“Check in...Chill...Check Out”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Check in...Chill...Check Out”
Reviewed December 30, 2012

I must say hats off to the Novotel Group. This is a gem of a place to stay in London. I started the process to book a room from my home in Johannesburg, however I had a few questions i need to ask before completing the booking online. I call the hotel directly and was told that reservations was not yet open but someone would contact me within an hour..ya ya sure they will, was my reaction in thought, but within an hour i was contacted and all my questions answered.

After we had landed at Heathrow we embarked on our journey via the London underground. London has changed over the last 2 decades or so, people in the day to day services whether it be behind the cash till of a supermarket or the person dispensing maps and travel tips at one of the several information stands, attitudes and general courtesy has improved. After much ado we arrived at Paddington Station and trudged to Sheldon Place. First impressions is that the hotel is situated in square blocks of a modern metropolis, however a short trip along the canal and down an ally way beside St Mary’s Hospital takes you to the old world of this enchanting suburb and the charm of its world within.

If you want to go sightseeing this is an ideal place to set up camp and if it’s a nice day put your takkies on and take a walk to Kensington Gardens across to Hyde Park to Speakers Corner, Marble Arch unto Piccadilly Circus and Trafalgar Square…Wow it really is breath taking..The sights, the sounds, the smells, the history and the buildings.

My whole experience with this hotel from start to finish i can only say has been a good one The staff are courteous and helpful, Well done Mr Rapin!
On a final note this is an excellent stay for people on business anywhere in London it’s near all transport hubs and caters for all communication needs, there is also a beautiful pool area together with a small gym and sauna so what better recreation after a hard day in the City than a workout, swim, sauna or steam and then a great meal and a few pints at the Pride of Paddington.

I will be back!

Room Tip: Rooms away from the rail track are quieter
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
novotelpaddington, General Manager at Novotel London Paddington, responded to this review, January 19, 2013
Many thanks for posting a review about your recent stay with us. I would like to thank you for the positive review which I have shared with my team who were thrilled.

I hope you will choose us again for your next London break and I look forward to welcoming you again soon,

Guillaume Rapin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed December 30, 2012

This a is a no frills hotel on the back of Paddington rail station. Very good if you want to stay close to the airport. Very comfortable to get Heathrow express, 15 mints from LHR. Breakfast is good and there is free Noreen in the lobby. It is also possible to take a shower before you check in. It is not easy to get there, but that is compensated with a very calm and relaxed environment. Nice if you want to jogging along little Venice.

Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank rjmm155
Many thanks for taking the time to review your stay with us. I am glad to read you had a good stay with us and enjoyed the location of the hotel next to Little Venice and also the very good connection from Paddington to the airport. I would also like to point out the great links from Paddington central to all major London sites, which makes the hotel a perfect location for either a business stay or a leisurely break.

I look forward to welcoming you again very soon,

Kind regards

Seattle
Reviewed December 29, 2012

I stayed here in April 2012 on my first night in London. The location was a great fit for my needs: I had just arrived from Heathrow and was flying out to France the next evening so being such a short distance from Paddington Station was key. Sure, it looks like it is situated in an office park but there is a grocery store right next to the complex and lots of restaurants nearby. And if you need to go anywhere, just jump on the tube. The staff was really nice despite trying to up-sell me to a fancier room. I'm glad I didn't give in because my room was simple but nice enough with a flat screen tv and a roomy bathroom. Bonus points for free wifi for all my devices! Overall I was really happy with my stay and considering the bargain price, thanks to Priceline, I felt like I had done pretty well.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review about the hotel. I am delighted to read you had a pleasant stay with us and found the team friendly.
I could not agree more with you on the hotel location: a perfect hub to get to and from Heathrow airport and only a short distance to all major London Landmarks on the tube.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here for 4 nights in December as part of a Europe trip. Although it is located in Paddington, there are better hotels closer to Paddington station and the restaurants – many more. The Novotel is in a secluded location behind the station next to office buildings and there isn’t much around it that is open after 5pm. The Mecure in Paddington which is cheaper is much better located. In the cold of London’s wet winter, an extra 10 minutes walk is 10 minutes too long.

