, decorated to a high quality with plush soft furnishings. Breakfast isnt included but is a very high quality, we had eggs and omelete with toast, very tasty, and the freshly squeezed orange jucie was great. The general service and quality of the restaurant was lovely. We havent had chance to sit out on the cigar terrace, but as non-smokers we have never yet noticed even a whiff of cigar or cigarette smoke anywhere in the place. Location - tonnes of restaurants and cafes just round the corner, tube very conveniently close, hotel lovely and quiet both times we stayed.

I couldnt recommend this place highly enough, and am dying to come back and stay in one of their junior suites with a terrace! It definitely is at the higher end of what we can really afford for a hotel, but well worth it for the extra luxury and fab location!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
StefanoLodi, General Manager at No. Ten Manchester Street, responded to this review, July 25, 2010
Dear Guest,

thank you for spending some tie writing a review about your stay at Ten Manchester Street Hotel.
I am glad that you enjoyed it and I look forward in welcoming you back in the near future. On your review you mentioned about booking a Junior suite with a balcony. I would like to clarify that we have Deluxe rooms with a balcony on the lower ground of the hotel. Our Junior suites don't have balcony I am afraid. I hope this helps when you will call us to make a reservation for a room.

In the meantime, I send you my warmest regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
Manchester
Reviewed July 12, 2010

I recently booked a room at this hotel on booking.com. I had prepaid for the room, and understood that if I was to cancel or not turn up, I would not have been entitled to a refund and would have lost all of the money.
I got a voicemail from the hotel on the Friday (when I was due to arrive on the Saturday) to inform me that the hotel was fully booked, booking.com should not have advertised the room, and that they had also charged the wrong rate. The man on the phone then went on to inform me that my money had been refunded, and they would not be providing me with alternative accomodation.
Aside from the obvious organisational issues at this hotel, I was absolutely stunned to be told that I would not be placed elsewhere and unfortunately, it was tough luck. I thought that the least they could have done is just find me another room in a similar style of hotel. As long as it was near a tube, I would have been happy enough. Instead, the hotel and booking.com got into a blame game, claiming the other party was at fault. I explained I didn't really care who was at fault, but I had a busy afternoon in work, and had plans that evening, so didn't really have the time to begin my search from scratch, as per the helpful advice from booking.com.
In the end I cancelled plans with my friends for the evening and stayed home to begin my search again. I booked a room through lastminute.com. When I arrived at this hotel on the Saturday, I was also told that this hotel was fully booked. My heart sank, until the friendly man on reception informed me I would be placed in the superior hotel over the road, and would have a room upgrade, free of charge by way of an apology. The contrast in service was staggering.
I understand that now and again, mistakes may happen with bookings. But when the client is not at fault, and has even paid upfront for the room, I just find it really poor service to be left with no alternative at such short notice.
If you book this hotel online, you may wish to call up to confirm your booking, as they clearly do not check their online bookings regularly enough. If you have a long distance to travel, you may find yourself arriving in London with no where to stay, and this hotel certainly won't help you find a replacement.

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Baxter052
Dear Guest,

thank you for your comment about your experience while making a booking at Ten Manchester street hotel. I would like to apologise for the inconvenience caused. This is not something that we are accustomed in happening and I won't bore you with technical explanations on whos fault was it etc..
Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconvenience caused and I hope you will give us another opportunity of showing you we are worth of your patronage. Pleas contact me personally and I will make sure you will remember Ten Manchester Street Hotel for the right reasons.

Yours sincerely,

Stefano Lodi
Carmarthen, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 7, 2010

Stayed midweek , rooms good but but bedroom & bathroom very small. Great curtains that keep the light out but the bathroom doors are glass so the room is very light , very early in July! Turndown service that was offered at check in didn't happen and beware the small print on the registration form that asks you pay another 3 or 4% on top of the room rate for " housekeeping and conceirge services " which is automatically added to your bill unless you ask for it to be removed. It was the first time that I'd ever seen a charge like that and on the basis that we didn't get the housekeeping services that were offered I didn't pay it . Great location though and the staff are good if a little overwhelmed.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank ChrissiePaulo
Galway, Ireland
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Thanks to a tip from an earlier reviewer, we booked a superior double room, so were non-plussed to be allocated what would be barely rated as a single. The receptionist insisted that this was the room we had booked, and there were no other rooms. After protesting that this was not what we booked, we were eventually shown two rooms consistent with the description on the website - and they were very nice.

