“Good location, friendly staff”

Novotel London Paddington
Ranked #253 of 1,063 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Norfolk, Virginia
“Good location, friendly staff”
Reviewed February 12, 2014 via mobile

A couple of nights here in between long haul trips. Went for executive room for a bit more comfort. Location is excellent for access to London and the Heathrow Express. Small group of cafés and a Supermarket very close. Room was small but everything worked. Staff efficient and friendly and seemed well trained and motivated. Small gym with plenty of towels and water - busy first thing in the morning. Hotel not cheap but few in London are. Good for travellers.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Graham S
novotelpaddington, General Manager at Novotel London Paddington, responded to this review, February 13, 2014
Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us.
See you on your next trip hopefully!
Douglas Goncalves

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (193)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed February 11, 2014

My hubby and I stayed at this hotel in early February 2014. We were traveling from Wales through London to Seoul. We were arriving from Wales by train so a hotel located near London Paddington station was ideal for us. We were also traveling with a dog so we needed to look for a pet friendly hotel. This hotel was extremely clean and accomodating to our dog. It is situated close to the platforms at Paddington station, so it was a nice and easy walk to the hotel, even with a lot of luggage(2 heavy suitcases, 2 backpacks, a carry on, a crate and a dog between the two of us!)

PROS:
1. Good location
-The hotel is situated near Paddington Central and is easily accessible from the platforms. If you just follow the signs for the Hammersmith & City line, and then follow the signs for Kingdom St and Sheldon Square, you don't even need to cross a road or step into traffic to get to the hotel, as this route will take you across a paved pavilion. This was a major plus for us as we had lots of luggage and a dog, we did not want to be stepping into traffic and heavily congested(with both people or cars!) roads to get to the hotel.

2. Great add on hours option!
Our flight was at 9PM the following day, and if we had checked out at 12PM(the standard checkout time) we would have been stranded for hours with our dog in the rain or at the airport unable to do anything. But when we asked the front desk they said that we were able to pay by the hour to extend our check out time. Yay! It was 15GBP per extended hour, but it definitely beat wandering around the city with all that luggage and a miserable dog! This way we let our dog relax in the room while we went about London(without any luggage) doing our business until the afternoon. Brilliant.

3. Access to public transportation
-Paddington Station is a great place to be situated when you're traveling around London, mainly because there are so many buses going through and of course because you can just about connect to any tube line. If you don't mind a 3-5 minute walk(I know some people do!), you can get to a bus station on Praed Street or take the tube.

4. Clean, thoughtful rooms
-We upgraded ourselves to the Executive Rooms because we had a dog and needed the extra space. The room was very clean, and these executive rooms come with a Nespresso machine and other tech options. You could tell that the rooms were designed with careful thought, even till the smallest details. However, if there was something about the room that I disliked it was the shower stall. For some reason, after a shower if I opened the stall door, the floor became flooded with water!

5. Pet friendly
- I know that this could be a con to some people, but honestly the hotel is VERY clean even if it is a pet friendly hotel. I could not detect any smells or any dog hairs in the room that I entered. Not sure if there was just no pet in that room before, or that the hotel maintenance team is superb, but nevertheless it was very clean. For people with dogs with them, make sure to let the front desk know of your arrival with a pet beforehand. Our room was comfortable enough for two people with luggage and a Border Collie, but it was a slightly upgraded room so I'm not sure how the standard rooms would be. There is a grassy area right outside the lobby on the first floor which was great for walking the dog.

CONS:
1. Food options
- I'm not sure if this is a con, because truth be told it all depends on what the definition of "inconvenient" is to somebody. The hotel is situated at one end of a circular pavilion that has a few restaurants, a Starbucks, and a nice brunch cafe. If you arrive at night like we did most of the shops and restaurants are closed, but if you just walk for 5-10 mins towards platform 12 and exit Paddington station onto Praed Street, there are TONS of restaurants open till late at night. So if you're willing to walk for 5-10 mins to get some grub, then this is not a problem at all. However, if you are a weary night traveller and needs to get food pronto without stepping out far then this hotel location is not too great.

2. Hotel staff
-The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. I did not hint any sense of rudeness. They do try their best to be helpful. I know from a few reviews that I read before booking this hotel that many people complain that the staff are not fluent in English. It's true that most of the staff did not speak English as a first language. Sometimes their thick accents did make it a little hard to understand, but overall I had no real problem getting what I needed.

3. The view?
-Being so close to Paddington Station, the views are of course not magnificent. We had a room overlooking the tracks. We were only there for the comfort of a good room before flying out so views were not a concern for us. However, if you're traveling to sight see and would like a room with a view that shows London's best, then obviously this would not be a hotel to stay in.

CONCLUSION:
Overall I was very satisfied with my stay at this hotel. It was clean and very conveniently located to fit my purpose of stay. My hubby and I don't mind walking, so this was an ideal location for us to get to where we needed to go. We had no problems staying with our Border Collie. The staff were very accomodating to our dog, and the add on hours option and grassy area outside the hotel was a major plus for us. I would definitely stay here again, whether it is with a pet or not. The hotel is a little quiet as it is located away from the busy street near Padding Station, so if you're the type of traveller that needs to see and hear the bustle of the city then this would not be an ideal location for you.

Room Tip: If you need a little more space than the standard rooms, and if you're traveling with a pet, I r...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank saeunpark
Thank you for taking the time to write a very detailed review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and the convenience of the location. I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.
Baku
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Nice hotel and I often stay there. However, this time, end of January, I stayed there for 3 days. When I checked out I did not notice that my Accor card number was missing on the invoice and I cannot now record my missing points in the hotel system, because I always get a "technical error occurred response".

Please be carefull when checking out to make sure that everything is properly recorded.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Novotel London Paddington. I have noted your comments about the credit of points on your last stay , which we can immediatly address.
Could you please send me an e mail with the details of your last stay in order to proceed with the credits.

H6455-gm@accor.com
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed February 10, 2014

I am very pleased with the customer service in this hotel. I joined the accor hotels membership so i would like to obtain points after my stay. However, when i checked out, i didn't see the room service charge on my bill. The customer offered to check and advise back on email. She did that within a day and explained to me the situation on why I could not get points (which is fair). I am very pleased with her proactiveness in helping me that day!!!

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends

Motherwell
Reviewed February 6, 2014

Novotel Paddington is ideal for the purposes of our annual London weekend jaunt. Ideally situated for travel by train/tube and within comfortable walking distance of Hyde Park/Kensington Palace/The Ritz...
Hotel room(510) was very comfortable and clean and well maintained during our 3 night stay.
Breakfasts were wonderful, with a very eclectic food provision.
Lunch on the Friday(31st Jan) was of a very good standard too, with freshly made soup and delicious sandwiches, rounded off with a complimentary crisp shortbread with our tea/coffee.
The staff were extremely attentive, and overseen by the Hotel's manager who was discreet, helpful, polite and very pleasant, considering the high business turnover. Huge compliments to him.
Hopefully, see you very soon, and many thanks for such an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends