“Don't stay here - not worth the money”

No Ten Manchester Street
Ranked #270 of 1,078 Hotels in London
Reviewed March 1, 2010

This was supposed to be a nice relaxed Saturday night in London. I specifically chose the place due to the: a) cigar bar and b) the supposed friendly staff. In summary what happened was below.

a) Waited 25 minutes at reception to check in. This wait was attributed to the lay-out of the reception. It must be hard to see somebody over a desk.
b) We received an un-scheduled 0430 alarm call from reception. Suddenly they were keen to talk. They did offer us an apology for this and a free breakfast (see below) though
c) The room smelt of cooked bacon as the room was above the kitchen
d) The cigar bar was closed.
e) The supplies in the room were half empty
f) The phones in the room didn't work (apart from to receive that wonderful 0430 call).
g) The free breakfast was offered to us as we checked out.

All in all a rubbish hotel that seems to think a couple of plasma tvs and some nice toiletries make up for bad service. You are hardly pushed for alternatives in this part of town so spend your money elsewhere.

5  Thank T_P_S_England

Reviewed February 21, 2010

Recently stayed for a Birthday celebration. The hotel offered excellent value for money. The reception staff were very obliging and attentive. We were given a complimentary upgrade which we really appreciated.
The room was compact but very elegant with all the facilities we would expect. The bed was super comfy. Best sleep in a hotel room ever!
Will definately return here on our next visit.
I doubt there are many hotels of this calibre, which offer such great value.

1  Thank ndarling
StefanoLodi, Resident Manager at No Ten Manchester Street, responded to this reviewResponded February 28, 2010

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and for your kind comments. I will make sure I share them with all my members of staff.
I am looking forward in welcoming you back at Ten in the near future.

Reviewed February 21, 2010

Stayed in the Manchester before, booked directly and had a really lovely time, so decided that I would go again, this time taking advantage of lastminute.com's offer, bearing in mind I stayed for two nights and only got the stay for £9 less per night. It appears that when you stay lastminute.com, you are shoved in the basement, we were directly under the reception. We had no tea making facilities, no bathrobes, a broken telephone and the tv system didn't work. At 130 in the morning enough was enough, no sleep banging doors and the reception noise later I couldn't take it, I asked to be moved they offered to move me two rooms along from where i was, not really acceptable nor could I be bothered to pack and move, stayed put and slept with an ipod all night. 7am that morning, the cleaners outside our room shouting and laughing, I wasn't laughing as I still didn't manage to get to sleep until 4am. I was told to pack my bags and they would be moved. I was moved and told because of the hassle you will be upgraded, smashing I thought, mmmmm not really, smaller room, and the upgrade was bascially a kettle so I could make my own tea and coffee, and a bowl of pot pouri, that makes me feel better all for £300 and no sleep!! Ordered breakfast which was lovely and then got the bill for £32, most expensivce dam egg I have ever had!!! I think they can't pick and choose there clients, and I think if I would have had a different accent more would have been done for me, I felt ignored!!

2  Thank pricey1978

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your comments. Weather positive or negative, your feedback ensures we work on improving the service we offer to our guests.
I would like to clarify that we offer the same service (and the same rooms) to guests who make reservations through different channels, weather it is directly with us or through an agency.
I would like of course to apologise for the inconvenience caused and I hope that this isolated incident won't deter you from using Ten's facilities again.

Reviewed February 18, 2010

We recently stayed two nights at No.10. We requested a quiet room on the top floor and this was provided with an upgrade to an executive room. Reception was an extremely good experience; luggage was taken to our room with extreme efficiency. The whole hotel still 'looks brand new' and is extremely stylish.

The restaurant food and breakfasts are too expensive for what they are; the quality should improve or the prices should drop. The service, however, was impeccable.

The cigar bar was (for me) a real treat.

This is a very well run hotel and deserves to do very well. The friendly young staff are clearly all very well trained and seem really proud of the hotel. I shall certainly stay here again and would recommend the hotel to anybody looking for a really nice experience.

17  Thank CIARB

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind comments about my staff. I firmly believe that excellent customer service is the key for the success of an hotel, and I try every day to pass this message to my colleagues. I am very glad to hear that you had a pleasant stay in the hotel and I look forward in welcoming you in the near future.

Reviewed February 12, 2010

Not the first stay at No 10 Manchester Street and certainly not the last!

Opened late last year after a fine refurbishment, new yes but with quality all over it and I expect quality that will last. Attention to detail is apparent from the fixtures to the staff who are some of the best in town.

After a long day it is a pleasure to climb the steps and cross the threshold to be welcomed with polite and pleasant staff that make you feel welcome and are happy to assist in any way. Unique, perhaps not but rare definately.

With excellent food and drink presented with great service this hotel is a really nice escape from the hustle and bustle of London. The icing on the cake is the terrace with four heaters to toast you as you partake in a special nightcap and perhaps a special cigar if it takes your fancy from a fantastic selection.

The rooms are well presented and very comfortable, pristine and self contained with a tempting minibar and room service if you want to stay in and take in a movie on the wall mounted screen, remember to bring your own DVD's if you want to use the in room entertainment centre.

Just off the beaten track but close enough to everything, perfect for the business person or the happy shopper to grab a cab or talk a quick walk.

A home from home with a difference.

1  Thank HarleyStreetSkin

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Ten Manchester Street hotel for your stay in London and for your kind comments about your stay.

At Ten we strive to offer our customers the best possible service and I am very happy to hear that we were able to make your stay a pleasant one.

I am looking forward in welcoming you back to Ten in the near future.

Reviewed February 11, 2010

Relatively small hotel in a quite street nearby the lively shopping area of oxford & regent street. When you step into the hotel you are warmely welcomed by the receptionist (you can only once make a first impression). Room size was normal, clean and convenient with a nice bed. No bath, but that can be an advantage when you prefer showers. Didn't use the restaurant facilities since I prefer to buy my food in the abundant stores (pret-a-manger, selfridge food store, M&S foodstore, Tossed, etc, etc in Baker Street & Orchard Street), so no opinion about this.

As a single business traveller a very pleasant stay in a really good hotel with excellent service. Will get a place on my shortlist.

1  Thank Navy147
Reviewed February 9, 2010

Just spent two nights in this hotel..arrived at the hotel very late and very tired. We were checked into room 101.
The room is in the basement, directly underneath the steps leading to the front door,
and so the noise was dreadfull, could'nt close curtins so no privicy from main street.
The window would'nt close properly..Didnt get any sleep. When it came day light I realised where the room was situated and asked for an alternitive.
Our second night was perfect , still were are disappointed with our experience
I'm sure the staff have to be aware that room 101 is not suitable for their guests,
but if not I hope this brings it to their attention

2  Thank Nora C