The hotel had made a mistake and allocated us the wrong room. They did however have the grace to grant us a late check-out.

The Concierge was the only member of staff who really seemed to get what customer service means - he was charming and apologetic, even though it was not he who was at fault.

This is a very attractive hotel, in a great location - but the reception staff need to be a lot friendlier, a lot faster, allocate the right room and apologise when they get it wrong.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
London/Singapore
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Originally booked the hotel as it looked like a great little boutique hotel, with the option to go in a Junior Suit (giving myself and partner more space). We've been in and out of hotels in London for the past 3 weeks, so we're looking forward to staying in a more comfortable larger room. On the day of check in I got a call at 4pm telling me that they have extended the stay of another guest so we can no longer have the room requested. Great. So they put us in a tiny little room (which is exactly what we didn't want). Tried to find another hotel, but everything was fully booked. We received no compensation or discount. On arrival staff were rude and uptight, there was no help with luggage. On the next evening we went to the terrace for a drink where once again staff were rude and uptight. We we're abruptly removed from the terrace at 11pm with no prior warning and drinks still to finish (we we're the only one's out there!). When going back to our room we we're stopped by a member of staff claiming they need pre-authorisation on our card making us feel like we had done something wrong, after 15 minutes of waiting around, we were ALLOWED to retire to our room. It's now 11:25pm.
Overall a lovely little hotel, but the whole point of a boutique hotel is that it's a home from home. Friendly, laid back, personable staff with a relaxed and welcoming attitude. This we did not receive at Ten Manchester Street. Such a shame.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
StefanoLodi, Manager at No. Ten Manchester Street, responded to this review, July 25, 2010
Dear Guest,

Thank you for wrinting your comment about your stay at Ten Manchester Street Hotel.
I apologise for the inconveniences you enacountered while staying here and I hope that this isolated incident won't deter you from using the hotel in the near future.

I would like to confirm to you that you indeed have been given a discount on the room rate. As you mentioned, because of guest extending his stay we didn't have a Junior suite available. We have offered you a Deluxe, which is the next category under at a lower price compared to the one you were paying for the Junioe suite.
In regards of your comments on the cigar luounge, unfortuinately we are obliged by the law to close that area no later than 11pm in the evening. I would like to apologise on behalf of the restaurant staff if you thought they were rude to you. Surely it wasn't their intention.

Yours sincerely,

Stefano Lodi
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed May 30, 2010

Just back from a couple of fantastic nights in No. 10 Manchester Street. Booked the hotel due to the good reviews on tripadvisor & wasn't disappointed. The service was excellent, we received an upgrade on arrival, the hotel was spotlessly clean & our room fantastic. The only negative I would say is that the soundproofing isn't great - we were woken both mornings at 7am by housekeeping out on the corridor outside our room, but that was a minor issue. Location was fantastic also - 5 minute walk to Baker street tube station & less than that to Marleybone high street which is awash with great boutiques & some great restaurants. All in all, a great hotel in an equally great location.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Kent
Reviewed May 30, 2010

We booked a juniot suite at a cost of £229, room was clean and well laid out, although the lack of dressing table and storage space in the bathroom was poor.

Towels were on the small side and a little worn.

The service was rubbish from start to finish, we arrived back at the hotel at 21:30 and made our way to the cigar lounge expecting to be able to order a light bite and few drinks, by the time we got a menu and our drinks order the kitchen was closed and we couldn't order food, the room service menu only offered sandwiches, but we couldn't order this to the lounge. We were charged nearly £10 service on our bill, which was compulsory.

Breakfast was not included in our room rate, but the menu promised a full English breakfast for £18, we ordered this and 45 minutes a plate of cold greasy 'food' arrived, I have never seen such hard poached eggs or runny black pudding, we didn't touch the food, and left the restaurant.

Check - out procedure was carried out by a rude receptionist who took phonecalls and played with bookings on her computer continually delaying our check out, the restaurant manager came out to quiz us about our breakfast, we had sent it back and one look at it would have told him what was wrong with it, I found him and other staff rude and insulting.

We won't be returning or recommending this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple