“Ok for money!”
Review of Central Hostel

Central Hostel
Ranked #600 of 908 Specialty Lodging in London
Reviewed November 17, 2013 via mobile

It was just a stop off place before we jetted around the world for our gap year! The location & price were its biggest plus points I feel! It was our only hostel experience in the uk ! So nothing to base it on unfortunately! But the staff were helpful! It's an older building but has character ! When we land back on London will probably head back purely because it's cheap & cheerful :)

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Cearlbird

Reviewed September 4, 2013

Got there at 2 gave us a key to a full room where we pissed everyone off soon as we popped the light on. Got it sorted tho. No lockers which was kinda sketchy. It is in a good location and its cheap so I guess you get what u pay for.

• Stayed: October 2012
3  Thank IMM1987
Reviewed September 3, 2013

so, we've booked this hostel without looking at the reviews and everything because it was very cheap. it was less than 40 pounds for three nights in zone 1 in London in the middle of the highest season (August) and we thought it was worth booking it just because it was so cheap.

a few weeks before we went to London I started checking the reviews here, on TripAdvisor and on HostelWorld and after all the reading I was quite terrified in which place I will have to sleep for three nights - I was afraid of unclean sheets, bad toilets, noisy people, practically everything.

we came to London on Thursday evening and quickly found the hostel. the receptionist was very nice, although she wasn't English, her English was okay to understand (not perfect but okay, good enough). we were put in a mixed dorm room with six other people. the beds were okay, although they were really noisy and moving a lot when you climbed up the bunk but they were very decent to sleep in. the sheets were okay and smelled okay but anyways I slept in my sleeping bag. the toilets and showers were clean and we had no problems with queues or anything.

the hostel could've been better but overall it was okay, especially for the amount of money we paid for.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank cup0ftea_a
Reviewed August 16, 2013

I stayed here with three friends for four nights and we were very happy with the hostel. The service is not amazing, nothing is new but it's really inexpensive, so what do people expect? Having stayed at other hostels before, I must say that this is probably the best one I've ever stayed at. It's quite clean, the beds are ok if not fantastic, the staff is relatively helpful and polite, the place feels safe and the rooms are not so congested that you can't move around. This is not the Plaza but if you want a really cheap stay in London at a really great location then this is a very good possibility!
Now, the hostel can be a little hard to find because you have to enter through the basement and they don't have a great big sign but if you know how, it's not a problem. Coming from Bayswater or Queensqay station, go left and turn left again at Moscow Rd, when you get to a Laundrette turn right, you'll find the hostel on the righ-hand side, easy peasy.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank lonestar1988
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Stayed here due to the location and price. Wanted somewhere cheap as wanted to explore London not a room. Opted for a private room for my friend and I and got a four bed room with ensuite and lovely view of the park at the rear of the property. It does what it says on the tin and brilliant for a overnight stay. I would certainly stay again. The gentleman at reception was friendly and imformative as well.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank pcarman861
Reviewed June 13, 2013

The only good thing about this place is the location. To get to reception, you have to go down steep, narrow stairs. Then to get up to your room you have to go up flights and flights of stairs. Inside the hostel it is extremely creepy. I stayed in the private room with 2 single beds, the bedding was disgusting with stains all over it. I had no idea where the bathrooms were. I went down several flights of stairs and finally found one, and the toilet didn't work. I didn't dare try to shower or anything. I slept with the lights on because I was afraid I was going to get attacked. I left as soon as I could the next morning. The staff is rude and not helpful at all. I do not recommend that you stay here.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank cvillegrl123
Reviewed May 2, 2013

The only one good thing I can say about it is location.
Rooms are tiny, messy and with no lockers, shelves or even chairs. Cold water running from the tap.
Breakfast for 1.5Pound consist of cereal, milk, toast bread and margarin.Kitchen smells.
there was terribly cold at reception, kitchen and in the rooms. My advice; don't even try thinking about staying there. It is better to pay 2-3 Pounds more per night and feel more comfortable than putting up with unfriendly guests.

Room Tip: basement room is cold and noisy (near reception)