“Breakfast lost the 5th Star”

Novotel London Paddington
Ranked #263 of 1,072 Hotels in London
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 9, 2013

My daughter and I stayed at this hotel when we went to a concert at Wembley. Easy to find from the station, the hotel is in a little oasis of London - very clean, quiet and gated. Sainsburys mini market, Starbucks, a pub, pizza restaurant and couple of others on the doorstep as well as the hotel restaurant. A large grassed seating area is a really nice touch. We arrived at midday, as the room wasn't going to be ready until 2pm we left our case and went to get some lunch. The room was lovely, very clean and spacious. We were on the side that looked onto the office block next door - luckily we were on the end so we didn't have just the side of the building in front of us. Staff were friendly. The reason they lost a star, if I could give a half they would get 3.5 not 4, was due to breakfast. We were not told about breakfast when we checked in, and to be honest I didn't even think about it at the time. When we got back from our concert I checked the brochure in the room which said that breakfast is served until midday - perfect....not. We got to breakfast at about 10.30, had juice and toast then went to get a cooked breakfast to find it being cleared away - at 11am. I questioned what was happening, and apparently it used to be served until midday but no longer. We were offered what was left - a couple of sausages which looked ok, some of it had already gone, no mushrooms left etc. Raised it with reception when I checked out and was told it would be reported to the Manager, not sure what has happened, but check the times! Such a shame as it had been perfect up until that point, and as the price includes breakfast I feel very cheated. If you are a solo traveller, bear in mind that we went back to the hotel at 11.45pm and the place was deserted.

Room Tip: Not looking onto the building next door
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
novotelpaddington, General Manager at Novotel London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Many thanks for your review. I was pleased to read you enjoyed the hotel.
I am sorry you felt let down by the breakfast hours. We operate breakfast from 6am to 10am during the week and from 7am to 11am on week ends and bank holidays.
Whilst those are the timings, we always show flexibility and will always be happy to accommodate someone coming just after the closing time to enjoy an a la carte breakfast in the bar to ensure you can have a tasty breakfast.
This obviously did not happen and I have shared your comments with my team to ensure that there is always sufficient food on the buffet until closure time.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon and hopefully to regain the 5th star with a very good breakfast,

There are newer reviews for Novotel London Paddington

Reviewed July 9, 2013

This hotel is a nice change from the rest available around Paddington, which are typically converted town houses and thus low on space, amenities and, often, air con. The Novotel is a modern building in a business park just at the rear of Paddington, so only a 5 minute walk with bags. The area is pleasant and has a nice grassed ampitheatre for office workers to sit in, as well as having a few restaurants and a small Sainsburys.

The hotel itself is lovely. The rooms are standard identikit fare -including the classic Novotel separate toilet and bathrooms- but clean and modern. The atrium is large, light and airy and the staff are friendly and efficient. There is a lovely swimming pool on site which is great for when you get back after a hard days sightseeing and a well equipped gym.

It's nice to see there are a couple of iMacs in reception that you can use to look up places you are going to but problems getting onto them leads to my only negative comment. As a Novotel you do get quite a high proportion of French guests who do have a different view on manners to British people. Just cultural differences but can irk sometimes.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Many thanks for your positive review.
I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to welcoming you again soon,

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Stayed at the hotel for 2 nights in July. Easy to find from Paddington station. Very clean and safety district. Very good breakfast with friendly service. Fast check inn and check out. Quiet and space room and comfortable bed. Both bathtub and shower in the bathroom and a separate toilet.
We got an early booking discount and paid therefore half of the normal fare, 111 pound per night. It was worth what we paid for it. I would recommend to stay there.

Tip: If possible, use Hammersmith & City line if you arrive at Paddington by underground. There are good signs to the hotel and the entry is only 300 meter from the hotel. The Circle line and Bakerloo line entries are much more farther (even 1 km walk).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mika7275

Many thanks for your positive review and the detailed feedback on the best station to use to get to the hotel. You are absolutely right: if you can choose the Hammermsith and City line to stop at Paddington, you are only a very short walk away from the hotel entrance.

I very much look forward to welcoming you again soon,

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Well located hotel just a few minute walk to Paddington Central, Heathrow Express train and Paddington Underground. Also close to bus routes. The Hotel is part of new business park setting with a couple of local restaurants, a mini supermarket, Starbucks and dry cleaner at the your doorstep. We styed here as our base for 2 weeks exploring central London and found the staff extremely welcoming, the room clean and quite and well serviced. Room service was above standard for this type of hotel. The only very, very minor drawback was that the pillows were a bit hard. I have read some of the other reviews about "difficult to find" and"' hard getting my cases the hotel".....I don't know where these people went as my wife and I found the hotel direction easy to follow and had not trouble pulling our cases to the hotel. Once you get out of Paddington Station you are basically on flat paved surface all the way to the hotel. I would recommend a stay here and will go back there on my next trip. No complaints a great place. A little tip...we booked and paid for our accommodation a few months in advance a got a huge saving on the advertised room rate.

Room Tip: If you're staying for an extended period ask for a room at the end of the corridor away fro the...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MelbourneArchitect
novotelpaddington, General Manager at Novotel London Paddington, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2013

Many thanks for taking the time to review your recent stay with us.
I am really pleased to read you enjoyed the hotel and its location and that you found it a perfect base to explore London.

Many thanks again for staying with us and I look forward to welcoming you again when you next visit London,

An Accor traveler
Chepstow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Not to difficult to find, we booked in and were offered an upgrade for £15 which we accepted. The room needed to be made up to a 3 bedroom which we were informed would be done later that afternoon.
Nice room plenty of space. We went out and returned at about 5.30. The room had not been made into a room for 3 people. We had a member of the reception team walk into the room without any notice. Then reception rang twice checking who we were and when we had arrived. House keeping interrupted us getting ready 3 times in half an hour.
When we arrived back late that evening the only evidence of a 3 person room was an extra bed.
Complained to reception as we checked out, they offered the £15 refund but couldn't do it and I would have to trust them because the supervisor was away.
Breakfast was lovely and the staff in there were very good.
Would go back as since this visit the hotel have contacted me and apologised and I am happy that they took note of my complaints. Hopefully my next review will be excellent.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for your review.
Again, as mentioned when I contacted you, I am truly sorry for the disruption caused during your stay.

I have discussed this extensively with my team to ensure that this does not happen again.

I am pleased to read that you woudl try us again and I am sure that your next experience with us will be much more pleasant,

Reviewed July 2, 2013

What can I say? Comfortable beds, great food, great toiletries, a bathtub AND a shower, good wifi and helpful staff. I wish I could afford this hotel every time I traveled. One comment is that its location is actually tucked a bit far away down a cul de sac from Paddington Station. It's about a ten minute walk to the back end of the station (the Circle Line end). Many hotels are quite a bit closer to the station, if that is your need.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
2  Thank Claudia M

Many thanks for your positive review of the hotel. I am very pleased to read that you enjoy all our facilities and I very much hope you will stay with us again soon,