Pros:
• Great staff – very friendly and accommodating – there is a leisure centre which has a shower and change rooms if you arrive before 2pm and your room is not ready.
• Free wifi – not very fast or reliable but free
• Rooms were big for London – convenient set up with toilet & bathroom separated. The room was very thoughtfully designed.
• Small supermarket within 3 minutes from the hotel – mini bar is expensive
• 5-7 minutes walk to Paddington station – which can be long in the cold when it’s raining.

Cons:
• Rooms are quite aged, floors were visibly dirty and stained – view is over train tracks when trains are running, not for light sleepers.
• Bed was definitely not comfortable – hard. Linen was very average, thin cheap towels
• Sheets are not changed daily – need to request – we left a note on our bed after 2 days
• Room was cold – needed to ask for extra blankets and as a result I ended up with a cold which I then had to carry around Europe for 2 weeks
• The shower could not handle the water flow of the rain shower and it kept flooding so we had to use the hand shower – standing in dirty shower water waiting for it to go down also not fun.

Summary: I cannot recommend this hotel when there are so many other great hotels in London.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry to read you experienced problems with the shower and can assure you this has been looked at since your departure.
I have also had a meeting with our laundry company to discuss the quality of the linen.

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed December 21, 2012

We booked 1 double room and 1 twin room. The twin room was on 2nd floor, looking over the offices and very quiet thanks to 2 double glazed windows. Big room for London but the bathroom could have been a bit larger, especially the shower. A bit difficult to find the right temperature of the water and there was also water leaking from the shower on the floor of the bathroom so the shower mat was completely wet so if you want it to be dry when coming out of the shower, don't put it right outside. The WC is separated. Very large twin beds and comfortable, nice flat TV, tea and coffee facilities with some speculoos, big safe (a laptop fits in easily). The double room was a bit larger than the twin room but was overlooking the noisy road. Once again, no problem thanks to the 2 double glazed windows but impossible to have them open at night. The staff is very friendly and the hotel nice and clean. Breakfast offers enough choice of food and beverages, coffeeis really hot which is not the case in other hotels. We did not try the restaurant in the evening. There is free internet everywhere and possibility to print your boarding passes in the lobby (2 Mac, 1 printer). The hotel is 5 to 8 mnutes away from Paddington, exit the station via the Hammersmith and Circle line at the back of the station, go along the canal and follow the signs. There are some restaurants nearby and a small supermarket. In conclusion, very nice hotel, easy access from the station, excellent if you take the Heathrow Express train.

Room Tip: Ask a room facing the offices if you don't want the noise of the road.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to review the hotel and for your positive feedback.
Since your stay, the leak on the shower door has been looked at to rectify it.
I hope to welcome you again soon,

Reviewed December 18, 2012

We quite like this hotel so close to Paddington Station where we come in from Heathrow. Now the wifi is free, we rate this hotel very well. Our only complaint is that its too hot in the rooms, and there is no easy way to cool them down in the winter, short of opening the double windows.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
novotelpaddington, General Manager at Novotel London Paddington, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. It's always a pleasure to read that you are returning to us and that we have even improved our services.
It's indeed worth mentioning that Wifi is now free throughout the hotel.

I hope to welcome you again soon,

Thatcham, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 16, 2012

Great hotel, great location. Everything you would expect from a Novotel. I little bit of a mix up when I checked in, as apparently I had already checked in! It took a little bit of convincing that I hadn't and the mix up was sorted out very quickly, with a bit of humour. Really nice staff on check in.
Lovely room, on the 6th floor, right at the end of the corridor. Probably the quietest hotel room that I've ever stayed in.
Great location near Paddington Station, a few nice places to eat nearby too.
Lovely breakfast in the morning, swift checkout, all made for a nice stay.
Thanks Novotel!

Room Tip: High floor, end of corridor. Room 602 was ideal.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Many thanks for taking the time to post such a positive review. I was sorry to read there was a mix up on arrival, however it's nice to see my team fixed this quickly and handled the situation with a bit of humour.
I hope to welcome you again soon and take this opportunity to wish you a very happy new year,